Ezell Harding "What lesson are you teaching?"

Winner

sbcoach: let me try again. Maybe I was unclear. When I go back and read winner's posts, it looks as if winner has problems with the coach. Winner poses a number of hypothetical questions - and they're fascinating and probably appropriate.

My question is: why post them here? Why not go in and talk to the coach, etc? And if you don't get answers that you like, drop it! Cause it's not your call! It may be your son, and you love him more than anything, but instead of asking questions of others-ask yourself: what am I teaching my child by my behavior?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an update on the Ezell players...last night against Brentwood Academy, Ezell lost 78-45 in a game that never was close. Here are the stats for the 3 added players listed with regard to the team's total stats.

EZELL: 16 FG, 12-23 FT, 1 3P, 45 PTS

3 Players Combined: 10 FG, 8-15 FT, 0 3P, 29 PTS

Antoine Owens: 4 FG, 4-9 FT, 0 3P, 12 PTS

A.J. Blackburn: 6 FG, 1-2 FT, 0 3P, 14 PTS

Austin Henderson: 0 FG, 3-4 FT, 0 3P, 3 PTS

The whole problem with this is not the players coming back. It is the fact that people look at Ezell Harding as having only one goal and that is to win at any cost. Nobody would make a big deal if it was at any other school and to be honest most coaches wouldn't allow this type of thing to happen. However it has and this is just the kind of thing that makes their school look shady. As for the coach, if he can handle the problems , if any, that may come out of this then good for him, You reap what you sow. ;)

For crying out loud, let's not make this more than it is. Let these young men finish their senior year with no regrets, which they probably would have had they not played. Unless they are beaking any rules, which they are not, this is nobody's business but Ezell's and the kids involved. I hardly think this will ruin anybody's life, and to compare this with employers, employees, and marriages is a little far-fetched. Hoopsmom, Goodpasture is certainly a good team, but probably is one of 3 or 4 teams that will contend for the district title. I'm not an Ezell guy, but when Antoine, AJ, and Austin get their legs back, Ezell will be a team with which to be reckoned.

In the original post Winner said- "DCA players are required to lift and do conditioning during the summer months. They have to keep records and make 90% of the workouts. Players who do not meet the criteria have to sit out a certain number of quarters before being allowed to play. Because of this rule, players missed the early part of THIS season and it cost DCA a couple of games. It was the right thing to do.

These rules are in place to see that there is discipline and order on the team. It is also there to teach the players that they must be "self-disciplined."

I know schools are limited to 10 days of actual practice in the spring but does TSSAA allow schools to REQUIRE lifting and conditioning in the summer as a basis for playing time when the season starts. I know most schools expect it but kids need to have life too. 90% seems extreme.

Just an observation.

Hey,

Why doesn't Ezell-Harding recruit more in basketball? What happen to all those fingerpointers this time last year? Rumor has it that this A.J. Blackburn kid was spotted in a church league and brought in just to finish out the season. You guys look silly now cause it is silly to point fingers at a team that was 0-13 and say they recruit now isn't it.

Here's the sad thing about the Ezell-Harding basketball program. The Class of 2003 I think and most people will agree is the most athletic class that has ever been at Ezell-Harding Christian School. They have been a huge part of the reason for a football state championship and 2 runnerups state championships in basketball. (I'm talking boys for now, but the girls side is also very athletic also) Did you know that on the 2001 team there were 10 sophomores on a Varsity team that finished as State runner-ups? And all those players that were on that team still go to Ezell-Harding? Is there anyone else out there that believes that if these boys were still playing together they would have not only been contenders this year, but would have won it all last year?

Just my thoughts. As for A.J., Austin, and Antoine, we're glad you're back, you are making it worth our money to stick around for the boys game now.

Good luck the rest of the season EHCS Boys and Girls!

D.Gee

YEAH GeeMan!!! haha the class of 2003 dominates the athletic world at Ezell... I'm proud to be a part of that. From the McCool girls to Slusher to the boys in question, the seniors this year are some all out athletes. C'mon guys, its their senior year... the boys team needed a little help, and the trio came to the rescue. If it were your school, you would have no problem with it would you? As a classmate to these boys, welcome back... as a fan of high school bball- GO EAGLES!!!

I think this must have been a tough decision for all of the coaches and administration at EH to make. I have had boys miss out on all of Spring practice (with no excuses) and all of the off-season weight training, and I have refused to let them on the team because of existing team rules. But I also understand that the school administration can "force some issues" (I'm not saying that was the case here) and parents do have some input on these issues. I would hate to be put into this position as a coach, but I fear the team's record may have had something to do with the final decision. You have to ask yourself if the eagles had been 10-1 at that point, would the same decision had been made, and if so, would anyone really care? I agree with CoachT, this is an issue for the school administration and coaches to make, and all of our speculation is just that, speculation. Being a head coach can be a very tough job, there is so much pressure to win, and you can never please everyone!