Enrollment Numbers

25 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

Imo the TSSAA should go with a true cutoff number and not worry about same number of schools in each class. Whole purpose is to have schools with similar enrollments playing each other instead of having equal number in each class but the TSSAA doesn't ever do what is right. 

No matter what "hard" number you set, there will always be schools on or near that number,  higher & lower.   

The only way to NOT have schools close to a cutoff number is to go ahead and lump everyone into 1 class.  

Somebody go ahead & set what you think is a "fair" cutoff number for each class and then we can take a look at where the schools fall.  

3 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

No matter what "hard" number you set, there will always be schools on or near that number,  higher & lower.   

The only way to NOT have schools close to a cutoff number is to go ahead and lump everyone into 1 class.  

Somebody go ahead & set what you think is a "fair" cutoff number for each class and then we can take a look at where the schools fall.  

1A is my only concern as of now and not being a jerk by no means.I also think 1A is the hardest to set because you do have football schools with less than 150.So in my honest opinion the cutoff for 1A shouldnt be more than double of the 150.So a cutoff of 300 I think would be fair.Most of these teams field about 35 to 45 kids.When you get to the 350 and higher it "in most cases" is easier to field a team with enough to practice with on a average basis.Most 2A schools around East Tn field 50 or more.Just my thoughts and are not backed up with alot of facts.lol.

3 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

1A is my only concern as of now and not being a jerk by no means.I also think 1A is the hardest to set because you do have football schools with less than 150.So in my honest opinion the cutoff for 1A shouldnt be more than double of the 150.So a cutoff of 300 I think would be fair.Most of these teams field about 35 to 45 kids.When you get to the 350 and higher it "in most cases" is easier to field a team with enough to practice with on a average basis.Most 2A schools around East Tn field 50 or more.Just my thoughts and are not backed up with alot of facts.lol.

I think a hard cut for 1A should be 350 to 360. No more than that. You have schools with enrollments of 120 or less playing football. Their roster size is no more than 25 on a good year and alot of that is made up of 8th graders.

6 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

You just said "300" so SP at 303 would be classified 2A.  :roflolk:

Just now, lakecounty1968 said:

I think a hard cut for 1A should be 350 to 360. No more than that. You have schools with enrollments of 120 or less playing football. Their roster size is no more than 25 on a good year and alot of that is made up of 8th graders.

We are 1 of those teams.8th and 9th 3 Srs.I just think 350 is a tad too high myself.320 is my highest bid!Good luck to your boys,I'm just setting back and waiting for you all to go on a roll!

5 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

I'm thinking the cutoff is around 371 (50 schools) with Houston County slipping in. 

The one before that would be Gordonsville at 365 (49 schools) .

It's not much more than what you think is fair.

16 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

68,  I'm just trying to show regardless of a division divided equally or by a hard set enrollment number there will be schools at or near the breaking points.   There just isn't any way around it. With 6 classes and roughly 300 DI football playing schools,  surely each class can handle 50.  

Edited by Southtowner

35 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

I'm thinking the cutoff is around 371 (50 schools) with Houston County slipping in. 

The one before that would be Gordonsville at 365 (49 schools) .

It's not much more than what you think is fair.

I am from the school of thought that my school will play anyone. LC normally plays a difficult schedule anyway. I just think there should be hard cutoff instead of equal about of schools per class. Equal number doesn't mean that it is fair. Gleason with 40 boys to choice from shouldnt have to play team x with 150 to choose from. Although the numbers for schools in other classes maybe 250 boys to choice from against 400 to choose is more fair than what a school such as Gleason as to compete against numbers wise. There are several small 1 A schools that faces this challenge. The TSSAA seems like they look out for the bigger schools when it comes to classification.