5A Playoff 2021

Rhea Co.

55 minutes ago, Knoxemdown said:

Just like OR did last year?  by the skin of their teeth... with the help of the refs... to go on to state and get manhandled?

Not sure anybody else would've fared better, although the poster does make it sound like OR was expected to get there, which wasn't the case.

When it comes to Powell, they're gonna have to show me they belong among the top teams in 5A and that means actually doing something in the playoffs

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

Powell should win the East Side of the state, just like OR did last season, biggest competition is probably West, who always plays them tough. 

I'm still not convinced Powell makes it out of the east, although their defense is playing a lot better. A ball-control team like Rhea County could definitely beat them in the quarterfinals. West still strikes me as the team to beat in the east.

7 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I'm still not convinced Powell makes it out of the east, although their defense is playing a lot better. A ball-control team like Rhea County could definitely beat them in the quarterfinals. West still strikes me as the team to beat in the east.

And Central just lays in the weeds like my old friend Govs91…..

• Upvote 1

I'm not feeling as good about MJ's chances as I was before the Station Camp game. I think it will be a shootout in the West. There seems to be a lot of ways it could sort out in the East as well. Knox West's region is much more competitive than the upper East Daniel Boone/Davy Crockett etc., I give that Upper East region one round before Knox West's region is back to playing each other. With Powell I agree with @osunut2 a team like Rhea Co could put them out in the quarters or Walker Valley and Mcminn could put them out earlier like last year. On that side it will be some combination of Rhea or Powell and then on the other side it will be West or Central if they all survive the first two rounds.

3 minutes ago, thefox said:

I'm not feeling as good about MJ's chances as I was before the Station Camp game. I think it will be a shootout in the West. There seems to be a lot of ways it could sort out in the East as well. Knox West's region is much more competitive than the upper East Daniel Boone/Davy Crockett etc., I give that Upper East region one round before Knox West's region is back to playing each other. With Powell I agree with @osunut2 a team like Rhea Co could put them out in the quarters or Walker Valley and Mcminn could put them out earlier like last year. On that side it will be some combination of Rhea or Powell and then on the other side it will be West or Central if they all survive the first two rounds.

One thing is for sure. It's going to be an entertaining November in 5A state-wide.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, osunut2 said:

One thing is for sure. It's going to be an entertaining November in 5A state-wide.

Just not one team that’s heads above everyone else in either side of the state right now. In the west the next 2 weeks is going to be wild for region seeding for sure. Could make for some interesting first round matches up.

Edited by Poundtherock23

4 hours ago, Knoxemdown said:

Just like OR did last year?  by the skin of their teeth... with the help of the refs... to go on to state and get manhandled?

No one from the East side was going to beat Summit last year, they had great lines, those two brothers were game breakers. I don't buy the refs quote, and yes, by the skin of their teeth, usually happens in most playoff games unless a team is really dominant. The OR kids played some good hard football to win the games they did, especially against a very good West team, 

1 hour ago, Poundtherock23 said:

Just not one team that’s heads above everyone else in either side of the state right now. In the west the next 2 weeks is going to be wild for region seeding for sure. Could make for some interesting first round matches up.

It takes a lot of luck to get to the state. The two years Central won, I didn't feel they were necessarily the best team representing the east, but things and luck went their way. I felt there were as many as 3-4 other teams in the area that could have made a strong showing at Cookeville. Last year I didn't feel OR was the best representation, but things worked their way. And with the covid issues of today, that's something else that has to go your way. So many things play into a team making it to Cookeville.

3 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Good point, but I don't think Rhea has the defense to hold Powell down all game. They will try to shorten the game and run the ball, but I don't think that would work. Powell's biggest hazard is West, they have the athletes to cover Powell's receivers and pressure the quarterback. They are well coached and they have some big game experience from the Alcoa game they probably should have won. 

1 minute ago, Cactus Jack said:

No one from the East side was going to beat Summit last year, they had great lines, those two brothers were game breakers. I don't buy the refs quote, and yes, by the skin of their teeth, usually happens in most playoff games unless a team is really dominant. The OR kids played some good hard football to win the games they did, especially against a very good West team, 

I didn't see the game in person.  But I recall 5star tweeting a clear bad snap recovered by West that was blown dead before it was recovered.  If it happened the way it looked in the tweet, it was right up there with the Ole Miss fiasco.  That's all I was refering to.

Also, I was responding the to a poster who made it sound like OR didn't struggle at all.  That was really the point.