South Pittsburg vs Gordonsville (Stone Cold vs Action Jackson)

Southtowner

1 hour ago, TheBlueprint said:

Crazy to think I’ve been around long enough to remember all these but the ‘79 and ‘80 game. I was still a young whippersnapper and can’t remember those matchups. But I remember all the rest. Lucky enough to have played in the ‘86 and ‘87 games. Good times. Been a lot of good and fun games over the years and hopefully will be many more. Just wish we could start winning a few more of them :roflol:

I played in those 86 and 87 games as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rlh said:

Gordy rolled into South Pittsburg on Halloween night in 1980 ranked as the number 1 team in the old Class A.  It was the Pirates Homecoming and we threw the biggest Halloween Party in the state of Tennessee that night to the tune of 38 - 0 Pirate victory.  Gordy was supposed to whip SP all over the field. 

Our best stretch of football was for sure the late 70’s through ‘87. Some of those late 70’s and early 80’s teams missed the playoffs with 1 loss. Never have heard any stories from the real old timers about the 79 or 80 game against SP. I will have to ask around about that. I’ve always loved hearing the stories from my father about games before my time

12 minutes ago, powerp said:

Shaker U coming to Beene Stadium and Vic Grider field. Gordy fans are loud.

Our fans have been rather subdued this year. Especially the last 2 weeks with it being playoff time. We have had rather small crowds, even at home with good weather. I guess that’s what happens when you go into the playoffs at 6-4. Our fans can be rather spoiled thinking it’s a birthright to go to the quarters or further lately. I expect us to travel well. I hope so anyways. These kids deserve to have the support of the community

31 minutes ago, TheBlueprint said:

Our fans have been rather subdued this year. Especially the last 2 weeks with it being playoff time. We have had rather small crowds, even at home with good weather. I guess that’s what happens when you go into the playoffs at 6-4. Our fans can be rather spoiled thinking it’s a birthright to go to the quarters or further lately. I expect us to travel well. I hope so anyways. These kids deserve to have the support of the community

I'm sure Mighty Martin will be there

51 minutes ago, TheBlueprint said:

According to past players..Gordonsville is the toughest atmosphere to play at according to noise level. The fans should turn out this week.

10 minutes ago, powerp said:

According to past players..Gordonsville is the toughest atmosphere to play at according to noise level. The fans should turn out this week.

7 minutes ago, BigCornbread said:

In no particular order these were the loudest for me personally

Gordy

Trousdale 

Signal Mountain in early 2010s  

Can’t speak for Signal Mountain but our place is for sure a tough spot to play. In my opinion, I think the atmosphere at Turney Ford has fallen off a little bit but still a tough spot.

Same goes for the Creekbank in TC, if the Jackets are good. Good luck going there and coming home with a win. It took us from ‘87 to this year to get another win over there