Cleveland High School Recruiting

Ummmno

18 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

Crying Gif - IceGif

You

I would love to know how you know Alan pays for all the wrestling trips these kids take every year? Where is your proof because my sons travel all over and wrestle for Cleveland and nobody has ever gave us money to go to these tournaments. It's all sacrifices we make as parents to give our kids the best opportunities and experiences. 
Cleveland takes kids to Fargo in the summer you think Alan pays for that? I promise you he does not, kids are out mowing lawns, washing cars etc. to make it to that tournament. 

Its really sad to see grown adults make outlandish statements on here and don't even have their facts straight

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TotallynotLEO said:

I feel like we do this every. Single.  Year.  

I'm not hating on Cleveland. It's a lot of things that get them where they are. Years ago I sent one of my kids to a camp there and we've competed there in FS/GR. 

Let's take a kid from a small school. He's a good,  maybe even great athlete.  He's motivated and willing to work just as hard as anyone else.  He doesn't have the best training partners. Maybe he got 2 or 3 years in a youth program before high school. He did a couple top 100 events and all the local AAU stuff. 

He gets to high school. He had to roll out mats before practice and roll them up after. Bare minimum facilities and equipment.  Decent,  but not great coaching. Average to poor training partners. He competes locally in state.  If he's lucky he gets to go an in state tournament halfway across the state a couple times a year.  He doesn't have the funds or ability to go to any big tournaments.  But he's dedicated and works out, a lot.  How far does he get? It's likely his parents can't afford to send him year round to camps or out of state tournaments.  

That's the reality for many if not most high school wrestlers.

Now,  take the same kid. When he gets to HS he has access to better training partners. Every day in practice he has 3 or 4 team mates that are hammers. Better facilities to practice (more mat time,  less time setting up,  taking down). Better coaching,  even if it's marginally better.  His team gets to travel and see there's levels to this stuff.  Out of  state tournaments against the best. Those things co$t money.   More matches against better opponents. Access to better weight room facilities and a program. 

It's the same kid in both scenarios. Which one is better at the end of his HS career? It's not just one thing. It's not just the money or the coaches.  You have to look at it holistically.  But each one of those things matters and gives you a better chance.  To say that facilities and money don't matter is absurd, they do.  So do the other things.  Cleveland has all of these advantages in great numbers. It's the same for the private schools.  

That's why when you say it's just hard work,  it falls on deaf ears and makes you look foolish. We do this every year.  

I actually agree with what you’re saying, BUT what we mean by hard work is the hard work Bosken put in early. You think Alan was handing him a blank check (which he isn’t) before anyone in the 423 area code knew who he was??? He worked his butt off to earn the respect and the money followed that. I don’t think anyone is saying Cleveland isn’t lucky to have Alans support but it wasn’t just handed over it was EARNED. Josh and Joey ran the fireworks tent to pay for travel this summer. HC ran a tournament with over 2000 wrestlers last year to help pay for new mats and travel for coaches. It’s not that other people don’t work hard, but they don’t live and breathe this sport like Cleveland does. Not many coaches are driving back from Tulsa OK and getting back at 5am going straight to school then running practice from 3-8pm with no sleep. Maybe a few, but not many. This is why hundreds of kids come to Cleveland camps and wanna come partner with Cleveland kids and be coached by Cleveland coaches. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TotallynotLEO said:

I'm not hating on Cleveland. It's a lot of things that get them where they are. Years ago I sent one of my kids to a camp there and we've competed there in FS/GR. 

Let's take a kid from a small school. He's a good,  maybe even great athlete.  He's motivated and willing to work just as hard as anyone else.  He doesn't have the best training partners. Maybe he got 2 or 3 years in a youth program before high school. He did a couple top 100 events and all the local AAU stuff. 

He gets to high school. He had to roll out mats before practice and roll them up after. Bare minimum facilities and equipment.  Decent,  but not great coaching. Average to poor training partners. He competes locally in state.  If he's lucky he gets to go an in state tournament halfway across the state a couple times a year.  He doesn't have the funds or ability to go to any big tournaments.  But he's dedicated and works out, a lot.  How far does he get? It's likely his parents can't afford to send him year round to camps or out of state tournaments.  

Now,  take the same kid. When he gets to HS he has access to better training partners. Every day in practice he has 3 or 4 team mates that are hammers. Better facilities to practice (more mat time,  less time setting up,  taking down). Better coaching,  even if it's marginally better.  His team gets to travel and see there's levels to this stuff.  Out of  state tournaments against the best. Those things co$t money.   More matches against better opponents. Access to better weight room facilities and a program. 

It's the same kid in both scenarios. Which one is better at the end of his HS career? It's not just one thing. It's not just the money or the coaches.  You have to look at it holistically.  But each one of those things matters and gives you a better chance.  To say that facilities and money don't matter is absurd, they do.  So do the other things.  Cleveland has all of these advantages in great numbers. It's the same for the private schools.  

That's why when you say it's just hard work,  it falls on deaf ears and makes you look foolish. We do this every year.  

