NIL

mondo44

On 12/8/2022 at 2:49 PM, oridgecat said:

Unfortunately the way I see NIL in high school working is like this:  If you start ninth grade at our high school, I will "sponsor" you for $X per month as long as you are contributing to the team and in good academic standing.  In other words, it's simply going to turn into pay per play and be ungovernable.  In my opinion, this is a sad day for what I consider the last (semi) "pure" sport.   

I still want to know how this decision coexists with TN Code 49-2-604 because any financing of an athlete that participates in any school athletic endeavor would fall under this law. 

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

Seriously, No disrespect intended,  but who cares how they do it in Texas? none of us live in Texas, I don't get it.  T$$AA isn't going to change a thing. based on Texas, Florida, Cali. or anywhere else.    

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

Seriously, No disrespect intended,  but who cares how they do it in Texas? none of us live in Texas, I don't get it.  T$$AA isn't going to change a thing. based on Texas, Florida, Cali. or anywhere else.    

No disrespect taken but I have always found that if you want to be considered one of the best you have to do things very similar to the best.  In not only Texas but also in California, Georgia and Florida everyone wants to be viewed as the best high school football state in the country.  In Tennessee people just want to legislate a state championship for the particular school that they are associated with at the present time.  It’s past time to embrace competition outside the confines of our communities.  I have always said that our children must compete with those young adults from all over the world for jobs and admission to the very best colleges so now is the time to begin the competition for education and athletics.  Let’s try to be the best in the WORLD.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, cbg said:

No disrespect taken but I have always found that if you want to be considered one of the best you have to do things very similar to the best.  In not only Texas but also in California, Georgia and Florida everyone wants to be viewed as the best high school football state in the country.  In Tennessee people just want to legislate a state championship for the particular school that they are associated with at the present time.  It’s past time to embrace competition outside the confines of our communities.  I have always said that our children must compete with those young adults from all over the world for jobs and admission to the very best colleges so now is the time to begin the competition for education and athletics.  Let’s try to be the best in the WORLD.  

You're right, the number one top priority in TN is NOT being" viewed as the best in football", thank goodness.  We have way more important issues to solve before being "viewed as the best in football:  That is way down the priority list for most Tennesseans. Might I ask, what exactly do you want done?  Most importantly, where would the money come from?  What role are you going to play? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boyfromsi said:

I still want to know how this decision coexists with TN Code 49-2-604 because any financing of an athlete that participates in any school athletic endeavor would fall under this law. 

TSSAA doesn't allow NIL to be associated with the school. likeness or image or the TSSAA. As long as you aren't using the schools name and are operating outside of the school it doesn't go again the TN Code 49-2-604

• Like 3

2 hours ago, haweanbula said:

TSSAA doesn't allow NIL to be associated with the school. likeness or image or the TSSAA. As long as you aren't using the schools name and are operating outside of the school it doesn't go again the TN Code 49-2-604

So does this mean if the student takes an NIL deal then they cannot wear their school gear out since it has the schools name on it but have an NIL deal?

5 minutes ago, Swipes said:

So does this mean if the student takes an NIL deal then they cannot wear their school gear out since it has the schools name on it but have an NIL deal?

They can't wear school associated gear in any promotional appearance or advertising spot. 

20 hours ago, boyfromsi said:

A student with an NIL deal is not the same as a school Support Organization.  If you read the definitions in that Law, (I just did) students aren't covered anywhere in it.  That's why the NIL deal can't be tied to school logos etc.

Now athletes can profit from hosting their own camps or training sessions, without wearing a school uniform or clothing with a school logo. Now the question that's unclear: are they able to use school facilities to make this happen? If you have a 5 star kid wanting to host a elementary aged football camp can they do so at their school's field?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, sumcofootball said:

Now athletes can profit from hosting their own camps or training sessions, without wearing a school uniform or clothing with a school logo. Now the question that's unclear: are they able to use school facilities to make this happen? If you have a 5 star kid wanting to host a elementary aged football camp can they do so at their school's field?

only way they could, is to pay the normal usage fees etc like any member of the public would have to do.