Never too early, Coaching Vacancies

TennesseeValley

4 hours ago, OrangeGuru said:

IMO I dont think any will try to leave the high school ranks. The new DHS will not want that to happen and will prevent if at all possible. As for younger kids like has been said, he has had his face in front of them since they were in the youth leagues.

If they follow guidelines and move like TSSAA requires, don’t think they can prevent them from going to school there. Don’t know what there zoning by laws are, but players just need to follow. 

Edited by pioneer42

On 5/17/2021 at 2:04 PM, pioneer42 said:

If they follow guidelines and move like TSSAA requires, don’t think they can prevent them from going to school there. Don’t know what there zoning by laws are, but players just need to follow. 

Not saying anyone will try to prevent anything and all rules will be followed.  I just think Coach Strayhorn standards will be higher so as not to create any kind of issues even though rules are followed 110%. Cant prevent it if that is what the parents and kids want but I doubt it will be encouraged with current class of kids. 

1 hour ago, OrangeGuru said:

Not saying anyone will try to prevent anything and all rules will be followed.  I just think Coach Strayhorn standards will be higher so as not to create any kind of issues even though rules are followed 110%. Cant prevent it if that is what the parents and kids want but I doubt it will be encouraged with current class of kids. 

No doubt he is well respected and he won’t encourage it for sure. Just saying a serious basketball parent might seriously consider it especially 8th grader or 7th if their by laws don’t require them to move houses. 

40 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

No doubt he is well respected and he won’t encourage it for sure. Just saying a serious basketball parent might seriously consider it especially 8th grader or 7th if their by laws don’t require them to move houses. 

I thought that any 8th grader can go to any school that they choose coming out of their 8th grade year anywhere in the state according to TSSAA. Does that system say and do something different with that?

2 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

There is also enough basketball talent in Dyersburg he shouldnt have to pull kids away from Dyer Co. You might seem some trickle over but he should be able to do fine if he can get kids that are already in the system to come play.

4 hours ago, BigOrangeBaller said:

I thought that any 8th grader can go to any school that they choose coming out of their 8th grade year anywhere in the state according to TSSAA. Does that system say and do something different with that?

I am talking about zoning bylaws between Dyer County and Dyersburg. TSSAA is fine, but say an 8th grader in Bradford or another city tries to go to South Gibson and not live in their zone you can’t do it. Don’t know if Dyersburg and Dyer County have strict zoning restrictions or not. May be fine to live in county and go to Dyersburg City. 

2 hours ago, SportsWestTN said:

There is also enough basketball talent in Dyersburg he shouldnt have to pull kids away from Dyer Co. You might seem some trickle over but he should be able to do fine if he can get kids that are already in the system to come play.

He has run a pretty well oiled machine as far as spring basketball in that neck of the woods a while, a long while. A kid in his system a parent won’t have to worry about them getting enough gym and game reps. You know there are coaches in West TN in HS and a small college in this area who don’t play much in off season and some of them (small college) that don’t practice hardly at all even during season. You want to win championships and a Gold Ball you better be in the gym 24/7. 

Edited by pioneer42

On 5/17/2021 at 7:59 AM, BallIsLife1 said:

Northcutt is a great guy, veteran coach who knows his stuff, but he's got his hands full with a North Side Girls team that hasn't seen a winning season in about 10 years. The culture is not there nor is the talent. He will go from finishing 8th in 14 AA to probably finishing 3rd in a 4 team district. (Beating Liberty Tech) They won't beat South Side or South Gibson.

Agreed. This team will not beat South Side or South Gibson, but the expectations for this team is to not beat the Lady Hornets or the Lady Hawks.  You have to view North Side girls the same as JCM in boys and girls. First, this is the best coach North Side had since Farris Lowery. That is clearly a fact. This girls basketball team is currently on a 65 game losing streak. They only scored above 32 points in only three games, and failed to score 40 in a single game. I can't believe what I'm about to say this, but they actually got worse compared to the prior years. 

It's good to see this team entering a new district, where they have won 4 district games since the beginning of the 2014 season. And they didn't win a single district game in the district that we just completed (I think it's 14-AA). That's a 4-year stretch.

Having Northcutt on board is great for the program. The ladies on this team can't practice, because they don't have any players to practice (only 7-8 players I believe on the team). It'll take some time, it'll take some years to get the job done. If North Side girls can win 5 games next year, than 5 more in 22-23, then they probably won't be a bad team in 23-24. 

If North Side still had their previous coach (I already forget her name lol) they were destined to lose by South Side and South Gibson by 50+ (and South Side rest their starters). Having Northcutt on staff, cut that deficit from 50 to about 25 points. I know he will not get embarrassed. 

None of the hires that JMCSS has made will effect South Side's dominance. However, it'll be stability and neither of these teams (JCM and North Side girls) will not be terrible in 2025. I'm not saying that these teams will head to Murfreesboro, but they will not be a team where it's a guarantee win anytime you play them.