2021 South Pittsburg Schedule

PiRaTe._.MiKe

1 hour ago, TheAmbassador said:

He’s the best I remember since the late Dale Gibson. Even Dale wasn’t a soccer style kicker though. 

We had a pretty good Freshman kicker in 2012 ( I think that was the year), but he took up golf and never played after that.  BTW, Dale Gibson wasn't a bad BB/QB in the side-saddle single wing either.  He and Mark Allison punted as well when they played that position.

Edited by rlh

We have a few new guys that will play the LB, DB and DE positions that I think will surprise alot of people and will light you up. The O line, we need help and that's not a secret. I think we have some guys that can be good, but they need to step it up and get strong and be great.  The RB position is at the top of levels for sure and the WR position is at the top. I think for the first time in many years we will be able to finally have some success in throwing the ball and keeping alot of teams from stacking the box.  As for the kicker we have, wow, it's nice to have him. Maybe he can get a little stronger this year and put more kickoffs in the end zone so we don't give up big plays and yardage in that area. I know last year we had some very good coverage at times, but it was to eratic and you just can't have teams starting at the 40 and 45 yard line in a game. DL is going to be probably as strong or better this year. Just got to keep up the tenacity and don't take plays off. Be smart all around and don't make foolish penalties and learn to keep those yappers closed and we'll have a great season.  Also, Dale Gibson, RIP Brother. One of my best friends ever and a neighborhood friend that was like a brother to me.  Great kicker. For sure a Pirate for life!!! 

2 hours ago, sportman said:

We have a few new guys that will play the LB, DB and DE positions that I think will surprise alot of people and will light you up. The O line, we need help and that's not a secret. I think we have some guys that can be good, but they need to step it up and get strong and be great.  The RB position is at the top of levels for sure and the WR position is at the top. I think for the first time in many years we will be able to finally have some success in throwing the ball and keeping alot of teams from stacking the box.  As for the kicker we have, wow, it's nice to have him. Maybe he can get a little stronger this year and put more kickoffs in the end zone so we don't give up big plays and yardage in that area. I know last year we had some very good coverage at times, but it was to eratic and you just can't have teams starting at the 40 and 45 yard line in a game. DL is going to be probably as strong or better this year. Just got to keep up the tenacity and don't take plays off. Be smart all around and don't make foolish penalties and learn to keep those yappers closed and we'll have a great season.  Also, Dale Gibson, RIP Brother. One of my best friends ever and a neighborhood friend that was like a brother to me.  Great kicker. For sure a Pirate for life!!! 

Good post.. we have new guys? Who? I haven’t heard about any new kids. 

1 hour ago, TheAmbassador said:

Good post.. we have new guys? Who? I haven’t heard about any new kids. 

Well I meant new guy's as in younger guy's that didn't get a chance to play much. I know Starkey at DE is going to be a beast, and 25 will flat out lay the wood to you and Wellnton #15 I'm sure that is his number, is going to be someone special to watch. The Robinson kid if he get's a mean attitude can do some special thing's also. Also I think 21 reminds me of the Mabry kid from a couple years ago. Those just stand out that didn't get alot of playing time, except for Starkey, last year. I'd have to go through the whole roster and I know there's alot more who I'm leaving out but don't mean to be, but these are the guy's I saw that got to play last year some that stood out to me. 

On 2/10/2021 at 12:56 PM, Bushog02 said:

Just a question, I heard the hixson brothers are going back to Chattanooga if so how bad will that hurt the team this year. Grider put the time in let him leave when he ready. 

RE: Coach Grider possibly coming to Georgia, I would caution that it’s a different world down here. With the exception of John Reid, Roger Holmes, and, to a certain extent, Sid Fritts, no Tennessee coach has had any luck here. Tim Hammontree did a good job as Reid’s DC at East Paulding, but won nothing as HC at North Gwinnett. Ken Colquitt bombed out in 3 years at Vidallia. The late Tom Weathers had a disastrous two year run at Dade Co. before going to Soddy-Daisy (I was listening to a call-in radio show the other day and someone called from Soddy-Daisy. The host couldn’t stop laughing about the town’s name.) Brad Waggoner went to the finals at Trousdale, but I don’t believe that he ever won a playoff game at Chattooga, Decatur or Lumpkin Co. in Georgia. I’m unfamiliar with what kind of success he had in Alabama. Danny Wilson has improved Cohulla Creek a good bit, but they are still bad. E.K. Slaughter had one good year at Heritage. Bubba Simmons (East Ridge) was fired after two awful years at LaFayette. The guy from Chattanooga Central, who went to Louisville,Courtney something was his name, had one mediocre season at Ridgeland. It’s too early to make a call on the guy that came to Coosa from Marion Co. Although Coosa has chewed up and spit out more than one good coach through the years. I can’t think of any more off hand. Gary Rankin interviewed at Dalton year’s ago. Although I believe it was only a courtesy interview, as Rankin and the superintendent were old friends. Northwest Whitfield offered Benny Monroe everything short of the deed to the school building to take their job after he left Cleveland, but failed to land him. 

I thought of 3 coaches that I left off the list. Bill Price and John Allen both served as HC at Lakeview. Price for one season early in his career, Allen led Lakeview to their best ever season before returning to Tennessee. And then, and I don’t know how I could have forgot him, for he is the man that got me into football, Coach Buddy Windle. He played at Loudon and Mars Hill College before returning home where he was an assistant on Loudon’s 1969 state championship team. He had two tenures as head coach at Chattooga, the first of which produced the best run in school history. The football field at the school is named for him. He returned to Loudon as HC for one season before returning to Georgia where he was HC at Murray Co. and Armuchee before returning to Chattooga where he retired.

36 minutes ago, sportman said:

I can't or we can't control who is coming or going or who the coach is. We have to play with what we have and I'm not worried one way or another about it. Just glad to be able to talk about football like Busgog02 said. Play ball!!!

I wasn’t trying to stir up anything about Coach Grider leaving or staying. I just got to thinking about coaches who have labored in both states and thought that some folks might enjoy reading. 

6 hours ago, chs1984 said:

I thought of 3 coaches that I left off the list. Bill Price and John Allen both served as HC at Lakeview. Price for one season early in his career, Allen led Lakeview to their best ever season before returning to Tennessee. And then, and I don’t know how I could have forgot him, for he is the man that got me into football, Coach Buddy Windle. He played at Loudon and Mars Hill College before returning home where he was an assistant on Loudon’s 1969 state championship team. He had two tenures as head coach at Chattooga, the first of which produced the best run in school history. The football field at the school is named for him. He returned to Loudon as HC for one season before returning to Georgia where he was HC at Murray Co. and Armuchee before returning to Chattooga where he retired.

I believe I read that Price is now at Whitwell High.