Gallatin Coach Calvin Short passes away at age 82

GWAVE1

This is tough news for me personally.  Calvin was a legend in this town.  He was always nice and willing to talk.  He guided and raised so many young men in his career. He was feared by his opponents and respected throughout the southeast.  Off the field, he was as nice as could be.  I could be wrong but I believe he was 205-30 for his tenure at Gallatin.  3 state titles and 3 runner-ups.  He will be missed!!  Thank you Calvin Short for everything you did for the high school and this town.  Prayers for his wife, kids and grandkids.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

This is tough news for me personally.  Calvin was a legend in this town.  He was always nice and willing to talk.  He guided and raised so many young men in his career. He was feared by his opponents and respected throughout the southeast.  Off the field, he was as nice as could be.  I could be wrong but I believe he was 205-30 for his tenure at Gallatin.  3 state titles and 3 runner-ups.  He will be missed!!  Thank you Calvin Short for everything you did for the high school and this town.  Prayers for his wife, kids and grandkids.  

The greatest coach in the state of Tennessee in my opinion.  I'm not from Gallatin but played against  Short coached teams.  Always disciplined and hard hitting.  In an era with only 3 classes and would dominate.  A constant fixture in the Clinic Bowl.  A true legend.  RIP.

7 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

You are correct. 1976-1993. 18 seasons. 205-30 record.

He then went on to be the principal at Portland High School where he had Roger Perry as his head coach and won the state also. Basketball teams also went to state. Athletics were at an all-time high at PHS while he was in charge.

45 minutes ago, chs1984 said:

Sorry to hear this. Gary Rankin once cited him as someone he patterned his programs after.

Gary had some nice comments about him.  Short was the standard bearer when Rankin was starting out.  Many had hoped Gallatin would have been one of Rankin’s stopping points along the way but it never happened.