All State

fooseball95

first, let me be clear, this isn’t aimed at you, but the list in general. i don’t understand how you can have an “all state” in every class. it’s basically just listing the top 4 from state. 12 kids PER weight class don’t need to be all state. we don’t need 168 kids being named “all state”. it severely waters it down, especially when it’s just a copy and paste of state results. if we’re gonna do all state, then it needs to be just that.. “ALL State”. as in one group of all classes combined. Have a first-third team like college and pros do. 3 guys/girls from each weight across the state. just my 2 cents 

Edited by Bump11
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bump11 said:

first, let me be clear, this isn’t aimed at you, but the list in general. i don’t understand how you can have an “all state” in every class. it’s basically just listing the top 4 from state. 12 kids PER weight class don’t need to be all state. we don’t need 168 kids being named “all state”. it severely waters it down, especially when it’s just a copy and paste of state results. if we’re gonna do all state, then it needs to be just that.. “ALL State”. as in one group of all classes combined. Have a first-third team like college and pros do. 3 guys/girls from each weight across the state. just my 2 cents 

I agree and thought the same when I first saw this. I didn’t think there was a such thing as an all state team lol

These things don't matter and it doesn't water anything down.  It's just showing the general public who placed top four.  What does "all state" mean, what does it get you?  At least it has objective criteria.  There was an article that just came out in the tennessean where we have all mid-state and it's not accurate bc the guy who wrote it doesn't appear to follow wrestling, didn't appear to invest much time researching, and seemed to pander to his largest readership.  At the end of the day, what does it even matter?  Again, is this so when a 70 year old man and a 50 year old man sitting around the fire can say, I was "all-state" back in 2023?  Who the heck cares?  No one is getting to the next level with an "All State" on their resume.  

• Upvote 1

On 4/20/2023 at 7:51 PM, Bump11 said:

There are approximately 200 wrestling teams in the state of tn so your chance af being on this list is roughly 1 in 18 ithere are 78 d1 wrestling teams and the top 8 make all american so your odds of making all american in d1 is roughly 1 in 10 so respectively its harder for the everyday kid to make all state than it is for a d1 wrestler to make all american

Every sport does this.  Football has has an "All - State " team for each of its divisions, usually with 4 to 6 guys listed per position.   It's a note-worthy award that's been watered down over the years- nothing new to just wrestling.

If you want a laugh- check out the "All-Region" teams in Football.  In Tennessee, each coach gets to pick their own players that are deemed "all-region".  Because of this, you usually get 6 "all-region" quarterbacks for a region that only has 6 teams.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:15 PM, Wrestlingfan22 said:

There are approximately 200 wrestling teams in the state of tn so your chance af being on this list is roughly 1 in 18 ithere are 78 d1 wrestling teams and the top 8 make all american so your odds of making all american in d1 is roughly 1 in 10 so respectively its harder for the everyday kid to make all state than it is for a d1 wrestler to make all american

you lost me. you think it’s easier to all american at the NCAA level than it is to medal in Tennessee..?

that’s…. quite the take. Heck, it’s harder to make an NCAA roster than it is to medal in Tennessee. Let alone reach the podium. Just because there’s more high schools than colleges doesn’t mean it’s harder to place here lolol but thanks for the free comedy show :roflol:

Edited by Bump11
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Bump11 said:

you lost me. you think it’s easier to all american at the NCAA level than it is to medal in Tennessee..?

that’s…. quite the take. Heck, it’s harder to make an NCAA roster than it is to medal in Tennessee. Let alone reach the podium. Just because there’s more high schools than colleges doesn’t mean it’s harder to place here lolol but thanks for the free comedy show :roflol:

Not saying it's easier but most high school kids have no desire to wrestle in college im saying the odds are better for a d1 wrestler to make aa than they are for a tn high schooler to make all state I dont even know why adults get so bent on downgrading accomplishments for KIDS because i promise you that every one of those kids on that list worked his or her butt off to be where they are so instead of making snide comments or saying that the mathematical odds are dumb maybe adults would be better served to pat them on the back and tell them good job