5A/6A Scrimmages

On 7/24/2022 at 11:38 AM, WaCoJaCo said:

Most DB fans get a little frustrated come scrimmage time. I don't recall at any time when DB went into a scrimmage to win it, or see how many scores they can get. It's frustrating to the fans because we're all ready for some football and we're all wanting to see the horses run. I think most staffs are like this but there are some that would prefer to show off rather than teach and learn. It's even worse if you have a bunch of players returning. You pretty much already know what they can do so you tend to sprinkle in the younger and less experienced guys to see how they react. I could probably count on one hand the number of scrimmages DB has "won" in the past 10 years. I've learned not to get excited or dejected over a simple scrimmage. 

While I never approach the outcome of a scrimmage as a win or loss, my biggest takeaway is how a team looks from a standpoint of physically competing with a decent opponent. We can talk about not "showing" this or that, but you can't hide who you are physically. I saw all three scrimmages last year and thought the ceiling was 7-3 after watching them having a tough time in all three scrimmages. This is our grandson's final year. I'm hoping for an improvement on last year's record, and with the schedule, I think it's possible. 

17 hours ago, JDHoss said:

While I never approach the outcome of a scrimmage as a win or loss, my biggest takeaway is how a team looks from a standpoint of physically competing with a decent opponent. We can talk about not "showing" this or that, but you can't hide who you are physically. I saw all three scrimmages last year and thought the ceiling was 7-3 after watching them having a tough time in all three scrimmages. This is our grandson's final year. I'm hoping for an improvement on last year's record, and with the schedule, I think it's possible. 

DB has a very easy schedule in the first 5 games, I will be shocked if they win any of them by less than 20 points.     Greeneville and Science Hill are going to be losses but the other 3 games are winnable.     I don't think it is out of reason to expect 8-2.

On 7/22/2022 at 11:41 AM, ADS1 said:

I'm hearing a Rhea County / White County scrimmage on 8/2/22

and a Rhea County at Giles County scrimmage on 8/10/22

Looks like they have added a scrimmage at Tenn Tech Aug 5th against Macon Co. 

The Giles Co Scrimmage has been moved to Sewanee 

Edited by Rhea Co.
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 8:47 PM, mondo44 said:

Mt Juliet returns their best 5 or 6 players. Throneberry missed most of the season last year with a collarbone injury. He is a difference maker.  Started 5 games at QB as a freshman. I expect it to be Henry County and them from the West.  Other than Gallatin their non region schedule is soft. I will see them next Friday when they scrimmage Hendersonville. 

Forgot they play Lebanon .  Lebanon is really good.

After countless attempts to try and find any type of info on the scrimmage last night… I came up with a Hville based highlight video. Looks like the first team scored at least 2-3 Tds, all while making our defense look really silly at times, no surprise there..Other than that I have no idea 

Edited by MJGOLDENBEARS

2 to 2.  MJ scored on a long TD run by Throneberry and short TD run by the RB. Hville scored on a 70 yd run by soph QB Caleb Sams and a 40 yd run by Stevin Mack.  After that they went to speciality situations, goal line and 20 yards and in, didn’t track that as I was watching the freshman teams at the other end.  Overall I thought Throneberry looked pretty good running and throwing.  MJ had success running outside not so much inside. Both teams need work on tackling.   Hville moved the ball pretty consistently on the ground using both Baker and Sams at QB.    

On 7/22/2022 at 9:11 AM, YoungBuck said:

I heard GT is no longer coaching on staff.  I think this is something that may give DB and teams throughout the year an advantage over AC.  Chris Thacker calling plays > Davy calling them...

Let me get in there and mix it up. Always a good time when we get together at the soup kitchen and chop it up about football.