MEMORABLE "4 SEED 1 SEED" UPSETS IN 1A AND 2A

GeneralForrest

3 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

Are there any?

At least one. #4 Scotts Hill @ #1 (statewide) and undefeated Adamsville in '16. Not a "fluke" either...very tough region and a couple of losses put us in fourth, but we were playing well at seasons end. Beat a 2 loss and top 10 Lewis County team in week 2, then a five point loss to Waverly in the 'quarters in a (literal) hurricane that affected our passing offense more than theirs. They won't be as much the underdog at any point this year as we were in the A'ville game, but don't be surprised if Lewis Co. shocks some folks along the way...they remind me of our '16 team a lot.

Edited by tradertwo

34 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

At least one. #4 Scotts Hill @ #1 (statewide) and undefeated Adamsville in '16. Not a "fluke" either...very tough region and a couple of losses put us in fourth, but we were playing well at seasons end. Beat a 2 loss and top 10 Lewis County team in week 2, then a five point loss to Waverly in the 'quarters in a (literal) hurricane that affected our passing offense more than theirs. They won't be as much the underdog at any point this year as we were in the A'ville game, but don't be surprised if Lewis Co. shocks some folks along the way...they remind me of our '16 team a lot.

That was a huge shocker. Yeah ya had a good team that year 

#4 Coalfield over #1 Cloudland 2015

#4 Jackson Christian over #1 Waverly 2015

#4 Humboldt over #1 KIPP 2016

#4 Scotts Hill over #1 Adamsville 2016

#4 Adamsville over #1 Fairley 2017

#4 Whitwell over #1 Monterey 2019

#4 Dresden over #1 BYE 2020

#4 Adamsville over #1 BYE 2020

#4 Humboldt over #1 Memphis Middle 2021

Just a few I found on some old index cards lying around.   :-)

5 hours ago, Rocketboy21 said:

I know of a few 3 seeds upsetting 2 seeds. 3A and 4A I know for sure have had some but for 1-2 I can’t think of any. If there was any it would have to be out East teams 

I wouldn't call a 3 over a 2 an upset in most cases. It's very plausible that a region can have three of the four best teams in a section of the bracket. Clay County was a 3 seed going to Copper Basin two years ago and won 21-0 because Copper Basin was playing their backup running back and third string QB. That definitely was not an upset.

1 hour ago, Southtowner said:

#4 Coalfield over #1 Cloudland 2015

#4 Jackson Christian over #1 Waverly 2015

#4 Humboldt over #1 KIPP 2016

#4 Scotts Hill over #1 Adamsville 2016

#4 Adamsville over #1 Fairley 2017

#4 Whitwell over #1 Monterey 2019

#4 Dresden over #1 BYE 2020

#4 Adamsville over #1 BYE 2020

#4 Humboldt over #1 Memphis Middle 2021

Just a few I found on some old index cards lying around.   :-)

In 2006 4 seed Lake County defeated 1 seed and number 1 ranked Fayette Academy.

5 hours ago, Talmad2 said:

Monterey vs Whitwell. Monterey was 1 seed and undefeated and Whitwell beat them. This was about 3 years ago before Monterey got moved to 2A. I’m pretty sure to the best my knowledge.

You’re correct. I remember that. And Whitwell fired their first year coach anyway. I guess they reasoned that if he had the talent to defeat a 10-0 team, he had no excuse for going 2-8?

1 minute ago, chs1984 said:

You’re correct. I remember that. And Whitwell fired their first year coach anyway. I guess they reasoned that if he had the talent to defeat a 10-0 team, he had no excuse for going 2-8?

Monterey only had two playoff wins in program history up to that point and both of those came in 2014 when they went to the semifinals. Not to mention, they barely won their last two games that season as well. It wasn't as big of a shock to see them go down in that game given their lackluster play to end the season and lack of success and experience in the postseason.

• Thanks 1