Enrollment Numbers

i think the biggest thing is that there isn't going to be something that is absolutely fair for everyone. the best answer is what is *most fair* and works for the majority. some of the schools outside the bell curve for each classification - whatever system they decide to use - are either going to have an advantage or disadvantage. it's just how it's going to work.

18 hours ago, Southtowner said:

Nobody likes my stabs?  

No comments?

No critquing?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

I'm still not sure what they'll do with Chattanooga Prep. If they have 246 in 9-10 currently with no girls, their scaled over four years and multiplied x 2 (all male) would seem to be approx 1,000. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

I am from the school of thought that my school will play anyone. LC normally plays a difficult schedule anyway. I just think there should be hard cutoff instead of equal about of schools per class. Equal number doesn't mean that it is fair. Gleason with 40 boys to choice from shouldnt have to play team x with 150 to choose from. Although the numbers for schools in other classes maybe 250 boys to choice from against 400 to choose is more fair than what a school such as Gleason as to compete against numbers wise. There are several small 1 A schools that faces this challenge. The TSSAA seems like they look out for the bigger schools when it comes to classification.

I understand. 

19 minutes ago, crow said:

4 classes. 1-275, 276-575, 576-1150, 1151 and above. Very unpopular opinion and I know T$$AA won’t cut football to 4 but with the private split I think this one would work well. 

That proposal would look like this:

1A:  24 schools. Largest Middleton.

2A: 87 schools.  Smallest Hancock County. Largest Memphis East.

3A: 96 schools.  Smallest Community High. Largest Tennessee High.

4A: The rest:  92 schools. Smallest Cocke Co. Largest Collierville.

Roughly.  

23 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Chattanooga Preparatory School is an all-boys public charter school located in Chattanooga, Tennessee. We started with an inaugural sixth-grade class and will add an additional class each academic year until we reach 12th grade for a total enrollment of 500 students.  

straight from their website.  ^

I don’t think it’s rocket science for the TSSAA to just double the enrollment figures for any school with just boys or girls in all sports. And keep the Privates separated in the Playoffs. 

3 hours ago, Southtowner said:

Roughly.  

Yeah I knew the 1A section would be much smaller but without making it a really wide margin there’s no way around it for the really small 1A’s. Unfortunately the small 250 or less students schools are disappearing. As time passes they will either be playing schools with 3x-4x their enrollment or in a very small number of schools in their classification. With consolidation and small communities either growing, drying up, or being absorbed by larger ones the 200 student high school I’m afraid will be a very rare sight in the future. 

Edited by crow

6 hours ago, Southtowner said:

Roughly.  

I guess to even it out some the 0-400, 401-800, 891-1200, 1201 and up but the small schools likely wouldn’t like that, more teams and bigger teams in there. 

7 hours ago, lakecounty1968 said:

I am from the school of thought that my school will play anyone. LC normally plays a difficult schedule anyway. I just think there should be hard cutoff instead of equal about of schools per class. Equal number doesn't mean that it is fair. Gleason with 40 boys to choice from shouldnt have to play team x with 150 to choose from. Although the numbers for schools in other classes maybe 250 boys to choice from against 400 to choose is more fair than what a school such as Gleason as to compete against numbers wise. There are several small 1 A schools that faces this challenge. The TSSAA seems like they look out for the bigger schools when it comes to classification.

A solution for schools that are small like Gleason and can barely field a teammPlay 8 man football. I'd be willing to bet several other small schools would join you in the endeavor.  I could see schools like Bradford, who doesn't have a team, suddenly forming one. If yo took the smallest te schools playing ball form an 8 man league then have some non football schools join in, imagine what could be created on a Friday night. 8 man ball is big in Texas, Arizona, and other places. It is the center piece for these small towns. I could se larger schools shifting to the 8 man format and you might have to have classes. I'd be all in on some 8 man ball

• Upvote 1