Best Rivalries in 1A/2A??

TheWacoKid

8 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

But is it a "rivalry" to the athletes on the field? In my opinion, no.

Last 5 matchups between Huntingdon/Milan

2018: Huntingdon won 44-29

2019: Huntingdon won 40-39

2020: Milan won 49-20

2021: Huntingdon won 63-33

2022: Huntingdon won 42-21

Point being, since 2010, there's only been 3 Huntingdon/Milan games that finished with a one possession score. Two games by 1 point, and one game by 8 points. In that same time span, we had several games decided by 27 points or more, and one game decided by a final score of 62-18.

Due to geographical reasons, this isn't a rivalry anymore in my eyes. Huntingdon's rival is McKenzie. I imagine the players hang out with each other at the local sonic or Walmart parking lot. They got nothing else to do. If you ask the Huntingdon players today, who would they rather beat: McKenzie or Milan? They'll likely say McKenzie. 

You can make the same argument for Milan football players as they have South Gibson on their hands. With the game being on a Thursday night to open up the season, that game will mean more for Milan players than the Huntingdon/Milan game. 

Four of the last five South Gibson/Milan games have finished with a point differential of 5 points or less.

I know this was a rivalry in the past, but things have changed. The on field performance/results isn't there. In addition, you add a school down the street in South Gibson. You have a McKenzie team also has went to Chattanooga in the last two years. 

I think this new region will "revive" that rivalry. However, there isn't a need to revive the rivalry. Personally, for me, I don't care how many games we win (I'm lying), as long as we beat Milan and McKenzie. Milan, more so now since we are in the same region. The Dawg and Pony show!!

9 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Absolutely bigger to those outside looking in. Peabody/Milan may have had higher stakes for the last few years, but everyone on the western side of the state knows the "hate" between the Dawgs & Stangs goes back generations.

9 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Point being, since 2010, there's only been 3 Huntingdon/Milan games that finished with a one possession score. Two games by 1 point, and one game by 8 points. In that same time span, we had several games decided by 27 points or more, and one game decided by a final score of 62-18.

Due to geographical reasons, this isn't a rivalry anymore in my eyes. Huntingdon's rival is McKenzie. I imagine the players hang out with each other at the local sonic or Walmart parking lot. They got nothing else to do. If you ask the Huntingdon players today, who would they rather beat: McKenzie or Milan? They'll likely say McKenzie. 

You can make the same argument for Milan football players as they have South Gibson on their hands. With the game being on a Thursday night to open up the season, that game will mean more for Milan players than the Huntingdon/Milan game. 

Four of the last five South Gibson/Milan games have finished with a point differential of 5 points or less.

I know this was a rivalry in the past, but things have changed. The on field performance/results isn't there. In addition, you add a school down the street in South Gibson. You have a McKenzie team also has went to Chattanooga in the last two years. 

Although much of what TNS says is true I’m going to have to agree with Trader. Milan vs South Gibson is still a very “new” rivalry. There is really only one generation of students and parents that have had to deal with the games between the two. And truth be told most of those kids hang out together on weekends and are friends. 

Having played in Milan and lived in the Milan area for 40+ years I can tell you that the if you asked 8 out of 10 people what football team they despised the most and wanted to beat the most they would say the Stanks. There are many generations of people on both sides that have dealt with this rivalry and there are gold and silver balls in trophy cases that each team feels like belongs to them (many more in Milan’s case lol).  If South Gibson makes it further than Milan in a given sport Milan fans will cheer them on but that would never be said about Huntingdung. Any time a team can put a beat down on the Stanks it is a great day. And I’m sure Huntingdung fans feel the same about us. 

11 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

That makes no sense. Usually we're in agreement on many things but I think you're off on this one. I don't see how Milan/Huntingdon isn't a rivalry but McKenzie/Huntingdon is. I think Huntingdon wins 70-75% of the time historically 

I attempted to verify all this with two different websites. While these two schools are not close in proximity (3 hrs away), they have quite the history due to their 1A sustainability (don't ever see them moving up) and their successes on the football field not only against common opponents but each other. 

The Wayne County Wildcats and Moore County Raiders have met a total of 39 times.

In 1959 the two teams first met on the gridiron but interestingly enough Moore County was then known as Lynchburg. Wayne County won the first ever clash 28-14. After this initial meeting the two teams played 3 times in the 60s. In 1960, Lynchburg took revenge winning 14-6. Later they went on to beat Wayne Co in 63 and 64 by the scores of 12-6 and 27-6. The two teams did not play again until 1971.

In 1971 Lynchburg then became known as Moore County High. Moore County won the first meeting under their new name 14-3. The only other meeting in the 70s was a 30-8 victory by Wayne County in 1972. 

