All State

fooseball95

5 hours ago, Wrestlingfan22 said:

I dont even know why adults get so bent on downgrading accomplishments for KIDS because i promise you that every one of those kids on that list worked his or her butt off to be where they are so instead of making snide comments or saying that the mathematical odds are dumb maybe adults would be better served to pat them on the back and tell them good job 

There's a set of posters here who exist only to throw off on kids.  Unless it's a nationally ranked kid, they wouldn't give them any credit or kind of encouragement.  

No one is insulting the kids, don't try to turn this around on them haha. They clearly only have an issue with you using statistics to state the fact that it is easier to be a NCAA All-American which is a ridiculous notion by the way. That is like stating Larry Owings a top 5 NCAA wrestler all time because he beat Dan Gable. It doesn't work that way.

Although I commend you for sticking up for the kids, I like the All-State team and show casing a rather overlooked sport even if it is just taking the top 4 without a lot of thought being put behind it.

But, no one is attacking the kids they were pointing out your flawed claim that it is harder to be All-State in TN than it is to be All-American in the NCAA.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rideOut said:

No one is insulting the kids, don't try to turn this around on them haha. They clearly only have an issue with you using statistics to state the fact that it is easier to be a NCAA All-American which is a ridiculous notion by the way. That is like stating Larry Owings a top 5 NCAA wrestler all time because he beat Dan Gable. It doesn't work that way.

Although I commend you for sticking up for the kids, I like the All-State team and show casing a rather overlooked sport even if it is just taking the top 4 without a lot of thought being put behind it.

But, no one is attacking the kids they were pointing out your flawed claim that it is harder to be All-State in TN than it is to be All-American in the NCAA.

If you follow along on several threads there's a pattern of 

"Kids are soft"

"They don't work as hard as we did"

"They duck competition "

"They're not mentally tough"

"They don't deserve a state medal, they didn't earn it"

I think that's what we're referring to.  It's a consistent pattern of behavior from the same posters. They praise a couple of Kids and minimize the accomplishments of all the others. 

I have seen those types of comments, and those can be demeaning. While some of the points are valid who are we sitting behind the keyboard to say, that should be a conversation for the athletes, their parents, and coaches. 

However, I do think there was a projection from the claims that this thread in particular was diminishing the kid's accomplishments. But, I do agree with your broad statement reflecting this forum as a whole.

11 hours ago, rideOut said:

If you go back and read more closely you will see that their gripe is because there are so many because of all the divisions and you're right I was not suggesting making all state was easier than making! Aa I was just saying that if you take the numbers it is not too many there are staristicly less all state.wrestlers than there are ncaa all Americans 

I think most who want one division are really thinking the following. Perhaps I'm wrong.

1. The parents, coaches, and administrators who want three divisions are soft, not the kids, as kids feed off what leadership adults provide.

2. Regardless of how everyone feels, myself included, it is indeed easier (unarguably so) to medal in the state of TN so if someone feels that kids didn't work quite as hard or earn it just as much it is a valid opinion regardless of popularity of said opinion.  Again, this isn't due to the kids as kids don't make the rules.

I've been steady in that I personally don't know what the best answer is but I do understand both points-of-view.  I've also been steady in that I would 100% combine 1A and 1AA while using 32 man brackets.  I like kids, respect their efforts, and I don't play the game of "kids today" because every old man that ever existed since the dawn of man played that same game. That game is dumb, if a kid stinks then his parents stink (exceptions of course). I've met very few bad kids but I've met many bad parents.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 4/21/2023 at 10:15 PM, Wrestlingfan22 said:

There are approximately 200 wrestling teams in the state of tn so your chance af being on this list is roughly 1 in 18 ithere are 78 d1 wrestling teams and the top 8 make all american so your odds of making all american in d1 is roughly 1 in 10 so respectively its harder for the everyday kid to make all state than it is for a d1 wrestler to make all american

I have been on Coach T for a few years now.  I don’t comment a lot but I do enjoy seeing all of the gossip. However, this post got me and has to be one of the craziest one I have ever seen. 

