TSSAA how blind is your blind draw lol. I seen a very potential championship games in the 1st round. What are y’all’s thoughts?

HawkGuy06

Once I realized that four of the eight regions were represented in this draw I knew it had potential to be a mess.

To me, I think it may be time to have a conversation about the region rule. Especially in cases like this when the bracket is decided on four pulls.

I’m catching up in this discussion and just going to throw out a few things:

1) I do not like the idea of basing seeding on win/loss records. The goal is to prepare your team to be their absolute best. If seeding gets based on winning percentages we will only see more lopsided non-region games.

2) AP poll is a terrible indicator of seeding. This year’s state rankings had the lowest voter participation I have ever seen.

3 hours ago, Khall555 said:

Seed by region in advance (note a regional winner is upset in a substate game then the road team assumes that position)

Game 1

1 vs 5

Game 2

4 vs 8

Game 3

6 vs 2

Game 4

7 vs 3

That still prevents any District/regional teams from meeting until the championship game plus players/coaches/fans ect know when, who and where all the games will be in advance

using my format

it would be

Elizabethton vs South Gibson

Upperman vs Dyer Co

Livingston vs Dyersburg

Greeneville vs Jackson SS

I actually like that format 

• Like 1

I get it and it’s obvious the lower bracket in 4A has a tougher draw but it’s not like there is a bunch of ducks in this tourney.    There was likely going to be at least one of these matchups anyway.  And if you switched Bartlett with either of the lower bracket teams,  you have the exact same thing.  The behind the curtains shady feel only makes the draw look bad.   After Wednesday it will look a lot better.  Just a couple really good teams going home maybe one game too early.   I just hope whoever makes it out of the bottom bracket wins it all.  It would suck to go through that path and come up short in the final.  But that is VERY possible!  

On 3/5/2023 at 1:26 PM, ReitzFan said:

Absolutely disagree.  First off, you have less than 20 AP voters state wide. They might do a good job ranking teams in their area but there is no way they have a good handle state wide. Secondly, several voters work for Gannett owned papers. That organization is hanging on by a thread. Thirdly, many times I have seen AP voters  do the homer thing and rank the team(s) they cover higher even if they don't deserve it. On a national level, AP is still viable for ranking at the college level. Not so much at the state level. TSSAA needs to establish a power ranking system with clear guidelines and seed the state tournament.  They should do this or have a blind draw that is broadcast state wide like many states do. 

Best way Reitz (IMO) is the blind draw as they have it, with the stipulation that region opponents be split. Any other way opens the door for corruption, and we all know that if the door is left ajar someone will find a way to slip in it. As I understand it, the draw is now preemptive, thus the need for secrecy to keep someone from "manipulating" game results...what they should do (again, IMO) is wait until the field is set and broadcast the draw. My only problem with TSSAA is that the solution is so simple, yet not used. Rankings would be best IF, and only IF the rankings were correct, and I promise that the grumbling on here every spring about the validity of the draw wouldn't be a drop in the bucket when fans felt "stiffed" by their ranking and were matched against a tougher team than they felt that they deserved. Bottom line is that it's three games to get the gold ball...win and everything else falls into place.

• Like 3

All of that makes perfect sense. IMO there’s only one team in AAA that can beat Upperman and only one team that can beat SS. Unfortunately they play each other in round one. Oh well too late now let’s get it on and let the best team win. One last request… please please lets not have the refereeing decide this game. I’m hoping they allow the players and coaches to settle it on the floor. 

3 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Best way Reitz (IMO) is the blind draw as they have it, with the stipulation that region opponents be split. Any other way opens the door for corruption, and we all know that if the door is left ajar someone will find a way to slip in it. As I understand it, the draw is now preemptive, thus the need for secrecy to keep someone from "manipulating" game results...what they should do (again, IMO) is wait until the field is set and broadcast the draw. My only problem with TSSAA is that the solution is so simple, yet not used. Rankings would be best IF, and only IF the rankings were correct, and I promise that the grumbling on here every spring about the validity of the draw wouldn't be a drop in the bucket when fans felt "stiffed" by their ranking and were matched against a tougher team than they felt that they deserved. Bottom line is that it's three games to get the gold ball...win and everything else falls into place.

I agree with a refinement, automatically put 2 from same region in opposite sides. the remainder are drawn to either top or bottom of bracket, then take the 4 teams on each side and redraw each side of bracket. That would give you a double random draw

34 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

All of that makes perfect sense. IMO there’s only one team in AAA that can beat Upperman and only one team that can beat SS. Unfortunately they play each other in round one. Oh well too late now let’s get it on and let the best team win. One last request… please please lets not have the refereeing decide this game. I’m hoping they allow the players and coaches to settle it on the floor. 

That’s my only fear! Let the kids decide who wins the game! 

3 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Refs call for whose got  momentum at the Glass House and always have. We have had a few bad officials but West Tennessee has some good one’s but they won’t be there and it is a shame they won’t. I don’t know where they get these guys up there. 

Edited by pioneer42

25 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Refs call for whose got  momentum at the Glass House and always have. We have had a few bad officials but West Tennessee has some good one’s but they won’t be there and it is a shame they won’t. I don’t know where they get these guys up there. 

Why no West Tennessee refs?

21 minutes ago, Greenecounty said:

Why no West Tennessee refs?

There may be a few but there are some good refs that won’t be there. Refs have been bad up there a bunch. Reason anybody can beat anybody. Hope they call it fair this year and not try to ride the momentum of a team.