After a huge gap and some region realignments, the two teams squared off again in 1983. Wayne County won 7-0 and the games continued on in the 80s with the following results:

1984 Moore Co 29 Wayne Co 0

1985 Wayne Co 15 Moore Co 0

1986 Wayne Co 13 Moore Co 6

1987 Wayne Co 28 Moore Co 6

1988 Moore Co 48 Wayne Co 0

1989 Moore Co 27 Wayne Co 0

The eighties finished with Moore Co collecting only 3 wins to Wayne County's 4. 

The nineties were not kind to the Wildcats but as you'll see going forward this rivalry is streaky.

In the nineties the Raiders went 7-3 over their rivals but what is more interesting is the region was won by one of these two teams for the entire decade with Moore winning the crown every year except for Wayne Co being the region champ in 1994. 

Results:

1990 Wayne Co 43 Moore Co 7

1991 Moore Co 20 Wayne Co 6

1992 Moore Co 35 Wayne Co 20

1993 Moore Co 28 Wayne Co 0

1994 Wayne Co 27 Moore Co 7

1995 Moore Co 42 Wayne Co 33

1996 Wayne Co 21 Moore Co 14

1997 Moore Co 7 Wayne Co 0

1998 Moore Co 28 Wayne Co 14

1999 Moore Co 40 Wayne Co 3

The 2000s brought in a change of scenery as the Wildcats decided to dominate the next decade by winning 7 contests in a row. The Raiders won in 2000 by a score of 28 to 13 but then Wayne Co went on their roll. 

2001 Wayne Co 7-0

2002 Wayne Co 15-8

2003 Wayne Co 18-2

2004 Wayne Co 28-21

2005 Wayne Co 26-21

2006 Wayne Co 21-14

2007 Wayne Co 40-27

2008 Moore Co 17 Wayne Co 14

After a two year hiatus, the teams began play again in 2011.

2011 Wayne Co 49 Moore Co 14

2012 Moore Co 30 Wayne Co 0

2013 Wayne Co 28 Moore Co 0

2014 Wayne Co 33 Moore Co 7

Starting in 2015 realignment hit again and the series was put on hold. 

To my knowledge the teams did not meet again until a playoff matchup in 2020.

The Raiders dominated the playoff contest 49-14.

Starting in 2021 the teams became region opponents again with Moore Co winning 26-13 and winning again in 2023 by a final score of 34-25.

If you are still with me, I say all this to say what an amazing rivalry! I have the teams meeting a total number of 39 times with Moore Co winning 20 times and Wayne Co winning 19 times. It doesn't get anymore evenly matched than that my friends! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PercyPeabody said:

I attempted to verify all this with two different websites. While these two schools are not close in proximity (3 hrs away), they have quite the history due to their 1A sustainability (don't ever see them moving up) and their successes on the football field not only against common opponents but each other. 

The Wayne County Wildcats and Moore County Raiders have met a total of 39 times.

In 1959 the two teams first met on the gridiron but interestingly enough Moore County was then known as Lynchburg. Wayne County won the first ever clash 28-14. After this initial meeting the two teams played 3 times in the 60s. In 1960, Lynchburg took revenge winning 14-6. Later they went on to beat Wayne Co in 63 and 64 by the scores of 12-6 and 27-6. The two teams did not play again until 1971.

In 1971 Lynchburg then became known as Moore County High. Moore County won the first meeting under their new name 14-3. The only other meeting in the 70s was a 30-8 victory by Wayne County in 1972. 

After a huge gap and some region realignments, the two teams squared off again in 1983. Wayne County won 7-0 and the games continued on in the 80s with the following results:

1984 Moore Co 29 Wayne Co 0

1985 Wayne Co 15 Moore Co 0

1986 Wayne Co 13 Moore Co 6

1987 Wayne Co 28 Moore Co 6

1988 Moore Co 48 Wayne Co 0

1989 Moore Co 27 Wayne Co 0

The eighties finished with Moore Co collecting only 3 wins to Wayne County's 4. 

The nineties were not kind to the Wildcats but as you'll see going forward this rivalry is streaky.

In the nineties the Raiders went 7-3 over their rivals but what is more interesting is the region was won by one of these two teams for the entire decade with Moore winning the crown every year except for Wayne Co being the region champ in 1994. 

Results:

1990 Wayne Co 43 Moore Co 7

1991 Moore Co 20 Wayne Co 6

1992 Moore Co 35 Wayne Co 20

1993 Moore Co 28 Wayne Co 0

1994 Wayne Co 27 Moore Co 7

1995 Moore Co 42 Wayne Co 33

1996 Wayne Co 21 Moore Co 14

1997 Moore Co 7 Wayne Co 0

1998 Moore Co 28 Wayne Co 14

1999 Moore Co 40 Wayne Co 3

The 2000s brought in a change of scenery as the Wildcats decided to dominate the next decade by winning 7 contests in a row. The Raiders won in 2000 by a score of 28 to 13 but then Wayne Co went on their roll. 