It baffles me that anyone with a half a brain can say it’s harder to make All State in TN to become a D1 AA. Crazy talk lol

7 hours ago, oceansize42 said:

I think most who want one division are really thinking the following. Perhaps I'm wrong.

1. The parents, coaches, and administrators who want three divisions are soft, not the kids, as kids feed off what leadership adults provide.

2. Regardless of how everyone feels, myself included, it is indeed easier (unarguably so) to medal in the state of TN so if someone feels that kids didn't work quite as hard or earn it just as much it is a valid opinion regardless of popularity of said opinion.  Again, this isn't due to the kids as kids don't make the rules.

I've been steady in that I personally don't know what the best answer is but I do understand both points-of-view.  I've also been steady in that I would 100% combine 1A and 1AA while using 32 man brackets.  I like kids, respect their efforts, and I don't play the game of "kids today" because every old man that ever existed since the dawn of man played that same game. That game is dumb, if a kid stinks then his parents stink (exceptions of course). I've met very few bad kids but I've met many bad parents.

I'd be OK with this Ocean. But the conversations initially started out for combining all team titles too. Some of the big school parents are unhappy with smaller schools getting their own division.  They played the old man back in my day card on that one too.

Once that got shut down,  it moved to individuals.  My kids  wrestled both AA and A. As a whole,  AA is much more difficult to medal or win.  There's more depth. A had some really great kids too,  AA just has more. 

Edited by TotallynotLEO

On 4/28/2023 at 6:13 PM, TotallynotLEO said:

I'd be OK with this Ocean. But the conversations initially started out for combining all team titles too. Some of the big school parents are unhappy with smaller schools getting their own division.  They played the old man back in my day card on that one too.

Once that got shut down,  it moved to individuals.  My kids  wrestled both AA and A. As a whole,  AA is much more difficult to medal or win.  There's more depth. A had some really great kids too,  AA just has more. 

I don't mind the split as a team for duals to be small, large and D2, my gripe has always been the individuals and not the team. It's why its a joke to even give a team title for an individual tournament and some college coaches have said the same with NCAA's and putting an emphasis on the dual aspect. The sport though is an individual sport, if I'm getting my butt beat by someone, i can't tag team out, I can't call in a sub I take that beating myself, just like if I absolutely demolish someone on the mat. I mean if it was just a team sport we would have never had champions like Tim Voiles. He was the only kid on his Lookout Valley team, so he traveled to get the best partners possible and I don't believe any coach in the area with a large school would turn down letting smaller teams come and practice with their teams. At Soddy we had all kinds of teams come and practice with us, I wrestled a few years with NO SPLIT and a few years with public/private. We would have schools come in and practice a few times each season with us. However as a dual team its almost impossible for a smaller school to compete with the Clevelands of the world or even Wilson Central. Maybe the top of the top could hold their own, but in the end the bigger schools would prevail. So I have no issue at all with a dual split for team titles and I never have. I mean at one time in the 1990's they did large(private and large public schools)  with a team title for them and one for small school division. That would be good to have, heck i was just looking and a school called Oakhaven was a RU to East Ridge in 1991, never even heard of the school before. 

• Upvote 1

I for one, would never say that any kids accomplishments are a joke.  It's not fair to them but more importantly it says something about the person saying it. 

Is it easier to medal at state like this?  Yes.

I do not care.  At all.  I know the level of effort it takes to get there,  it's a validation of that effort.  

5 hours ago, TotallynotLEO said:

I for one, would never say that any kids accomplishments are a joke.  It's not fair to them but more importantly it says something about the person saying it. 

Is it easier to medal at state like this?  Yes.

I do not care.  At all.  I know the level of effort it takes to get there,  it's a validation of that effort.  

who said anyone’s accomplishments were a joke?