What about Oakland ?

watermaker

2 minutes ago, PaPaLegba said:

Smyrna went dancing again in 2010 and lost a close one. No Gray or Wilks then either. I agree it is nowhere close to what were seeing from Oakland or particularly Maryville. I do believe for those 5 years Smyrna was the standard in the mid state and the conversation was about "mantle's" being passed. That was a pretty great run they had I think those years have been forgotten a lot though.

Rutherford co/ mid tn bigger ball kinda jumped around for a little in between rankin at Riverdale and Creasy at Oakland. Smyrna, blackman, Siegal all had their time but they all beat each other up in the season and playoffs. Hillboro had a decent run for a little bit too

I don't think the Maryville dynasty is completely over,  if you could remove Oakland then Maryville would have more banners and the narrative about Maryville would be different. I think last year legitimately if Oakland didn't exist Blackman could have knock them from the state championship and this year if they're fortunate enough to make it to Oakland this would be their toughest route cause they have to get by Bearden or Boo Central, they're not Bradley Central they're Boo Central the fastest man to ever play high school football if you let the fans for Boo Central tell it

29 minutes ago, jhawk23 said:

He did win one but it was back in 2008 in his first year there. They went out in the quarterfinals and semifinals in his last 2 years 

I would still start their run with creasy in '16 or whenever he got his first with them. But that is a good fact and regardless I did know that the program was in good shape when creasy got it.

15 minutes ago, StarBright87 said:

I don't think the Maryville dynasty is completely over,  if you could remove Oakland then Maryville would have more banners and the narrative about Maryville would be different. I think last year legitimately if Oakland didn't exist Blackman could have knock them from the state championship and this year if they're fortunate enough to make it to Oakland this would be their toughest route cause they have to get by Bearden or Boo Central, they're not Bradley Central they're Boo Central the fastest man to ever play high school football if you let the fans for Boo Central tell it

I still think they will be competitive for sure. That region is just so tough with Bearden, Cleveland, and Bradley all playing the recruiting game now. I also feel like Maryville mostly had its hay day in 4A and since being in 6A the sledding has been tougher. Obviously they still won plenty of rings since moving up, but it wasn't as automatic as it had been. 

Then if you throw in the theory of where the Maryville v Oakland semi final game was played it makes it seem more fishy too. It was always a real close game when played in Maryville. When in Oakland it wasn't close. 

Regardless it seems like Hunt is done sooner than later and from what I hear either GQ is coming back, or Rang is having a homecoming. It won't truly matter though if they can't/won't recruit. In all classifications you have to recruit if you want to win it all. If you don't someone else will and they will beat you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

I would still start their run with creasy in '16 or whenever he got his first with them. But that is a good fact and regardless I did know that the program was in good shape when creasy got it.

They actually didn’t win their first one under Creasy until 2018. Came close in both 2016 & 2017

On 10/22/2023 at 1:58 PM, MidTennFootball said:

Another good week for Jordan James this week. 13 carries for 103 yards, both of which are career highs

Absolutely.  Didn't watch the game but checked his stats after the game.  He looks to be in mostly a two back system much like he was at Oakland.  If he stays healthy I look forward to watching him on Sundays in the future. Splitting reps saves a lot of wear and tear on the body.

23 minutes ago, ttitan27 said:

Absolutely.  Didn't watch the game but checked his stats after the game.  He looks to be in mostly a two back system much like he was at Oakland.  If he stays healthy I look forward to watching him on Sundays in the future. Splitting reps saves a lot of wear and tear on the body.

Was a smart move on Jordan's part following Lanning to Oregon where he knew there would be carries to be had. James doesn't have one elite skill, but he can do a little bit of everything, which will serve him well and your right about splitting carries.

Unless your a genetic freak like Derrick Henry, NFL teams look down on TBs that have alot of mileage before they get to the pros

On 10/20/2023 at 2:36 PM, SheriffofRedRock said:

I also feel like Maryville mostly had its hay day in 4A and since being in 6A the sledding has been tougher. Obviously they still won plenty of rings since moving up, but it wasn't as automatic as it had been. 

Deputy, 4A in the five class system was just about as tough as 5A. There wasn't that much difference. Maryville has won six 6A championships and has three 6A runner-up trophies. Maryville has won eight 4A championships and has two runner-up trophies. We are finally getting healthy and just knocked off a pretty good team loaded with D-1 talent. 

As far as the fishy part, the refs aren't from Maryville. We've had some doozies from the Tri-Cities area that  can't keep up with the speed of Oakland v. Maryville. 

16 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

Deputy, 4A in the five class system was just about as tough as 5A. There wasn't that much difference. Maryville has won six 6A championships and has three 6A runner-up trophies. Maryville has won eight 4A championships and has two runner-up trophies. We are finally getting healthy and just knocked off a pretty good team loaded with D-1 talent. 

As far as the fishy part, the refs aren't from Maryville. We've had some doozies from the Tri-Cities area that  can't keep up with the speed of Oakland v. Maryville. 

Just based off a quick skim from 01-08 I would have to disagree about 4A then being compared to 5A now. If that is what you meant. A few close games with Central and Mo West in the Early 2000s is the only competition they had when in 4A.  Also that 74 game win streak was during that time. Nothing close to that in 6A by ya'll or any other 6A team for that matter. 

If you were comparing the old 4A to old 5A in the 5A system being the same then you simply are wrong. Shouldn't have to explain that one.

Like I said in my previous post, ya'll have still won your fair share in 6A. I just think now with GQ being gone, added with the fact that yall aren't recruiting to the levels of some of the schools in the local East Tn area and the region Maryville is in is why the "fall" has happened. 

I'll give ya'll credit for beating Alcoa for sure, everyone picked yall to lose that one. They recruit at a high level, but still are 3A and play players both ways every year. To me yall should always beat them and for the most part you do.

On 10/24/2023 at 9:38 AM, MidTennFootball said:

Was a smart move on Jordan's part following Lanning to Oregon where he knew there would be carries to be had. James doesn't have one elite skill, but he can do a little bit of everything, which will serve him well and your right about splitting carries.

Unless your a genetic freak like Derrick Henry, NFL teams look down on TBs that have alot of mileage before they get to the pros

Question not relevant but you have a lot of knowledge on high school football. Max prep and I know it doesn't matter about rating till DEC but do they value private Div II AAA  inter league games more than 6A. Ex: Mcallie is rated 59 strength of schedule 33 , Baylor 54 strength 34 , MUS 45 strength14 . 6A you have Germantown 44 strength 14, Oakland 42 strength 19. I get strength of schedule, but is rating due to they value DivII AAA league inter schedule to be harder than 6A?  Only comparison I saw was Oakland / Mcallie scrimmage and it was close with Mcallie by a couple points but Oakland didn't have many key players participate. Morris didn't play Jones played 1 series , Haynesworth out, couple DBs out. Oakland dominated MBA was not close with those key players out or limited. So I guess my question how is the rating based. Strength of schedule without Oakland game vs Center Grove would it be way lower?