Future of Dobyns Bennett Football

indians1987

18 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

"The last coach" had success due to a great defensive coordinator named Darrell Watson. Don't believe me, compare his record with Watson and without Watson. Those last five was without Watson. Watson could always keep the other team at bay long enough for Clark to get his act together and call a few plays. The national search was a farce. It was decided who would take over before Clark ever made the announcement. I don't have anything against Christian, but he's obviously not head coach material. He was a good line coach. It only gets worse from here. He'll hang on until he strings about three losing seasons together and runs out of excuses. The Science Hill thing is mostly due to it being Science Hills Super Bowl. The game being at the end of the season, Science Hill looks forward to it and DB just wants to get it over with, go play their one playoff game and hang up the cleats. Before Science Hill went on this ten-year run DB had beat them 18 times in a row. But they also had Darrell Watson for those 18 games. The program is rotten to the core. It will take a lot more than a head coach to fix it. 

This is an opinion piece. 

Waco my first 2 years out of College 1976-78, I coached at TN High. Yep, Darrell Watson was there. He was magic. His unique ability was to simplify. We liked each other and I highly respected him as a man and coach. He told me that if I stayed in the business I would probably be a defensive line and Linebacker coach. He gave me 4 things for winning upfront. Good stance, control gaps, good hands and wrap up. Of course it was more complicated than that, But if you don’t do those things all the sets and stunts in the world are meaningless.

On 11/23/2023 at 10:14 AM, BarneySox2007 said:

Biggest thing that has hurt the football is that they allowed the school to get out of hand on enrollment and now they can't accept tuition students. That's our leaders for us. If a family lives in the county and wants to go to Maryville they either move into the city or they can't go there. It will be like that for a few more years until new school is built. Other thing that hurts no one talks about is that the 9th grade goes to a different school half mile away at the junior high. Because of that the 9th grade can't compete in spring practice. We had a bunch of 9th graders come on during the season. Had Derek had those kids to work with in the spring he would have been in a better position at the first of the year.

You mean you now have to play with Maryville kids only? Kind of what we have been saying for 15 years

DB seems to be a little down athletically, they have size up front, the QB is OK but their skill isn't there on offense or defense. I watched the Science Hill game on stream and the Hilltoppers won because they had a few more athletes who could make plays. I too, wonder if DB is getting all they could out of the hallways there. Don't see those Sensabaugh type guys they used to always have. Next year, same schedule, just flipped as to home and away. We will see, 

12 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

DB seems to be a little down athletically, they have size up front, the QB is OK but their skill isn't there on offense or defense. I watched the Science Hill game on stream and the Hilltoppers won because they had a few more athletes who could make plays. I too, wonder if DB is getting all they could out of the hallways there. Don't see those Sensabaugh type guys they used to always have. Next year, same schedule, just flipped as to home and away. We will see, 

I know for a fact that Boone has athletes walking the halls every year, since DB is over twice Boone's size there is no doubt a plethora of athletes is left on the table every season.        I would venture to say that all Tri-cities 5A & 6A schools are that way.        What would it take to get those guys out onto the field....   String together a couple of deep playoff runs?     Getting a couple of signature wins (games in which you are an underdog) each season??      I don't know for sure but as they say, Winning breeds winning.          Elizabethton & Greeneville figured it out

1 hour ago, MuddleHuddle said:

Rumor that some of my Kingsport friends are running with is that GQ coming to DB. Don’t know how that works with there already being a head coach at the school.

Even if it's true the Tri-cities big schools do NOT have the culture to support a championship football program.     Could GQ go against the powers that be and change that?     Maybe but it would be an uphill battle.