Football Education

strongx

Why use a 4-3 defense instead of a 3-4? Is it based on personnel? Does it depend on the type of offense on the other side of the ball? Is it strictly a preferred scheme? What are the advantages to each? Does one require certain skill sets at particular positions? Let’s hear from the decades of experience on the T! Free my mind!!

17 minutes ago, strongx said:

Why use a 4-3 defense instead of a 3-4? Is it based on personnel? Does it depend on the type of offense on the other side of the ball? Is it strictly a preferred scheme? What are the advantages to each? Does one require certain skill sets at particular positions? Let’s hear from the decades of experience on the T! Free my mind!!

Typically personnel. 4-3 if you have more DL type and 3-4 if you have more linebackers. I know it sounds simplistic but that’s usually what people base it off of. 

Edited by RodgerDodger32

28 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

At Maryville we jump into a 3-4 when the other team has it second and short to assure that not only do they get the first down but also get five yards along with it. Would somebody please go over to Jim Gaylor's house and get on their knees and beg like a dog for him to come back.

Amen!! Gaylor was one of the best defensive coordinators in highschool football I've ever known.

42 minutes ago, RodgerDodger32 said:

Typically personnel. 4-3 if you have more DL type and 3-4 if you have more linebackers. I know it sounds simplistic but that’s usually what people base it off of. 

I had always assumed that. I guess the 3-4 should also help outside the box as teams spread it out?

In high school it seems easy deciding between your fourth best 6-2 DE/DT or your 4th best 5-11 LB, but I guess it all depends on who is better.

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

At Maryville we jump into a 3-4 when the other team has it second and short to assure that not only do they get the first down but also get five yards along with it. Would somebody please go over to Jim Gaylor's house and get on their knees and beg like a dog for him to come back.

Who’s the DC for the rebels now? Y’all still got the red bank DC on staff?