South Pittsburg at Gordonsville

powerp

6 minutes ago, powerp said:

As stupid as this is going to sound, the x factor for the game Friday night will be the SP fans. Someone said it earlier, it's a mystery of how our boys flip this switch from looking sluggish to unbeatable when our fans get in it. I can't wait. I may bring speakers in the stands and play the Wyatt remix "Hit 'em in the mouth" or "one time".

Don't forget his number 1 hit ... "HELLO"

2 hours ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

In 1987 everyone was anxiously waiting on the semifinal matchup between South Pittsburg and Greenback. Gordonsville was just the final bump in the road. It was the quarterfinals and we were traveling up there. Everyone was expecting a Pirate victory and our quarterback was asked about it when the Chattanooga news stations came down to conduct interviews about the game. He knew what could happen and made the quote "On any given night...." 

That Friday night at Turney Ford Field was one of the coldest nights that I can remember. Gordonsville went on to demolish us 36-0 proving the old adage "Any given night."

Ah yes, the night the lights went out in Gordonsville

I know as for me I have been saying that I thought SP and Gordy were 1 and 2 all year, so we'll see an epic battle. It's hard to play there, but it only makes you tougher down the road. I still think SP wins 14-21 points, but I've sure been wrong before. One thing about SP and Gordy is they respect each other and know what the other one will bring on the field.  This is a playoff rivalry game. 

3 hours ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

In 1987 everyone was anxiously waiting on the semifinal matchup between South Pittsburg and Greenback. Gordonsville was just the final bump in the road. It was the quarterfinals and we were traveling up there. Everyone was expecting a Pirate victory and our quarterback was asked about it when the Chattanooga news stations came down to conduct interviews about the game. He knew what could happen and made the quote "On any given night...." 

That Friday night at Turney Ford Field was one of the coldest nights that I can remember. Gordonsville went on to demolish us 36-0 proving the old adage "Any given night."

Man I remember that game way too well. The memory still haunts me. That was one of the toughest on the field losses I ever had to endure. Coming off two straight State Championship appearances that was tough to swallow. I knew we were in for a long night when on the very first play I pulled from the guard position to block the linebacker and when I squared him up, he didn't budge. 

13 hours ago, croz6110 said:

Here's what I know...

SP is crazy good this year in regards to the rest of 1A, but our boys aren't scrubs either. On paper, SP should win,  but these games aren't played on paper, and "any given night..." I'm going to go against conventional wisdom and believe that our players and coaches will put it together.

I feel that we've yet to play our best game. We've started slow against some good teams and spotted them 13 points in a couple of games and still won. I'm choosing to believe our coaches will put together a good gameplan, and our players will execute.

I've coached many of these kids, and I know that they are capable of, they just have to do it. Plus, I have one of my own that will be going up against those big defensive linemen that SP has. I'm not picking against him or his teammates. 

So, yes, I believe we have the hosses to win it all. We just have to execute and maybe catch a few breaks.

It will be a tall order, but in the infinite words of Lloyd Christmas, "so you're saying there's a chance..." Yep, I'm saying there's  a chance.

Fair enough. I agree with you. I forgot you had a kid on the team. You should never pick against your own son..even if he’s playing against Alabama. LMBO

5 hours ago, powerp said:

As stupid as this is going to sound, the x factor for the game Friday night will be the SP fans. Someone said it earlier, it's a mystery of how our boys flip this switch from looking sluggish to unbeatable when our fans get in it. I can't wait. I may bring speakers in the stands and play the Wyatt remix "Hit 'em in the mouth" or "one time".

There is a remix for it? I don’t see how it could ever be duplicated. One thing is for sure.. he’s never changed. 

1 hour ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

Hey @croz6110, I know a few places were mentioned on here, but out of those places or somewhere close, where do you suggest as a place the local folk go to eat?

I love Cornerstone, and it's just down the road from the school. If you like mexican food, you can't go wrong with El Corral. If we eat out in Gordonsville, that's where we go.

• Like 1