Region 7-4A 2021 Outlook

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

3 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Updated Region standings after everybody played their first region game. 

Haywood over Crockett, 48-14

North Side over Obion Central, 28-14

South Gibson over Milan, 44-41.

1) Haywood

2) South Gibson

3) North Side

4) Milan

5) Obion Central

6) Crockett County

Haywood looked pretty good against Crockett Co. in the 1st quarter.  But as the game went on, the Cats seemed to get more and more sloppy.  One thing is for sure, the Tomcats have  got to do some work on their defensive secondary.  There's no more room for mistakes and missed assignments with a trip to Lexington this week and  Milan coming to town in Week 5.

I would have to say that the South Gibson-Milan score surprised me.  I wasn't that shocked that SGC won, but I was a bit surprised by the 44-41 score.  You've got to be good to but up 44 points against Milan (especially at Johnnie Hale).  However, I don't really know why I was surprised.  After all, the Hornets have stung Haywood for 101 points over the past 2 years.

The North Side-Obion Central game played out pretty much as I thought it would.  I know the Indians and Rebels haven't played each other over the past several years, but do you think the Rebels seem to be a much improved team?

With their victory over Milan, there's no doubt that South Gibson is currently in the driver's seat in Region 7-4A.

23 minutes ago, stacmot said:

Haywood looked pretty good against Crockett Co. in the 1st quarter.  But as the game went on, the Cats seemed to get more and more sloppy.  One thing is for sure, the Tomcats have  got to do some work on their defensive secondary.  There's no more room for mistakes and missed assignments with a trip to Lexington this week and  Milan coming to town in Week 5.

I would have to say that the South Gibson-Milan score surprised me.  I wasn't that shocked that SGC won, but I was a bit surprised by the 44-41 score.  You've got to be good to but up 44 points against Milan (especially at Johnnie Hale).  However, I don't really know why I was surprised.  After all, the Hornets have stung Haywood for 101 points over the past 2 years.

The North Side-Obion Central game played out pretty much as I thought it would.  I know the Indians and Rebels haven't played each other over the past several years, but do you think the Rebels seem to be a much improved team?

With their victory over Milan, there's no doubt that South Gibson is currently in the driver's seat in Region 7-4A.

I was shocked by this score as well Stacmot. I thought it would have been in the 20’s not the 40’s. Not about who won though. SGC  has become a consistently good football program, with one of the best coaches IMO around. When they get there offense in rhythm, it is hard to stop for anyone. I figure Milan is really missing Barham in the middle of that D

On 8/31/2021 at 8:53 AM, Tigersandcats said:

Big point spread there. Don’t know if they’ll be 36 pts better than SS. Just get the win and that’s all that matter. Good luck against Crockett. What’s the suns score prediction on y’all’s game?

The Sun predicted a 43-7 victory for Hardin Co. (a 36 point spread), and  Hardin Co. actually won 42-6 (a 36 point spread).  Congratulations to The Jackson Sun and the Tigers.

The Sun wasn't far off with its Haywood-Crockett prediction.  They predicted Haywood by 31, and the Cats won by 34.

As for their Milan-SGC and North Side-Obion predictions, The Jackson Sun was way off.  Lol

Edited by stacmot

40 minutes ago, Tigersandcats said:

I was shocked by this score as well Stacmot. I thought it would have been in the 20’s not the 40’s. Not about who won though. SGC  has become a consistently good football program, with one of the best coaches IMO around. When they get there offense in rhythm, it is hard to stop for anyone. I figure Milan is really missing Barham in the middle of that D

The Hornets do have an excellent program, and Coach Stidham is one of the best.

Milan does seem to be struggling at this point, so maybe Barham is the difference.  However, Milan has lost to two very good teams, and I still think the Dawgs are far better than their record might indicate.   I have no doubt that  Milan will have it all together when they come to Brownsville in two weeks.  There's nothing meaner than a mad dog, and mad dogs scare me!  Lol

It's a long way away, but I just hope we can keep up with South Gibson when we travel to Medina on Oct. 15.

Edited by stacmot

48 minutes ago, stacmot said:

The Sun predicted a 43-7 victory for Hardin Co. (a 36 point spread), and  Hardin Co. actually won 42-6 (a 36 point spread).  Congratulation to The Jackson Sun and the Tigers.

The Sun wasn't far off with its Haywood-Crockett prediction.  They predicted Haywood by 31, and the Cats won by 34.

As for their Milan-SGC and North Side-Obion predictions, The Jackson Sun was way off.  Lol

They were good and bad on predictions for sure

35 minutes ago, stacmot said:

The Hornets do have an excellent program, and Coach Stidham is one of the best.

Milan does seem to be struggling at this point, so maybe Barham is the difference.  However, Milan has lost to two very good teams, and I still think the Dawgs are far better than their record might indicate.   I have no doubt that  Milan will have it all together when they come to Brownsville in two weeks.  There's nothing meaner than a mad dog, and mad dogs scare me!  Lol

It's a long way away, but I just hope we can keep up with South Gibson when we travel to Medina on Oct. 15.

For sure. Never count the Dawgs out. They’ll make some noise before this is over.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

We're halfway through the regular season of the 2021 high school football season. With that being said, it's time to update on where teams are standing.

Final scores from week 5 (September 17)

Haywood 40 Milan 7

Obion Central 20 Crockett County 19

North Side 30 South Gibson 27

Region 8-4A

Kirby 14 Woodale 0

Melrose 32 Fayette Ware 29

Ridgeway 38 Craigmont 0

Current Region 7-4A standing

1. Haywood 4-0 (2-0)

2. North Side 3-2 (2-0)

T-3. South Gibson 4-1 (1-1)

T-3. Obion Central 3-2 (1-1)

T-5. Milan 1-3 (0-2)

T-5 Crockett County 1-4 (0-2)

Next Week games (September 24):

Melrose @ Haywood

Kirby @ Crockett County

Milan @ Huntingdon

North Side @ Liberty

Chester County @ Obion Central

Edited by TryNotToSuck

Wow, this Region (except for Haywood) is tops-turvy. Here’s Northside tied with Haywood for the lead in the Region at 2-0.

Then, South Gibson is tied with Obion County for third, and Milan has slipped to 1-3 in the region.

Tell me that somebody out there predicted that!

We are half-way through the regular season, so some of these teams still have time to “right the ship”. 

I will tell you that Northside impressed me versus Covington. They were way behind at the half (running clock) but came back after halftime and scored 20 points on our defense. That showed some character. People should not overlook them.