#1 at 145 Cody Chittum is now at Cleveland

durdon

Welll it’s official and been announced now.  Cody Chittum is now ENROLLED at Cleveland and eligible to wrestle the rest of this season.  It Is going to be fun seeing the number one 145p kid in the country at the AAA state tournaments.  

Welcome back to TN High School wrestling Cody! 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, PackMentality said:

No one in TN is going to provide a great match-up with Chittum.  

Unfortunately i believe you’re right. i was confused when i saw he was coming back because his competition level is going to take a major hit. i think MAYBE Whitworth would put up a fight. maybe

• Upvote 1

The rumor is that Blair is being forced to wrestle a schedule that stays within the borders of New Jersey and only a handful of NJ teams are willing to schedule Blair.  Most of the Blair wrestlers returned to their home states but they will be back at Blair next season.  The question that I have is how is he eligible at Cleveland High School after he just competed in an "All-Star" match against the kid from Oklahoma.  The TSSAA does not allow baseball, basketball or football players to do this until the official high school season is over.  Not trying to stir the pot but asking a legitimate question.

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, cbg said:

The rumor is that Blair is being forced to wrestle a schedule that stays within the borders of New Jersey and only a handful of NJ teams are willing to schedule Blair.  Most of the Blair wrestlers returned to their home states but they will be back at Blair next season.  The question that I have is how is he eligible at Cleveland High School after he just competed is an "All-Star" match against the kid from Oklahoma.  The TSSAA does not allow baseball, basketball or football players to do this until the official high school season is over.  Not trying to stir the pot but asking a legitimate question.

I have been wondering the same thing myself. To me it seems like he would not be eligible but who knows in times like these?

• Upvote 1

I think most people outside of Cleveland are wondering the same thing, what I was told by some other coaches was that tssaa is being really relaxed this year about wrestling outside of tssaa sanctioned events. Cody isn't the only example, their where tssaa wrestlers who competed in the Nuway tournament in gatlinburg last weekend.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, cbg said:

The rumor is that Blair is being forced to wrestle a schedule that stays within the borders of New Jersey and only a handful of NJ teams are willing to schedule Blair.  Most of the Blair wrestlers returned to their home states but they will be back at Blair next season.  The question that I have is how is he eligible at Cleveland High School after he just competed is an "All-Star" match against the kid from Oklahoma.  The TSSAA does not allow baseball, basketball or football players to do this until the official high school season is over.  Not trying to stir the pot but asking a legitimate question.

The TSSAA apparently changed that rule at some point.  There were also a couple of kids from Lakeway Christian Academy that competed in-season at an event not as part of their team that got me to looking at the handbook again.

Not going to go search through the handbook now but the gist of it was that they have removed the "all-star" event restriction from sports with an individual championship.  There is even a FAQ that covers that exact scenario for golf and then mentions it would be the same for other sports and names wrestling.

Certainly interesting to me because it seemed like that was the type of rule change that would have received a little more visibility in the past.

• Upvote 2