Never too early....Who wins Class AA 2022-23

mas1821

4 hours ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

Next week should be some key matchups with WV & Gibson County and then WV & Huntingdon. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it to one of these games. Should be the first round battle(s) of several before this season concludes. It'll be interesting to see if WV plays a little faster against Huntingdon next week, since in the games against taller teams this season...they tend to throw in the old Gibson County drop back press to a zone. After this week, we may or may not have a little more clarity with this District/Region.  

Huntingdon is a tough matchup for any team with their two big posts. Very solid and well coached. GIbson County I am proud of this year. Had some big wins and we have done well considering we lost a Miss Basketball star in Madison Hart. Probably will be several meetings between the three. Westview is always well coached and solid. We will have to try and keep Jada in front of us and close out very quick on your shooters. She makes a living beating her defender and either kicking it to the open girl or taking it to the rim. We will have to have our A game to beat y’all for sure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Huntingdon is a tough matchup for any team with their two big posts. Very solid and well coached. GIbson County I am proud of this year. Had some big wins and we have done well considering we lost a Miss Basketball star in Madison Hart. Probably will be several meetings between the three. Westview is always well coached and solid. We will have to try and keep Jada in front of us and close out very quick on your shooters. She makes a living beating her defender and either kicking it to the open girl or taking it to the rim. We will have to have our A game to beat y’all for sure. 

It's a little different style this year, when I've seen them play. All of our contest should be good & competitive and I believe it's anyone's game any given night between these 3. 

33 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

Westview 44 Gibson County 33...Round 1update. After the 1st quarter, WV shot less than 25% for the game but turned their defensive pressure up in the 2nd half holding GC to 15 points. I can see all of their games going to the 4th and being very tight. Good crowd and good regular season test for both teams. 

Good game. Thought both defenses played really well. Westview made a few more shots. Gibson County has to be more aggressive on the offensive end. But I am proud of their effort and hope we can build off of this. Westview just is a really good team. Congratulations on a good win and always good hospitality at Westview. I agree there will be some battles ahead.

• Like 1

That was a good contest between Huntingdon & Westview. Huntingdon shot well in the first half, but not as well in the 2nd when WV started dropping two to the middle of the lane on the backside to cut that drop pass off. WV shot poor in the 1st half, but got enough in the 2nd half to get the win. I thought the referees weren't consistent for either team at all & and the short one (Ward) was whistle happy tonight which is kind of typical in big matchups from past experiences of watching him call these type of games. Several missed walks (both squads), ticky tack fouls called several times, and good old fashioned fouls let go (for both teams) especially at the end when WV fouled the big post twice before she turned it over in the final 20 seconds of the game. WV came out in a press in the first quarter and got up by 7-8, then got out of it the late 1st quarter and Huntingdon came back. Very impressed with Huntingdon's 3 point shot in the 1st half. Huntingdon had a 2 point lead at half. Huntingdon's interior was dominant in the middle pretty much all game. Between WV, Huntingdon, and GC this is going to be a really interesting Region tourney. Two very good teams out there tonight with several good players all over the court. 

Edited by LetsGoBrandon

1 hour ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

That was a good contest between Huntingdon & Westview. Huntingdon shot well in the first half, but not as well in the 2nd when WV started dropping two to the middle of the lane on the backside to cut that drop pass off. WV shot poor in the 1st half, but got enough in the 2nd half to get the win. I thought the referees weren't consistent for either team at all & and the short one (Ward) was whistle happy tonight which is kind of typical in big matchups from past experiences of watching him call these type of games. Several missed walks (both squads), ticky tack fouls called several times, and good old fashioned fouls let go (for both teams) especially at the end when WV fouled the big post twice before she turned it over in the final 20 seconds of the game. WV came out in a press in the first quarter and got up by 7-8, then got out of it the late 1st quarter and Huntingdon came back. Very impressed with Huntingdon's 3 point shot in the 1st half. Huntingdon had a 2 point lead at half. Huntingdon's interior was dominant in the middle pretty much all game. Between WV, Huntingdon, and GC this is going to be a really interesting Region tourney. Two very good teams out there tonight with several good players all over the court. 

