Practice

Rebelman51

3 hours ago, LDFL24 said:

I can't speak for all teams or  all west tn teams but there are teams  that are holding 5v5 practices everyday during a basketball period. I truly think there are coaches who follow the rules but there are also coaches who don't. I also think there are several people who assume the coaches are practicing illegally when in reality the girls are putting in lots of time on there own. 

Regardless of who is or isn't practicing illegally, I 100 percent agree with pioneer42. It's up to the student to do the individual work. GBB or WBB is no longer about getting what you need pre season, in season, or post season. It's about how hard you are working on your own. When I played I would have never thought to do the things my 7th grader is doing right now. She does weight training, conditioning, agility 4 days a week at 5 am. Then practice/games 4 days a week and ball handling drills 4-5 days/week. For her, she wants it and is willing to put in the work. 

When I played I was chopping cotton at 13 years old and would go practice and play as soon as we were through. It is amazing how many athletes that are taking strength and conditioning, shooting and ball handling, hitting and pitching lessons..etc…just on and on and paying good money for it on their own. Your girl will be rewarded for her hard work on her own for sure. You get out of it what you put into it. Reason I say if your team is not doing it and putting in extra time on their own you are behind schedule, because there are players across the state that are doing it and can match you talent wise and will beat you in the fourth quarter when the money is on the line because they are mentally tougher and more prepared for adversity and the situation. More times than not state champions have a common denominator and that is they have great leaders that are gym rats working on their own. Good luck to your daughter. I hope she has a great career. I remember when mine was a 7th grader and I thank the good Lord of the blessings we have had through her playing basketball. Gibson County’s coaches does a fantastic job of using every legal time TSSAA allots them. They don’t waste 5 minutes and we are very fortunate to have them. If you are doing things you are not supposed to be doing it will come back to you as well. 

Edited by pioneer42

On 10/25/2022 at 11:42 AM, pioneer42 said:

When I played I was chopping cotton at 13 years old and would go practice and play as soon as we were through. It is amazing how many athletes that are taking strength and conditioning, shooting and ball handling, hitting and pitching lessons..etc…just on and on and paying good money for it on their own. Your girl will be rewarded for her hard work on her own for sure. You get out of it what you put into it. Reason I say if your team is not doing it and putting in extra time on their own you are behind schedule, because there are players across the state that are doing it and can match you talent wise and will beat you in the fourth quarter when the money is on the line because they are mentally tougher and more prepared for adversity and the situation. More times than not state champions have a common denominator and that is they have great leaders that are gym rats working on their own. Good luck to your daughter. I hope she has a great career. I remember when mine was a 7th grader and I thank the good Lord of the blessings we have had through her playing basketball. Gibson County’s coaches does a fantastic job of using every legal time TSSAA allots them. They don’t waste 5 minutes and we are very fortunate to have them. If you are doing things you are not supposed to be doing it will come back to you as well. 

As we talked about before some schools have extended seasons ( Summertown for example ) were players concentrate on that sport before have time to on another sport ( is winning a state championship  in that sport worth getting late start in another sport  - I think so )  is a 30 and 2 record in regular season more important than 25 and 8 if go farther in tournament- does that make sense 

4 hours ago, Jaychapman said:

As we talked about before some schools have extended seasons ( Summertown for example ) were players concentrate on that sport before have time to on another sport ( is winning a state championship  in that sport worth getting late start in another sport  - I think so )  is a 30 and 2 record in regular season more important than 25 and 8 if go farther in tournament- does that make sense 

IMO whatever sport the kid is playing they just need to give it their all and have drive and be dedicated or it won’t matter. A coach can only do so much. We are living in a society where kids are going through extra training own their own dime a lot. If your team is not doing it you are not likely to win on talent alone. 5 star players with poor work ethics is a bad domino effect. 

• 4 months later...
On 8/31/2022 at 8:31 AM, Heisenberg said:

I never said I liked it, but I understand the why behind the rule.  I bet when they made the original rule/calendar that more kids played football and basketball.  Sadly, we have fewer multi-sport athletes than we used to

Coaches and AAU are the ones to blame for that.