NIL

mondo44

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

After reading that article if colleges like UT want their recruits to move closer to the Knoxville area it appears to me some of the high profile schools in the area may get on a high priority list and you know they'll be wanting them to be playing against the highest competition possible (6A) or Private if that plays out like it mentioned.

Yes.  

Like I said, somebody who would know told me that a 5 star QB, who signed his National Letter of Intent this weekend by the wway, was going to come and play at a high school in the Western part of Knoxville had NIL been legal in Tennesse this fall.  

If the top players that are being recruited by the University of Tennessee decide to make the move to Knoxville it will be interesting to see what school they attend.  Back in the 70’s and 80’s many of the coaches kids went to Webb and later the coaches sons attended Knoxville Catholic.  Webb’s academics may be much to rigorous unless todays players have a really strong background.  

If UT pushed only one school they basically would create an Oakland type team restocking it every year with a bunch of new players who ever that lucky school would be. Right there is where this NIL will destroy high school football. If UT sent Maryville ten 4 and 5 star players every year I wouldn't want to win that way at all but my guess is some Knoxville school with the best pull will take that to the bank.

22 hours ago, cbg said:

Yesterday all of the state semi-finals were televised.  I watched (National Rankings) #9 Houston North Shore beat #8 Austin Westlake 49-34 and the game was not that close.  The announcer was talking about how the Westlake QB was injured and not playing but I am still not convinced he could have lead them to a victory.  North Shore which is around the shipping channel outside of Houston is really big and extremely fast.  I feel confident that no team in Tennessee has enough athletes to play with North Shore.  Westlake reminded me of a Maryville team but with much more size and speed and very similar to Southlake Carroll in the Dallas area.   Let’s be honest and say that the top public high school football coaches in Texas have a salary of around $150K and they are not required to teach.  The OC and DC may only teach a couple of classes each day and then they work on football.  In Texas they have 11 divisions for 30 million people and in Tennessee you have 9 divisions for 7 million people so you do the math.  The competition to win a state championship in football in the State of Texas is fierce and Tennessee is not close in that regard.  

Tennessee public schools are light years behind in not only athletics but also in academics.  

They may be ahead in athletics, I don't doubt that.   You said, "Also in academics"  That is simply not true.  We're bad.  And theyre pretty much just as bad.  However, we acknowledge the existence of dinosaurs, so we're way ahead really.

14 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

If UT pushed only one school they basically would create an Oakland type team restocking it every year with a bunch of new players who ever that lucky school would be. Right there is where this NIL will destroy high school football. If UT sent Maryville ten 4 and 5 star players every year I wouldn't want to win that way at all but my guess is some Knoxville school with the best pull will take that to the bank.

most UT affiliated kids have gone to Catholic for quite a while now, but since they're not winning, maybe that changes.

On 12/11/2022 at 8:30 AM, cbg said:

Yesterday all of the state semi-finals were televised.  I watched (National Rankings) #9 Houston North Shore beat #8 Austin Westlake 49-34 and the game was not that close.  The announcer was talking about how the Westlake QB was injured and not playing but I am still not convinced he could have lead them to a victory.  North Shore which is around the shipping channel outside of Houston is really big and extremely fast.  I feel confident that no team in Tennessee has enough athletes to play with North Shore.  Westlake reminded me of a Maryville team but with much more size and speed and very similar to Southlake Carroll in the Dallas area.   Let’s be honest and say that the top public high school football coaches in Texas have a salary of around $150K and they are not required to teach.  The OC and DC may only teach a couple of classes each day and then they work on football.  In Texas they have 11 divisions for 30 million people and in Tennessee you have 9 divisions for 7 million people so you do the math.  The competition to win a state championship in football in the State of Texas is fierce and Tennessee is not close in that regard.  

Good lord!

21 hours ago, 1OldPatriot said:

Tennessee High School football, for the most part, is light years behind GA, TX, FL and CA. Limpscomb, Baylor, and maybe Oakland could compete with the upper echelon in these states. That is about it. Money, facilities, and demographics all favor these states

I was told Oakland would get creamed in Texas. Also nobody would want to play them because of the Peewee league/cheap shot offense they run because they would be playing with house money when it comes to knees etc. Also was told when TN start making Real QBs the state will be taking serious in Football. This is from a few people I know and work with from the outta Houston area.

24 minutes ago, FBfan26 said:

Good lord!

I was told Oakland would get creamed in Texas. Also nobody would want to play them because of the Peewee league/cheap shot offense they run because they would be playing with house money when it comes to knees etc. Also was told when TN start making Real QBs the state will be taking serious in Football. This is from a few people I know and work with from the outta Houston area.

High school football in Texas is a completely different game than is played in Tennessee right down to how they use college rules and not the high school rules from the national federation.  You are correct in that Texas has a way of developing good QB’s but understand that while they get excellent coaching it’s also a numbers game.  The State of Tennessee has 7 million people and plays high school football in 9 divisions which calculates to 777,777 people per division.  Texas with a population of 30 million people plays high school football in 11 divisions and that calculates to 2,727,272 people per division.  As you can see by the numbers the competition in Texas to win a state championship in football is fierce.  If Tennessee wanted to create the excitement and competition much like Texas, then Tennessee should not have more than 3 divisions and that is if the public & private split is eliminated.  The mind set amongst people in Texas is completely different when it comes to high school athletics.  They not only want to win state titles but they want to do it in the highest division possible.  This is why communities such as Lake Travis and Allen have high schools with 4000 students and they refuse to split them into two separate schools.  They simply want to win championships at the highest level possible.  I don’t ever see the people in Tennessee adopting a philosophy similar to Texas.  In Tennessee it’s alway been to legislate your completion to another division and make things as easy as possible for the school that you represent.  While I have spoken poorly about the TSSAA and it’s staff on multiple occasion I must apologize to those people.  It’s not their fault that they are not visionaries and merely react to situation instead of being proactive.  It’s really the fault of the TSSAA Board of Control and it’s politician's along with the member schools for allowing this silliness to continue.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cbg said:

High school football in Texas is a completely different game than is played in Tennessee right down to how they use college rules and not the high school rules from the national federation.  You are correct in that Texas has a way of developing good QB’s but understand that while they get excellent coaching it’s also a numbers game.  The State of Tennessee has 7 million people and plays high school football in 9 divisions which calculates to 777,777 people per division.  Texas with a population of 30 million people plays high school football in 11 divisions and that calculates to 2,727,272 people per division.  As you can see by the numbers the competition in Texas to win a state championship in football is fierce.  If Tennessee wanted to create the excitement and competition much like Texas, then Tennessee should not have more than 3 divisions and that is if the public & private split is eliminated.  The mind set amongst people in Texas is completely different when it comes to high school athletics.  They not only want to win state titles but they want to do it in the highest division possible.  This is why communities such as Lake Travis and Allen have high schools with 4000 students and they refuse to split them into two separate schools.  They simply want to win championships at the highest level possible.  I don’t ever see the people in Tennessee adopting a philosophy similar to Texas.  In Tennessee it’s alway been to legislate your completion to another division and make things as easy as possible for the school that you represent.  While I have spoken poorly about the TSSAA and it’s staff on multiple occasion I must apologize to those people.  It’s not their fault that they are not visionaries and merely react to situation instead of being proactive.  It’s really the fault of the TSSAA Board of Control and it’s politician's along with the member schools for allowing this silliness to continue.  

Seriously, No disrespect intended,  but who cares how they do it in Texas? none of us live in Texas, I don't get it.  T$$AA isn't going to change a thing. based on Texas, Florida, Cali. or anywhere else.    

• Like 2