By your logic all of those poor kids from Dagestan would never be world or olympic champions. Yet, somehow they manage to produce the best combat athletes in the world year after year. So yeah, facilities and money don’t matter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ummmno said:

You really think bosken and knox are the ONLY two coaches who take their kids to these tournaments? Seriously?

See this is the crap we all talk about when we say we're annoyed with the "we outwork everyone" bs. To actually think they're the ONLY coaches who take their kids to the big national tournaments or have been doing it longer is absolutely asinine. 

And of course Alan or him in some capacity pays for it. Seriously, this is just stupid at this point. The arrogance of you guys is baffling. 

Again, we never said they were the only two who did so. What I said is they are the best coaches and that is why they are getting the best results. Also, if Allen is paying for any portion of the trips I have taken all over the country for the last 9 years with my son, I sure as heck have not seen that money. YOU keep making my point. YOU asked “how are we different?” YOU pointed out that other coaches are coaching hard and traveling. So why are we winning (and don’t say transfers and force me to put the dozens of state placers and champs that started in our beginner program on here)? It is simple, Joey and Josh are the best at what they do in TN. Period. You can call that arrogance, but they have the trophies and D1 wrestlers in the volume necessary to prove it.

Edit:

Kell said it best: it’s not that other coaches are not doing things, Josh and Joey are just doing more and doing it better.

Edited by FrecoFanatic
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FrecoFanatic said:

Again, we never said they were the only two who did so. What I said is they are the best coaches and that is why they are getting the best results. Also, if Allen is paying for any portion of the trips I have taken all of the country for the last 9 years with my son, I sure as heck have not seen that money. YOU keep making my point. YOU asked “how are we different?” YOU pointed out that other coaches are coaching hard and traveling. So why are we winning (and don’t say transfers and force me to put the dozens of state placers and champs that started in our beginner program on here)? It is simple, Joey and Josh are the best at what they do in TN. Period. You can call that arrogance, but they have the trophies and D1 wrestlers in the volume necessary to prove it.

Is it “we” already? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FrecoFanatic said:

By your logic all of those poor kids from Dagestan would never be world or olympic champions. Yet, somehow they manage to produce the best combat athletes in the world year after year. So yeah, facilities and money don’t matter.

This is such a stupid take on anything I said.  

But if you want to use that,  by all means let's look at it.  It's a country of just over 3 million with wrestling as the most popular sport.  Gyms and training centers everywhere,  kids start young and are going against hammers from elementary age. It's also cultural to wrestle there.  I've spent a great deal of time in the middle east and got to meet people from cultures where wrestling is to them what basketball is to us, only bigger.  With that many numbers in that culture of course they're going to churn out great athletes. And they are only poor by your standards.  Within their country,  they're not.  

All this is moot anyways.  You can't debate the topic so you pull out a strawman argument to conflate talking points. Your response confirms my statement on entitlement.  

42 minutes ago, WrestlingDad23 said:

I would love to know how you know Alan pays for all the wrestling trips these kids take every year? Where is your proof because my sons travel all over and wrestle for Cleveland and nobody has ever gave us money to go to these tournaments. It's all sacrifices we make as parents to give our kids the best opportunities and experiences. 
Cleveland takes kids to Fargo in the summer you think Alan pays for that? I promise you he does not, kids are out mowing lawns, washing cars etc. to make it to that tournament. 

Its really sad to see grown adults make outlandish statements on here and don't even have their facts straight

I will say we wrestled a couple times with HCWC and our shirts said check into cash. Not sure what or if he paid for anything. But his business was on the shirts but that was years ago. 

3 minutes ago, desselle said:

I will say we wrestled a couple times with HCWC and our shirts said check into cash. Not sure what or if he paid for anything. But his business was on the shirts but that was years ago. 

90% of the kids on those teams your speaking of didn’t wrestle at Cleveland haha that was to help make it affordable and it benefited non-Cleveland kids

1 hour ago, TotallynotLEO said:

Also, it’s sounds like you are recruiting people to Cleveland, not us. “Great partners, great coaches, great facilities, and great opportunities,” and  “if only other high school kids had the same thing”. Lol. I can’t imagine why people who are wrestlers would want to move to Cleveland (that is sarcasm in case you missed it). Great partners are made. We have multiple state placers, state champs, and Fargo AAs that were training in Bosken’s garage when they started wrestling, and also in a barn with mats he paid for out of his own pocket that were being rolled out everyday. I remember when those kids were beginners and were taught how to drill, how to wrestle, how to be a great partner. When they started, we did not have a “room full of hammers.” No room starts that way. You think there is some partner fairy that just makes those kids appear out of thin air? It does not work like that if you want your club to be really good. And while I am at it, how many kids from our club transfer to other schools? We have kids that train during their developmental years and we teach them how to wrestle, instill winning values in them, take them all over the country, and what happens? They go to a prep school like Baylor or McCallie. Not casting stones because they have to do what is best for themselves, their family, and their situation. My point is, many kids we invest years into go to other schools. You know what we do? Root for them anyway because they are still family, and say next man up.