2001 Wayne Co 7-0

2002 Wayne Co 15-8

2003 Wayne Co 18-2

2004 Wayne Co 28-21

2005 Wayne Co 26-21

2006 Wayne Co 21-14

2007 Wayne Co 40-27

2008 Moore Co 17 Wayne Co 14

After a two year hiatus, the teams began play again in 2011.

2011 Wayne Co 49 Moore Co 14

2012 Moore Co 30 Wayne Co 0

2013 Wayne Co 28 Moore Co 0

2014 Wayne Co 33 Moore Co 7

Starting in 2015 realignment hit again and the series was put on hold. 

To my knowledge the teams did not meet again until a playoff matchup in 2020.

The Raiders dominated the playoff contest 49-14.

Starting in 2021 the teams became region opponents again with Moore Co winning 26-13 and winning again in 2023 by a final score of 34-25.

If you are still with me, I say all this to say what an amazing rivalry! I have the teams meeting a total number of 39 times with Moore Co winning 20 times and Wayne Co winning 19 times. It doesn't get anymore evenly matched than that my friends! 

Amazing breakdown! Love the storylines there of teams that haven’t met much but compete everytime!

2 hours ago, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

That makes no sense. Usually we're in agreement on many things but I think you're off on this one. I don't see how Milan/Huntingdon isn't a rivalry but McKenzie/Huntingdon is. I think Huntingdon wins 70-75% of the time historically 

I agree with him that today's generation may think that Hunt/Mckenzie would be more of a rivalry. Since 2000 Huntingdon has won 12 and Mckenzie has won 11. But  to an old fart like me,  Milan and Huntingdon is still the best rivalry. McKenzie really wasn't relevant in football  prior to 2000. The 5 decades prior to 2000 they were only above .500 for 2 of those decades. It wasn't until the late 90's and tired of being complacent Mckenzie hired a tenured coach from out of state to turn the program around.  Another problem with the Mck/Huntingdon rivalry is they rarely meet in playoffs.

4 hours ago, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

I never said Milan/Huntingdon isn't a rivalry, because I do believe it is. Where you're confused is this: Is Milan/Huntingdon a rivalry to the football players of Milan and Huntingdon today? I'm not talking about parents/fans/alumni, talking about the players.

If you ask a Huntingdon football player, which one is more important: Milan or McKenzie? I believe they'll say McKenzie. Why? Because McKenzie has won the state title and they're on a 20 game regular season winning streak. With these two being extremely close, helps as well.

If you ask a Milan football player, which one is more important? Huntingdon or South Gibson? They may say South Gibson. Was it Milan that kicked a game winning field goal last year in this game? These game usually come down to the wire. South Gibson is now a 4A team that a lot of people are high on, and could win Region 6-4A. Again, these two schools are extremely close to each other. 

When you go based off recent scores between Huntingdon/Milan and Milan/South Gibson, the Milan/South Gibson games are usually the better ball game to attend.

Again, I do believe Milan/Huntingdon is a rivalry, but I think the players on the field today, may not care as much as the older generation that watched this rivalry played out on grass.

4 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I never said Milan/Huntingdon isn't a rivalry, because I do believe it is. Where you're confused is this: Is Milan/Huntingdon a rivalry to the football players of Milan and Huntingdon today? I'm not talking about parents/fans/alumni, talking about the players.

If you ask a Huntingdon football player, which one is more important: Milan or McKenzie? I believe they'll say McKenzie. Why? Because McKenzie has won the state title and they're on a 20 game regular season winning streak. With these two being extremely close, helps as well.

If you ask a Milan football player, which one is more important? Huntingdon or South Gibson? They may say South Gibson. Was it Milan that kicked a game winning field goal last year in this game? These game usually come down to the wire. South Gibson is now a 4A team that a lot of people are high on, and could win Region 6-4A. Again, these two schools are extremely close to each other. 

When you go based off recent scores between Huntingdon/Milan and Milan/South Gibson, the Milan/South Gibson games are usually the better ball game to attend.

Again, I do believe Milan/Huntingdon is a rivalry, but I think the players on the field today, may not care as much as the older generation that watched this rivalry played out on grass.

According to my cousin's boy, who played for Milan and just graduated. Beating Huntingdon means more. As someone who lives basically directly between Milan and Huntingdon it doesn't seem close. Just my opinion thanks for the clarification though I do see what you're saying just disagree. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

There is a lot more at stake again with Huntingdon/Milan being in the same district. The Milan/SG game is just for bragging. Same with Huntingdon/McKenzie. I may be wrong, but I don’t think McKenzie will hang with Huntingdon for next several years.