Classification and enrollment appeals

Indian

1 hour ago, rlh said:

Pump the brakes on the misinformation.  This year, 303 is the highest enrollment recorded for SP since the playoffs began in 1969.  In 2007, they had 223 students and beat a team in the finals that was moving up to 2A the following year.  They lost 2 title games against UC that flirts with being a large 1 and 2a every classification cycle, SP had under 250 students in both games against UC as well as the game against Wayne County and Jo Byrnes.  They lost in OT in 1986 in the Class a final to a team that moved up to AA the following year.  Furthermore, SP is in fact in a rural county.    Gordonsville has always more students including this year.

Edit:  For that matter, Sale Creek has had higner enrollments than SP since starting a football team, and Whitwell has had higher numbers for decades. 

Good research RLH. Could you find our lowest enrollment ever? I couldn’t find one year where we had 300 students until this school year and it obviously didn’t help this year on the football field.  SP had better teams throughout the years when the enrollment numbers were lower. History proves that point. Maybe with more players they aren’t getting as much 1 on 1 coaching as in the past when SP had around 30 players on the team every year. 

I agree with these guys though about the city schools. Seems to me a lot of magnet and charter type schools in Memphis these days that pull from other schools.  

Edited by Pirate2003

4 minutes ago, Pirate2003 said:

Probably need to check numbers. SP had 300 students this year. Did some digging and it took a few hours this morning. I couldn’t find any year with 340+. It’s actually the first time in over 35 years SP has had over 280 kids. Most of the past 35 years was between 220-250 kids. We have routinely been a middle of the road 1A school enrollment wise. We are a small, rural school. Just not as small as some others as we have never dipped under 200 students. 

Sorry, I misread the current numbers. My point was they still have 40-50% more than the small A schools.  If SP only had 160-180 kids in school, there chances at repeating deep rounds every year would be down. 

1 minute ago, Backyardbbq15 said:

Sorry, I misread the current numbers. My point was they still have 40-50% more than the small A schools.  If SP only had 160-180 kids in school, there chances at repeating deep rounds every year would be down. 

You are probably correct. Sometimes it’s about what teams you play in the playoffs too though.  For instance this year how good are some of the teams still playing this week?  Several aren’t very good if we’re being realistic. Think about how many really bad teams we see in the playoffs now. Back in the days of 3 classes that didn’t happen often. 

1 minute ago, Pirate2003 said:

You are probably correct. Sometimes it’s about what teams you play in the playoffs too though.  For instance this year how good are some of the teams still playing this week?  Several aren’t very good if we’re being realistic. Think about how many really bad teams we see in the playoffs now. Back in the days of 3 classes that didn’t happen often. 

That’s true.  I do like the idea that others were talking about cutting playoffs teams down, but TSSAA won’t.

5 hours ago, TSSAAfootball said:

Is that what the kids and coaches did at the charter and magnet schools? 

don't know anything about charter and Magnet schools except that they are public schools and should only be in D1. They are your problem. Yall kicked us privates out to D2. If you want them out, I guess we could start D3 or apply a multiplier to them. Don't dump them on us.

1 hour ago, TheTruthPrevails said:

Instead of fixing classifications where someone else can win a title, the money hungry tssaa should go back to 4 classes where district travel wouldn't be 70+ miles for each game.

I have been arguing this point on here for 19 years. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rlh said:

I have been arguing this point on here for 19 years. 

Would seem to be easy. This year, only Chattanooga area 1A change would be adding Polk and Tellico. 

cutoffs at roughly 450, 725, 1250 wouldn’t be unreasonable size differences. 

Edited by Indian

1 hour ago, Backyardbbq15 said:

The history you refer to still isn't accurate regarding SP.  They won it in 1969 with under 200 and was runner up to Brentwood Academy in 1974 with about that. In 2008, Lake County (261) had more students than SP (243), Cloudland 251, Jo Byrnes (315).  Gordy (334) had 90 more.   TC moved up to 2a the following year.  Even Lookout Valley had more than SP that year.  We got knocked out of the playoffs that year by a couple of points in the 3rd round by TC who had 208 more students.  TC beat Oneida in the semi's on the way to the gold ball.  Oneida moved up that year and has been in 2a ever since. 

1 hour ago, Pirate2003 said:

Good research RLH. Could you find our lowest enrollment ever? I couldn’t find one year where we had 300 students until this school year and it obviously didn’t help this year on the football field.  SP had better teams throughout the years when the enrollment numbers were lower. History proves that point. Maybe with more players they aren’t getting as much 1 on 1 coaching as in the past when SP had around 30 players on the team every year. 

I agree with these guys though about the city schools. Seems to me a lot of magnet and charter type schools in Memphis these days that pull from other schools.  

My records are stored all over the place.  I will see if I can find them.  I know there was a time when were were the 5th largest public school with a football program in the 90s.

2 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

oh now don't give me that BS. We have had this conversation before. McKenzie is an open enrollment school. You can take in kids outside your zone.  

Nice try….taken from our board policy. 

14 A student may transfer into the school system at any time during the year if his/her parent(s) or legal 15 guardian moves his/her residence into the school system.

1 hour ago, VOLnWTN said:

Nice try….taken from our board policy. 

14 A student may transfer into the school system at any time during the year if his/her parent(s) or legal 15 guardian moves his/her residence into the school system.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AKUffd7ODQOIa4A&cid=C425CC264269ABEF&id=C425CC264269ABEF!28236&parId=C425CC264269ABEF!27838&o=OneUp

Above is the direct link from your school board policy manual. This policy outlines the steps a student living outside the zone must take to be admitted. The fact that a student can live outside of the zone and attend makes McKenzie open zone like the vast majority of school systems in the state. Now the first requirement says must be approved by the DOS. He or she may tell you we don’t allow it but there is a policy on file and that make u open zone. Nothing wrong with it. Almost everyone is that way. This is the current policy as I just pulled it directly from the McKenzie website unless they don’t update their website.