Huntingdon is tough for sure. They play really well at home too. We got them at there place Friday Night. Their guards have really improved from last year. Their ball pressure is really good and they can shoot. I listened to it on my phone while we were playing. Another big win for you guys. Congratulations!! Whoever the two that gets out of this Region will be tough for sure. So you are saying Westview got away with some fouls late in the game?? I heard on the radio the Westview announcers saying Wilkins almost got a technical or did get one. Couldn’t hardly hear in the gym. They are tough for sure. Y’all are too. Congrats again!! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Huntingdon is tough for sure. They play really well at home too. We got them at there place Friday Night. Their guards have really improved from last year. Their ball pressure is really good and they can shoot. I listened to it on my phone while we were playing. Another big win for you guys. Congratulations!! Whoever the two that gets out of this Region will be tough for sure. So you are saying Westview got away with some fouls late in the game?? I heard on the radio the Westview announcers saying Wilkins almost got a technical or did get one. Couldn’t hardly hear in the gym. They are tough for sure. Y’all are too. Congrats again!! 

He didn’t get a technical but should have. Girl for Huntington fouled out. Instead of getting a sub, he kept arguing with the refs about missing a call on the other end. While this was going on, the other two refs gave the Westview shooter the ball to shoot her free throws. (Mind you the girl that fouled out was still on the floor and there were not any Huntington players in the free throw lane like required). Finally they got the girl other that fouled out and got Huntington down in free throw lane but made Westview girl have to reshoot her free throws. Not very good awareness by the refs 

2 minutes ago, sportslover88 said:

He didn’t get a technical but should have. Girl for Huntington fouled out. Instead of getting a sub, he kept arguing with the refs about missing a call on the other end. While this was going on, the other two refs gave the Westview shooter the ball to shoot her free throws. (Mind you the girl that fouled out was still on the floor and there were not any Huntington players in the free throw lane like required). Finally they got the girl other that fouled out and got Huntington down in free throw lane but made Westview girl have to reshoot her free throws. Not very good awareness by the refs 

It was an exciting game. Good atmosphere. It is a shame that refs can’t get it together. Either way. Two really good teams. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sportslover88 said:

I think somebody posted Ward was one of  the refs. If it was Keith Ward he usually does a good job. I was listening on the radio and sounded like Huntingdon missed a layup to take the lead with about 18 seconds left. Sounded like a dogfight for sure. 

22 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I think somebody posted Ward was one of  the refs. If it was Keith Ward he usually does a good job. I was listening on the radio and sounded like Huntingdon missed a layup to take the lead with about 18 seconds left. Sounded like a dogfight for sure. 

Missed a layup and got the rebound and got hacked and no call.

I hate to have to talk about refs after such a hard fought game by both teams. I am not saying they cost Huntingdon the game. Westview won the game. They just shouldn’t even be an issue. I’ve seen the animated ref several times this season. You do not want a close game down the stretch because he may do just about anything. I saw Wilkins really questioning him in the tunnel at halftime.

Edited by Waker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Waker said:

Missed a layup and got the rebound and got hacked and no call.

I hate to have to talk about refs after such a hard fought game by both teams. I am not saying they cost Huntingdon the game. Westview won the game. They just shouldn’t even be an issue. I’ve seen the animated ref several times this season. You do not want a close game down the stretch because he may do just about anything. I saw Wilkins really questioning him in the tunnel at halftime.

York is the best team in AA. They have the best player and a VERY good supporting cast. The have “enough “ bench to do what they need to. This team scores inside out and guard/post and slow down or transition/fast break. They’ll be in Murfreesboro barring key injuries and everyone will see.