Jamborees in West Tennessee -2021

CHARGERFAN

On 7/7/2021 at 7:53 AM, CHARGERFAN said:

Covington Is playing South Fulton. I don’t know anything about them. An internet search says they are a 1A school, and they went 3-6 last year. I would appreciate any info on them.

I was surprised when I saw this matchup. Idk what SF returns but I don't think it makes much of a difference. Covington will be head and shoulders above the Red Devils. No disrespect at all to SF I'd be saying the same if y'all was playing us. But I think this will be a good opportunity for your younger players to get some work. SF will benefit as well if they come out injury free because they won't see a tougher team all season. 

6 hours ago, WarEagleCartman said:

I was surprised when I saw this matchup. Idk what SF returns but I don't think it makes much of a difference. Covington will be head and shoulders above the Red Devils. No disrespect at all to SF I'd be saying the same if y'all was playing us. But I think this will be a good opportunity for your younger players to get some work. SF will benefit as well if they come out injury free because they won't see a tougher team all season. 

In the past, we have often seen Covington match up with Dyersburg in this event. But, since they are both in Region 7-3A now, that was not going to happen in a jamboree. Then too, Covington plays Munford to open the regular season, so that matchup would not work. Covington also has Dyer County on our schedule this year, per Max-preps. So that’s 3 possible opponents eliminated. 

I’m not certain how this matchup came about. Other teams might have similar issues, though. Anyway, I will be glad just to see some live football.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

• 5 weeks later...

The Paris, TN 2021 Jamboree is next Fri. Aug. 13. It will be held at Bethel University’s Stadium in McKenzie, NOT in Paris this year (HCHS football field is getting artificial turf installed! Awesome!)
Scheduled games are: 

6 pm Murray vs Stewart Co.
7 pm Dresden vs West Carroll 
8 pm Paducah Tilghman vs Jackson North Side
9 pm Henry County vs Haywood County

I don’t know ticket costs, just bring $10 and you should be fine.

7 hours ago, Purple & Gold Standard said:

Why in the world is Covington playing SF?

Well, just a guess, but I assume that they select the 8 teams to play in the Jamboree, then try to match them up without pairing teams that play in the regular season. For this set of 8 teams, I looked at their schedules this year and found that a lot of them will meet each other in the regular season. In particular, here’s how that looks:

Dyer County plays Dyersburg, Crockett Co., Mumford, and Covington

Covington plays Dyer Co., Dyersburg, and Munford

Dyersburg plays Dyer Co., Munford, and Covington

Munford plays Dyersburg and Dyer Co.

Crockett Co. plays Dyer Co. and Obion Co.

Obion plays Crockett

Then, they bring in USJ and South Fulton. These are outliers, I.e. they have none of the above 6 on their schedule. 

I also assume that as the home team, Dyersburg gets first choice and picked Crockett Co.  So, it’s not surprising that Covington ends up with one of the two outliers.

52 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

This is the new format for the Jamboree in Dyersburg. 6:00 PM start. Admission: $8

Dyer County vs USJ

Crockett County vs Covington

Obion Central vs Munford 

Dyersburg vs Gibson County. 

I’m taking that Gibson County is going to replace South Fulton.

That's an interesting turn of events. Covington hasn't played Crockett County recently, but these teams have had some battles in the past. However, Covington has the edge all time, leading the series 12-3 per the high school database.

Recent games showed Covington winning 35-30 in 2017 and 27-6 in 2018. Prior to that the teams had last played in 2011, with the Chargers also winning that one 49-20.

Edited by CHARGERFAN