Watson resigns at Gallatin

mondo44

10 hours ago, tubthumper said:

Some insider info here and quite shocking news is that Boffa was the predetermined hire before Watson resigned. He's always wanted the job and will undoubtedly do well at Gallatin since he is a top tier coach with a winning record. Has won 3 titles at 2 different schools. 

I have to ask is Boffa a cousin of Deez lol. 
In all seriousness I think Sumner County does a pretty good job at keeping most schools competitive in sports. Most schools have pretty decent support, compared to another county I know.. cough cough Montgomery County. I think it’s great Gallatin has great community and alumni support, but it’s one thing to support the team and another to complain on coacht ever time they lose and say they need a new coach if they have a down year. If Gallatin makes a decent hire they have a lot of talent coming back, so I hear. So they may have a great first year like they did with Watson. But don’t try to run the coach off if year two is a down year. Gallatin is a good school but it’s not a premier school, like it was in the 80s and 90s. I’m sure they may have 50 applicants but I don’t think most of them will have a lot of great head coaching experience. I would assume most of their more affluent alumni’s kids prob go to Beech, SC or Liberty Creek which prob hurts Gallatin a little, when it comes to fund raising. Hopefully Gallatin finds a good coach but let’s not act like Gallatin is a premier program that everyone wants the job, they are a good program as of the last 20 years. I guess we shall see what happens.

Edited by GatorBodine3

1 hour ago, GatorBodine3 said:

I have to ask is Boffa a cousin of Deez lol. 
In all seriousness I think Sumner County does a pretty good job at keeping most schools competitive in sports. Most schools have pretty decent support, compared to another county I know.. cough cough Montgomery County. I think it’s great Gallatin has great community and alumni support, but it’s one thing to support the team and another to complain on coacht ever time they lose and say they need a new coach if they have a down year. If Gallatin makes a decent hire they have a lot of talent coming back, so I hear. So they may have a great first year like they did with Watson. But don’t try to run the coach off if year two is a down year. Gallatin is a good school but it’s not a premier school, like it was in the 80s and 90s. I’m sure they may have 50 applicants but I don’t think most of them will have a lot of great head coaching experience. I would assume most of their more affluent alumni’s kids prob go to Beech, SC or Liberty Creek which prob hurts Gallatin a little, when it comes to fund raising. Hopefully Gallatin finds a good coach but let’s not act like Gallatin is a premier program that everyone wants the job, they are a good program as of the last 20 years. I guess we shall see what happens.

The biggest selling point to a coach is obviously the talent pool. To find a guy that can reach out to kids and develop a culture they all want to be apart of…. Amidst one of the worst rebuilding states this program has seen in sometime… will be the difficult part. The situation Watson left behind, it can’t possibly get any worse. Any half way appealing option should do the trick.

Edited by MJGOLDENBEARS

13 hours ago, eers said:

My point being we can all spin the story however we want to fit our narrative.

I have always respected you, but one of the problems I see in Gallatin right now is exactly what you just said, nobody’s gonna go beg him to go to Gallatin. Gallatin (administration, AD, booster club, fans, et al) needs to understand the pride and egos need to go and realize right now it’s not a “privilege” to coach there. They’re not doing anyone a favor by allowing them to and if you are, it’s not the right guy. Gallatin needs to find their guy and ask what it’s going to take to get them. Beg. Grovel if you have to. Recognize that you’re not a premier program. Can it be? Perhaps, but you have to sell that story (while begging and pleading). Don’t wait around for the right guy to come to Gallatin. Find the guy and throw everything at him. Find a coach that the privilege is Gallatin’s to have them and quit pretending Gallatin is something it’s not. It’s rich in history, but it’s not recent history. Find someone that can get it back to that and yes… Beg them if you have to. 

Exactly... Finally someone with some sense. There's an awful lot of dust collected on them old trophies in the case. And that paint on the side of the stadium that says "State Champions" is faded badly. The Wave is just another mid tier program now. 

MOJO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CommandoBlood100 said:

I would think this is a time sensitive hire. Other schools are going to start trying cherry pick players with a hire in question.

Disagree.  Take the time to get it right.  Got to have an opening in the building to get them on the actual campus.  I think the players will make an evaluation after the announcement not before.  Then they still have to move in another schools zone.  Not really worried about that at this point.  

On 11/30/2022 at 12:57 PM, middletn said:

Joslin, Lassiter, Brent Alexander, Dewayne Alexander, heck even Dewayne's son ran to coach at Beech a few years ago and left Gallatin. Pissed off Lassiter when his pick was Brent and he was never offered the job

Other than Joslin this entire post is bogus.  Lassiter retired after 14 years at Gallatin, how is that running him off?  Brent Alexander was offered a position during Lassiter's tenure and declined it.  Dewayne Alexander is a Hendersonville graduate.  Dewayne's son's father-in-law is an assistant at Beech, so that would explain his move there.  Lassiter's pick to succeed him was not Brent, his recommendation was actually who got the job.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, GREENWAVE84EG said:

Other than Joslin this entire post is bogus.  Lassiter retired after 14 years at Gallatin, how is that running him off?  Brent Alexander was offered a position during Lassiter's tenure and declined it.  Dewayne Alexander is a Hendersonville graduate.  Dewayne's son's father-in-law is an assistant at Beech, so that would explain his move there.  Lassiter's pick to succeed him was not Brent, his recommendation was actually who got the job.

Facts. 

• Like 1

As a former player from back in the "Hayday Era" in Gallatin, I personally just hope we hire a guy that can get a group of guys to play hard, play together and play to win together.  There is enough talent walking the halls of that school, that with the right coach and culture, it wouldn't take long to rebuild.   As far as the dust on the trophies, most of them are no longer in the school.  In my opinion, one of the biggest mistakes they ever did.  I spent countless hours looking at all the ones won before us and it was very motivating to add our own.  Say what you will about our program and most I probably agree with, but with the right guy it won't take long.  Just my 2 cents on the subject

• Upvote 1