State Dual predictions (not about Cole Dyer)

Mitch24

24 minutes ago, cowcatcher said:

I have given this a lot of thought and still could be completely off. I would group the 8 teams into three groups…

Contenders: Signal, Soddy, Halls

Potential Spoilers: Page, Fairview, Gibbs, Tullahoma

Happy to be here: Sycamore

Quarters

Signal over Gibbs … this one could be closer than most think. This Gibbs group came close to upsetting powerhouse Pigeon Forge in this same round last year

Tullahoma over Sycamore … Tullahoma by 18-23 points

Halls over Page … Page almost spoiled Signal’s run to the title last year in this same round, but when Halls is healthy I just don’t see how they can match up in this one. Give me Halls by 16-19 points

Soddy over Fairview … I see Soddy being the favorite in 8 of the 14 matches here. Not impossible for Fairview to pull an upset, but give me the Trojans by 12-15 points.

Semis

Signal over Tullahoma … I don’t think Signal matches up great with Gibbs or Tullahoma in the upper weights, so expect both of these matches to be fairly close. I do think Gibbs is more of a threat to Signal than Tullahoma. I’ll take Signal by 8-10 points.

Soddy over Halls ... Halls will need an upset or two to pull this one off. Keep an eye on Lewis v. Sexton at 126. I'll take the Trojans by 1-3 points.

Finals

Signal over Soddy in the match of the year. Both teams have new additions to their lineups with Dyer and Elliott. I am interested to see if we get any different matchups in the rematch. I hope we get to this point, I am dying to see this one this time!

How I see the three biggest matches shaping out…

Halls v. Page

106 – Kitts (Halls) dec. Herman (Page)    3-0 Halls

113 – May (Halls) maj. O’Neal (Page)       7-0 Halls

120 – Simpson (Page) dec. Cook (Halls)   7-3 Halls  [Cook won previous meeting 10-7]

126 – Sexton (Halls) dec. Brown (Page)   10-3 Halls [toss up match]

132 – Hawkinson (Page) dec. Hutchisen (Halls)    10-6 Halls

138 – Hunley (Halls) pins Drake (Page)    16-6 Halls

145 – Sexton (Halls) dec. Elder (Page)     19-6 Halls

152 – Whaley (Halls) pins Garner (Page) 25-6 Halls

160 – Whaley (Halls) pins Williamson (Page)      31-6 Halls

170 – J. Ward (Page) pins Freeman/Forton (Halls)     31-12 Halls  [I would bump Ward away from Whaley if I am Page]

182 – West/Olsen (Page) maj. dec.  Stowell (Halls)     31-16 Halls

195 – Cook (Halls) pins E. Ward (Page)    37-16 Halls

220 – Meeks (Page) pins Shubert (Halls)     37-21 Halls

285 – Turner (Halls) dec. O’Connell (Page)     40-21 Halls

I do not feel like Halls is 19 points better than Page, so maybe they make some adjustments and/or pull an upset or two to make it closer but when Halls has everyone in the lineup, I don’t see them losing to Page.

Soddy v. Halls

106 – Dyer (Soddy) pins Kitts (Halls)         6-0 SD

113 – Flavin (Soddy) maj. dec. May (Halls)     10-0 SD

120 – Duncan (Soddy) dec. Cook (Halls)     13-0 SD

126 – Lewis (Soddy) dec. Sexton (Halls)     16-0 SD [expect this to be a close match]

132 – Hutchisen pins Whalen (Soddy)     16-6 SD

138 – Hunley (Halls) pins Hatcher or Bull (Soddy)     16-12 SD

145 – Cosper (SD) pins Sexton (Halls)     22-12 SD

152 – Whaley (Halls) dec. Rawlinson (Soddy)     22-15 SD

160 – Whaley (Halls) pins Bates (Soddy)     22-21 SD

170 – Turner (Soddy) pins Forton (Halls)     28-21 SD

182 – Stowell (Halls) dec. Wade (Soddy)     28-24 SD

195 – Cook (Halls) dec. Laxton (Soddy)     28-27 SD

220 – Montgomery (Soddy) pins Glenn (Halls)     34-27 SD

285 – Turner (Halls) pins Davis (Soddy)     34-33 SD

Soddy v. Signal

106 – Dyer (Soddy) pins Higdon (SM)     6-0 SD

113 – JoJo Uhorchuk (SM) pins Flavin (Soddy)     6-6 tied

120 – Duncan (Soddy) pins Lynch (SM)     12-6 SD

126 – Ethan Uhorchuk (SM) maj. dec. Lewis (Soddy)     12-10 SD

132 – Owens (SM) dec. Whalen (Soddy)     13-12 Signal

138 – Caleb Uhorchuk (SM) pins whoever Soddy throws here or gets a forfeit     19-12 Signal

