Knox Catholic HC out

BigTime1950

4 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

it better be someone ready for a challenge in that region.  

IMO, Knoxville Catholic had best be prepared to hire Shane Mathews back and give him free rein to run the program as he sees fit or go outside the State of Tennessee to find a great high school coach.  If I am completely honest, I don't know of a current Tennessee public school coach that is prepared to run a D2AAA football program.  A perfect example is Father Ryan when they hired Bruce Lussier and now Brian Rector.  Those two men were extremely successful public-school coaches but performed horribly at the D2AAA level.  This is not going to be an inexpensive proposition as it cost money to compete with the top teams in D2AAA.  It is being reported that Lipscomb Academy spends close to 1 million per season on football.  It's not only the head coach that will demand a large salary (150K minimum) but you also have to pay 75k-90k each for the OC, DC and strength & conditioning coach.  None of this is free and you are truly playing small college football.  The Catholic schools in Tennessee appear to have suffered the most with D2 as you truly have both a recruiting and facilities war going on as I type.  IMO all of the Catholic schools in D2AAA had their head in the sand and didn't want to believe what everyone was being told when the TSSAA separated the public and private schools.  Now the Catholic schools are so far behind the top football programs in Tennessee that it's going to take not only the right person at the right time running the football programs, but it will now cost large sums of money to catchup and be able to compete for championships.  

Edited by cbg
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cbg said:

IMO, Knoxville Catholic had best be prepared to hire Shane Mathews back and give him free rein to run the program as he sees fit or go outside the State of Tennessee to find a great high school coach.  If I am completely honest, I don't know of a current Tennessee public school coach that is prepared to run a D2AAA football program.  A perfect example is Father Ryan when they hired Bruce Lussier and now Brian Rector.  Those two men were extremely successful public-school coaches but performed horribly at the D2AAA level.  This is not going to be an inexpensive proposition as it cost money to compete with the top teams in D2AAA.  It is being reported that Lipscomb Academy spends close to 1 million per season on football.  It's not only the head coach that will demand a large salary (150K minimum) but you also have to pay 75k-90k each for the OC, DC and strength & conditioning coach.  None of this is free and you are truly playing small college football.  The Catholic schools in Tennessee appear to have suffered the most with D2 as you truly have both a recruiting and facilities war going on as I type.  IMO all of the Catholic schools in D2AAA had their head in the sand and didn't want to believe what everyone was being told when the TSSAA separated the public and private schools.  Now the Catholic schools are so far behind the top football programs in Tennessee that it's going to take not only the right person at the right time running the football programs, but it will now cost large sums of money to catchup and be able to compete for championships.  

I'll go glass half full for Knox Catholic.  We (MBA) just played them 2 weeks ago and they have some pieces there, just need more of them, and more numbers overall.  They are successful in a lot of other sports--basketball and volleyball are the ones I have seen up close, maybe there are others.  Just like FRA is super closely aligned with the Titans, Catholic can/should be aligned with UT.  Maybe Huepel will send his kids there, they seem young? I know a lot of former UT coaches sent their kids there.

But you are right--at this point, you need someone who knows the ins/outs of D2-AAA in order to be successful.  Lussier and Rector are good examples of guys who clearly are good football coaches, but not successful in this league.  An Xs/Os wiz isn't going to get it done with that alone.  I wonder about Potter and McCallie....he's a good coach at McCallie, leaves for BA and doesn't meet their expectations, goes back to McCallie and builds a powerhouse.  My guess is, he came back with a blueprint and told them at McCallie--this is what BA is doing, and this is what we have to do to beat them.  McCallie signed on for what he wanted and the rest is history.

edit--on the cost side, Baylor people I know have told me their new coach is making a LOT more than $150k/year...but also, as a positive, any of these D2-AAA jobs are really attractive for a coach with young kids who can have his kids' tuition paid for

Edited by Navy21412

6 hours ago, Navy21412 said:

I'll go glass half full for Knox Catholic.  We (MBA) just played them 2 weeks ago and they have some pieces there, just need more of them, and more numbers overall.  They are successful in a lot of other sports--basketball and volleyball are the ones I have seen up close, maybe there are others.  Just like FRA is super closely aligned with the Titans, Catholic can/should be aligned with UT.  Maybe Huepel will send his kids there, they seem young? I know a lot of former UT coaches sent their kids there.

But you are right--at this point, you need someone who knows the ins/outs of D2-AAA in order to be successful.  Lussier and Rector are good examples of guys who clearly are good football coaches, but not successful in this league.  An Xs/Os wiz isn't going to get it done with that alone.  I wonder about Potter and McCallie....he's a good coach at McCallie, leaves for BA and doesn't meet their expectations, goes back to McCallie and builds a powerhouse.  My guess is, he came back with a blueprint and told them at McCallie--this is what BA is doing, and this is what we have to do to beat them.  McCallie signed on for what he wanted and the rest is history.

edit--on the cost side, Baylor people I know have told me their new coach is making a LOT more than $150k/year...but also, as a positive, any of these D2-AAA jobs are really attractive for a coach with young kids who can have his kids' tuition paid for

Getting some of the tuition paid for is a big plus. It’s nice at places like MBA who give a discount at MBA and HH and vice versa. Ensworth gives 50% off for faculty kids. Helpful in the grand scheme. 

It’s funny and sad to a degree to see these salaries thrown out for some of these schools. Looking at several of these schools, their tuition is 4 times what Catholic charges. That makes it a little easier to pay those salaries. When you’re losing the focus on education and teacher pay at the expense of paying coaches 2 or 3 times (or more) what the teachers make for teaching minimal to 0 classes, I have a problem. 

45 minutes ago, IrishBBall said:

It’s funny and sad to a degree to see these salaries thrown out for some of these schools. Looking at several of these schools, their tuition is 4 times what Catholic charges. That makes it a little easier to pay those salaries. When you’re losing the focus on education and teacher pay at the expense of paying coaches 2 or 3 times (or more) what the teachers make for teaching minimal to 0 classes, I have a problem. 

How many students does Catholic have?

On 11/11/2022 at 10:16 AM, cbg said:

things are still a lil tight from the new build.....at least in the chattanooga area

Booger just sayin  BLOG — Windsor & Willow

59 minutes ago, Booger said:

things are still a lil tight from the new build.....at least in the chattanooga area

Booger just sayin  BLOG — Windsor & Willow

If Knoxville Catholic, Chattanooga Notre Dame, Pope Prep and Father Ryan are going to participate in D2 football they are either going to continue to get their backside kicked or they are going to have to spend money and become significantly more competitive.  If they fail to spend the necessary money, they will not only lose football games by getting crushed, but they will also continue to lose the best Catholic athletes to other schools.  What many people in academics fail to not only understand but to also embrace is that like it or not athletics are the front door to the school.  The advertising that a school receives by having a football or basketball team compete for state championships every season is priceless.  When the athletic programs at private high schools are successful, the school will receive more in the way of donations, and this has been well documented.   

Edited by cbg