WEEK 2: Powell @ Maryville

keepitmoving

Figured I would start a new thread in English.....lol  Maryville is going to be fresh as a daisy Thursday night after playing the local middle school team last week.  Powell was in a 4+ hour game and it was a knock down drag out fight.  Will be interesting to see if Powell has any thing left in the tank on the short turnaround.  

23 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Figured I would start a new thread in English.....lol  Maryville is going to be fresh as a daisy Thursday night after playing the local middle school team last week.  Powell was in a 4+ hour game and it was a knock down drag out fight.  Will be interesting to see if Powell has any thing left in the tank on the short turnaround.  

I can't understand a word of this. Where's the "ofishull" thread?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, keepitmoving said:

I watched that game and it was very hard to watch at times with so many penalties and injuries. Both Maryville and Powell kicked off at the same time and the Powell game was just ending it's first half just shy of the end of the third Quarter in the Maryville game. It was 42 to 0 so I drove down to the Sonic to watch the rest and it was the same way in the second half as the first. I ordered a second round to keep from being asked to leave for loitering. Powell won that game with the on side kick gamble topped off by the interception at the end, other wise Anderson County exposed most of their weaknesses as to Maryville running pretty Vanilla stuff. No need to show off your weapons when all you need were pea shooters for that contest. That game was played more for the money for Heritage then anything, I can assure you Maryville fans weren't excited about it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

Maryville until Powell proves they belong.  Powell has the athletes to win it but Maryville is a machine, disciplined and better coached in games like this. 

Pretty much where I am, as well.  

Nobody other than Alcoa has been able to beat Maryville at Maryville in this century, and nobody other than Oakland and Alcoa have been able to beat them in the regular season, period in the last decade plus.  

Powell is talented.  They are certainly capable of scoring a lot of points.  But defensively they are capable of giving up a lot of points, too, as we say on Friday night.  AC's offense is very good, but Maryville's is every bit as good if not better.  Maryville's QB is verballed to Furman, and GQ doesn't take a QB who can't play.  They have a speed back as good as any in the area, and the wide receivers are really talented, probably the only group in East Tennessee who can even come close to matching Powell's WR corps from a depth perspective.  

And while Powell has played in some tough places, none of this Powell team has seen an environment like they will see on Thursday.  As they say in the SEC ads, it just means more.  Shields is a tough place for any visiting team to play.  Ask Oakland.  

Being one who has deep ties to both programs, I am not going to make a pick so I don't piss off one side or the other.   Let's just say that it's going to be a really good football game, IMO, and both teams will get better from playing it.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, HTV said:

Pretty much where I am, as well.  

Nobody other than Alcoa has been able to beat Maryville at Maryville in this century, and nobody other than Oakland and Alcoa have been able to beat them in the regular season, period in the last decade plus.  

Powell is talented.  They are certainly capable of scoring a lot of points.  But defensively they are capable of giving up a lot of points, too, as we say on Friday night.  AC's offense is very good, but Maryville's is every bit as good if not better.  Maryville's QB is verballed to Furman, and GQ doesn't take a QB who can't play.  They have a speed back as good as any in the area, and the wide receivers are really talented, probably the only group in East Tennessee who can even come close to matching Powell's WR corps from a depth perspective.  

And while Powell has played in some tough places, none of this Powell team has seen an environment like they will see on Thursday.  As they say in the SEC ads, it just means more.  Shields is a tough place for any visiting team to play.  Ask Oakland.  

Being one who has deep ties to both programs, I am not going to make a pick so I don't piss off one side or the other.   Let's just say that it's going to be a really good football game, IMO, and both teams will get better from playing it.  

Well said, HTV (and Utah). Maryville is a machine, and they will capitalize on every mistake that Powell makes in this one (especially the post-whistle shenanigans).

The Panthers are going to have to prove that they are capable of playing/acting like they've been their before, but I don't expect we'll see that. I'd love to see Powell pull it off, but I think Maryville will bottle them up in the red zone.

21 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Well said, HTV (and Utah). Maryville is a machine, and they will capitalize on every mistake that Powell makes in this one (especially the post-whistle shenanigans).

The Panthers are going to have to prove that they are capable of playing/acting like they've been their before, but I don't expect we'll see that. I'd love to see Powell pull it off, but I think Maryville will bottle them up in the red zone.

I'd like to see the upset happen and "to be the man you have to beat the man!"

Maryville will bleed the clock out and make Powell press and not get into a rhythm. Close game, but Maryville 34 Powell 24