Top 6A takes on top DivII-AA when Oakland Host Lipscomb Academy

Blaze45

That was a great game and both teams played very hard. I was amazed that the talent level of IMG (by way of Lipscomb) Academy was actually all around better than Oakland. I've seen Lipscomb's Freshmen team play for several years and most of those guys wasn't on those teams. But it does not matter to me how many out of state players DL had because I went to see two good football teams play and that's what I saw. The better coached team won as was evident by the way they overcame all the adversity to pull out the win.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tata said:

That was a great game and both teams played very hard. I was amazed that the talent level of IMG (by way of Lipscomb) Academy was actually all around better than Oakland. I've seen Lipscomb's Freshmen team play for several years and most of those guys wasn't on those teams. But it does not matter to me how many out of state players DL had because I went to see two good football teams play and that's what I saw. The better coached team won as was evident by the way they overcame all the adversity to pull out the win.   

This is a superlative contest, brother.  "Best all around" doesn't cut it.  

3 hours ago, ttitan27 said:

Thanks BreadTruck28, I wasn't aware of that.   I incorrectly assumed it was like the pros and a missed attempt would be placed at the spot of the kick. Makes sense now.   I get it. 

It’s something Coach Martin has done for years, the first time I saw it, I was definitely questioning why we were trying a 50+ yard FG. 

6 hours ago, ttitan27 said:

LA had many opportunities to win the game.   First and goal inside the 5 twice and zero points?  3 timeouts wasted during the game because the play clock was running out?  Two of those in the second half.   Would have helped to have those on the final drive.   Not able to stop the 2 pt conversion.   Should have punted instead of the very bad field goal attempt that was blocked.   Even if it wasn't blocked it was very low percentage of making a 45 yarder.  All those yards LA racked up was great until it got to crossing the goal line in the second half. 

Lol...to suggest a ref was trying to hype a crowd is one of the more outrageous claims I've heard.  Crowd didn't need any help getting pumped late in the game.   Were they the best officiating crew I've seen over the last 6 years I've been in the press box working?  Absolutely not.  Weren't the worst either.   Lots of times if the remote for the clock isn't working I will have an official setting next to me in the box running the clock.   They don't give a rat's rear end who wins a game.  They are trying to do their jobs well and go home.   My understanding is that the head of officials for their association was there last night so they were definitely trying to mind their business.   Calls were made both ways that I didn't necessarily agree with.   

LA could have won. They didn't.   Oakland offense, defense, and special teams rose to the occasion and made the plays when it counted.   They did exactly what they were supposed to do.   They took what was theirs.   

Refs helped Oakland nice post tho

6 hours ago, y2kgt46 said:

You would be hard pressed to say a 10 game series between these 2 teams would be far removed from a 5-5 or 4-6 split. Very evenly matched talent wise. I was glad to be able to watch such a great High School Football game.

Pivotal moments that defined the caliber of game it was from my perspective

1. LA opening drive setting the tone early, smash mouth football (for a spread team at least)

2. Oakland defense rising to the occasion at the goal line after a costly fumble on the ensuing kickoff, very gritty & hard nosed

3. Oakland defense reaping the fruits of their labor and getting pressure to get the scoop and score, relentless aggression

4. LA's almost quarter long drive to show they can play ball control with their spread attack offense, quite impressive imho 

5. A little luck on a play that was poised to go nowhere and a couple of good athletes making a play to go up 14

6. A star being a star on a 75 yard house call, great individual effort and athleticism

7. Defensive halftime adjustment to keep LA bottled up in the 2nd half, Coaching Kudos right there

8. Lack of Offensive halftime adjustment, LA became predictable as game wore on & Oakland defense smelled blood

9. The pass interference call on the go ahead drive for Oakland, way to make the most of situational football

10. The absolute intestinal fortitude of Oakland to win it on the 2 pt. conversion. Straight gumption right there!

11. The desire of the LA offense to give themselves a chance at the 2 yard line with seconds to go.

12. The tenacity and the determination of Oakland defense to define the moment and finish the job, well done

13. In the end, a great exhibition of 2 of the best in TNHSFB, good show LA & Oakland, good show

K

1 hour ago, arshad221 said:

K coach

We are all pretty much respectable on here for the most part, you are incapable of disagreeing and being civil about it, that shows immaturity, meaning either a kid or immature adult. Also, my wife calls me coach, so I am good with it.....lol

Edited by Kevin38

57 minutes ago, Kevin38 said:

We are all pretty much respectable on here for the most part, you are incapable of disagreeing and being civil about, that shows immaturity, meaning either a kid or immature adult. Also, my wife calls me coach, so I am good with it.....lol

You keep quoting me coach, go watch some Oakland film