145 – Cosper (Soddy) dec. Elliott (SM)      19-15 Signal

152 – Davis (SM) pins Welch (Soddy)      25-15 Signal

160 – Rawlinson pins Shriner (SM)      25-21 Signal

170 – Turner (Soddy) pins whoever Signal throws here or gets a forfeit      27-25 SD

182 – Quails (SM) dec. Ross (Soddy)     28-27 Signal

195 – Laxton (Soddy) pins Gardner (SM)     33-28 SD

220 – Winchester (SM) dec. Montgomery (Soddy)     33-31 SD

285 – Odom (SM) dec. Davis (Soddy)     34-33 SM

I think someone said it earlier, but I feel like Soddy matches up better with Halls than they do Signal, and Halls matches up better with Signal than they do Soddy.

I could go either way with this one, but I am going to go with Signal to repeat. I wouldn’t even be entirely shocked if Gibbs and Halls wrestled in the finals so you can call me an idiot on Sunday when that happens LOL!

I think this might be the most parity i have seen in A since the split, I do think Signal, Halls, Soddy, Gibbs can win it all and Page right there also. If there is a rematch in the finals with Soddy vs Signal I might take my boys this time around, because with Dyer there they have a chance of winning 106 which they lost before and moving Micah up to 113 to get pinned by Jojo and bumping everyone up a match and giving them a better shot. I guess it depends on who has to send who out first when it comes to 113. I just dont think it gets to that point and Halls wins in semis and Halls beats Signal in the finals. I havent gotten to see Halls, but I have heard they are very solid from top to bottom with no easy outs.  I wished this week would hurry up LOL

Cleveland vs. Summit will be a battle but assuming the matchup is the same (or similar) as at the Cleveland Duals it will be tough for Summit to squeeze out enough extra points.  Realistically, I could see Summit flipping 120 and 285 (because anything can happen at HWT).  I could also see Summit getting bonus at 145 (8-1 last time). Not sure they can get more points elsewhere (unless a few guys just avoid getting pinned). If all that happens and everything else remains the same Summit wins.  However, I could also see Cleveland flipping 126 and 160 as well as not getting pinned at 132 resulting in a 20+ point win. This is all based on the same or similar lineup. It should be a good one.  I haven’t seen WC this year so don’t know if they can matchup with Bradley. 

38 minutes ago, PackMentality said:

Cleveland vs. Summit will be a battle but assuming the matchup is the same (or similar) as at the Cleveland Duals it will be tough for Summit to squeeze out enough extra points.  Realistically, I could see Summit flipping 120 and 285 (because anything can happen at HWT).  I could also see Summit getting bonus at 145 (8-1 last time). Not sure they can get more points elsewhere (unless a few guys just avoid getting pinned). If all that happens and everything else remains the same Summit wins.  However, I could also see Cleveland flipping 126 and 160 as well as not getting pinned at 132 resulting in a 20+ point win. This is all based on the same or similar lineup. It should be a good one.  I haven’t seen WC this year so don’t know if they can matchup with Bradley. 

WC is far from a foregone conclusion over DB.  120, 138, 145, 170, and 220 are matches that DB can win. I simply gave WC a decision. WC had better come prepared.  Every kid at those weight classes I just listed is talented. These aren't scrubs.

27 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

I favor WC and all the pressure is on them since they are definitive favorites.   Otherwise they choked.

How does WC matchup with Bradley?  I know WC is strong from 152 down and at 220 but don’t know much about the rest of the upper weights.  The issue for WC is that Bradley is also strong in the lower weights.

8 minutes ago, lumberjackmak said:

Have you seen the 38 wrestle? He is very talented. His only real loss last year was Hunter Sturgill. He would have placed high in single A last year if it wasn't for a family emergency keeping him out of regionals.  

I like Tucker and I've seen him wrestle a bunch but Warnock is definitely the favorite.   Tucker is the underdog and will have to bring his very best.

1 hour ago, lumberjackmak said:

Have you seen the 38 wrestle? He is very talented. His only real loss last year was Hunter Sturgill. He would have placed high in single A last year if it wasn't for a family emergency keeping him out of regionals.  

Connor Warnock will pin Ben Tucker.