What will Lipscomb do?

smoke14

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

People don't see the bigger picture...no way that one guy (Lowery) made the "decision" to go all in and change the culture by throwing cash around and hiring Dilfer on his own, and no way that McQueen stands in the way of continuing what has already been proven to work, unless the brain trust allows it. It's pretty evident what the target was when things were set in motion, and they 100% achieved it... now the only question is if they just wanted to see the view from the top, or if they want to stay there.

Agree 100%.....and I'll add this.  Lowery and the university did not throw money at the academy football program.  That money was donated to the university and "earmarked" to academy football.  To my knowledge, everything funded including staff salaries, the turf field, the fieldhouse, and the new scoreboard were funded through donations to the university and directed to academy football.  Trent did not have his own fund outside of university oversight.

On 12/31/2022 at 9:12 AM, gcapride said:

And will get smacked around for the next 2 years. Dilfer did all of this to that school. From the way he acted, the way he treated other TN HS programs, his absurd ego and now moving them up to DII-AAA and heading out the door leaving them high and dry. The ones that will be hurt the most by all of this will be the LA lifers that will stay and play. All those 3 and 4 stars flying out the back door will suffer none of the consequences that are coming the next 2 years. 

Them kids ain’t left yet…Idk about smacked around

Edited by FBfan26

11 hours ago, TTate said:

Candice may change some things but this I know to be true.....there is more money and excitement flowing into the academy football program than at the entire university, and it's not from the Lipscomb lifers. 

The folks on Hillsboro Road are in charge and running the show.  Yes, they will accept a check from most anywhere but never forget that Mrs. McQueen also attends church on Hillsboro Road and those folks are now back in control of the checkbook.

1 hour ago, cbg said:

The folks on Hillsboro Road are in charge and running the show.  Yes, they will accept a check from most anywhere but never forget that Mrs. McQueen also attends church on Hillsboro Road and those folks are now back in control of the checkbook.

LOL…you’re talking about Hillsboro Church of Christ?   Yeah, Candace and Hutch go there and who else?  Maybe a total of 5 kids at the academy.  You’re giving your opinion and that’s fine, but it’s very uninformed.

On 1/3/2023 at 3:51 PM, cbg said:

I have always said that if Baylor and McCallie want to get serious about athletics, all of the other teams in Tennessee are in big trouble.  With that being said it is my understanding that the TSSAA member schools voted unanimously for the following:

1.  Any transfer to a boarding school after an athletic record has been established would require the athlete to sit out one full season.

2.  A boarding school may not have more that one player on the team at a time that was required to sit out one full season.

It’s my understanding that the Board of Control voted these proposals down even after the member schools approved them by over 80%.  My question is if it’s time for the other D2 schools to flex their muscle and either leave the TSSAA or demand total control over the D2 schools without going to the Board of Control for approval?

I followed this a bit while it was happening, and can't understand why it wasn't adopted.  It sounded like some smaller boarding schools (of which there are more in TN than I realized) pleaded that such a move would kill their athletics programs.  If you look across multiple sports in D2-AA/AAA (football) Baylor and McCallie are now winning just about everything.  The rest of us are at a real disadvantage when they can load up on immediately eligible sophomores and juniors, who are there specifically for the athletics. 

On 1/4/2023 at 10:43 PM, Flea21 said:

LOL…you’re talking about Hillsboro Church of Christ?   Yeah, Candace and Hutch go there and who else?  Maybe a total of 5 kids at the academy.  You’re giving your opinion and that’s fine, but it’s very uninformed.

A HUGE majority of the kids in the youth group and kids ministry at Hillsboro are also students at Lipsomb. A lot of members are alumni and/or send their kids to Lipsomb. Maybe a total of 5 kids aren’t currently at the academy.  You’re giving your opinion and that’s fine, but it’s very uninformed.

9 hours ago, Smokey2Go said:

A HUGE majority of the kids in the youth group and kids ministry at Hillsboro are also students at Lipsomb. A lot of members are alumni and/or send their kids to Lipsomb. Maybe a total of 5 kids aren’t currently at the academy.  You’re giving your opinion and that’s fine, but it’s very uninformed.

a huge majority of a tiny youth group that had about 5 people in the senior class?  Got it.  I'm sure Flea was talking in hyperbole when saying 5 kids go to the academy.....but its not a big number.   

So I guess you agree that the folks at Hillsboro are running the academy coaching search and that there will be a seismic shift in the investment and importance of the program moving forward and that the coaching hire will be underwhelming and many kids will leave the program and LA will revert back to the Tilman days?  We'll see.

9 hours ago, Smokey2Go said:

Sorrry about that….Didn’t mean to disparage Hillsboro…many fine folks there.  However, there are not many that have influence on athletics at the academy other than Candice.  My point was that to suggest LA football will go backwards because Hillsboro CC is now running the show was a dumb comment.  But it will play itself out and if I’m wrong I’ll come back and take my beatings (but I’m not :))

3 hours ago, TTate said:

a huge majority of a tiny youth group that had about 5 people in the senior class?  Got it.  I'm sure Flea was talking in hyperbole when saying 5 kids go to the academy.....but its not a big number.   

So I guess you agree that the folks at Hillsboro are running the academy coaching search and that there will be a seismic shift in the investment and importance of the program moving forward and that the coaching hire will be underwhelming and many kids will leave the program and LA will revert back to the Tilman days?  We'll see.

My only point is the facts of the HCC CM/YG is predominantly LA students, especially the 2025 class and younger.  Yes, they’re small groups (by other COC standards) but it does have a high percentage of former/current LA students.  That’s all I said.

No - I don’t know who is involved in hiring or their commitment to LA football.  It would definitely be Dr McQueen and the LU board but other than that, I just don’t know.  I’ve heard the plan is to continue and “go to greater heights” with the football program.  I sure hope so since so much has been poured into this program.