My Guesses at 4-5A

TDCman

Guest region4fan

I did not realize that Coach Johnson was from Lincoln County. Many great ones have served some time at the pit. It was always my understanding that if the job became available, Rankin wanted it. Of course, that may have changed.

And YES, I consider Franklin the "MIGHTY REBELS!!"

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

Unfortunately if he did go to Lincoln County, both of us would still have to face him again. The only thing that I could think of that is worse than Rankin coaching at Tomahawk...is Rankin coaching at the PIT!!

aaaahhhh, Rankin is going to leave Riverdale every year. About 5 years ago he was going to leave for Gallatin before Lassiter got the job. That rumor always seems to be out there. But I agree that if it is true he would be much worse at the PIT. I hope that Louis Thompson hangs around for a few more years , he always has been a classy guy.

Unfortunately if he did go to Lincoln County, both of us would still have to face him again. The only thing that I could think of that is worse than Rankin coaching at Tomahawk...is Rankin coaching at the PIT!!

FACT, rankin is a very good coach but not a GREAT coach. FACT, in the the past he has had some the best talent in tenn. FACT, now that the boro has more teams riverdale will not fare so well in about 3-5 yrs. FACT, it's already starting to show. FACT, they use to beat everybody by 5-7 tds in the 90s, except for a couple of teams in the playoffs. FACT, a great coach is george quarles of maryville. FACT, he can take average to slightly above average talent and win 4 championships in 6 yrs. FACT, i promise you that rankin or no other coach from the boro could accomplish this feat. FACT, maryville would have beaten any boro team in the last 5 yrs. FACT, watch what another GREAT coach can do this yr(meadows of jeff co will help the patriots bring home another goldball). FACT, in one yr he took a program that had been in the slums for yrs and took them to the qtr finals.

Edited by JPATS5

Guest region4fan

In an earlier post, on another thread someone mentioned that Maryville had 156 players on their team. That is a phenomenal number of kids for a 4A school. Could that mean that maybe some kids are moving in from other areas to be a part of the Maryville tradition?/ How many high schools are there is Maryville? I think there is just one. That neans that Maryville does not have to share their talent with any other school.They get EVERY kid!! The fact that there are 3 5A schools in Mboro now and there will be another this fall tells you that Rankin did all the wonders that he has w/o getting all the talent in Murfreesboro. Now let's remember that during the late 90's, Oakland won the state once and went to the game beore the clinic bowl another year. So that means that Mufreesboro teams have dominated 5A for about 10 years. The talent was split between the schools. I would like to see if Maryville could attain the status it has had if put into the same situation as Riverdale....losing many players to Blackman and still winning the state and then going back to the Blue Cross Bowl. Until Maryville has to share their talent, there is NO comparison in the 2 schools!!!

And BTW, Rankin is a GREAT coah! He not only lost players to Blackman, but coaches as well.He had a new Defensive coordinator this year. His last one, you may remember him, Ron Crawford, he WON the Blue Cross Bowl. Many thought that Crawford was the actual success at Riverdale, but I guess not.

And one more thing, I watched the game between Maryville and Hillsboro. I think that Hillsboro beat themselves!

JPATS:

Your last name must be either Harbrace or Webster considering your grammatical correction of "touche". Look in either book you've published and find the word "touche". Sometimes I wonder if you're TRYING to be so moronic.

Now the FACTS.....the TSSAA permits a team to move UP to any classification they wish. So Maryville is welcome at ANY time to join the ranks of AAAAA. They could even put them in Region 4 - wouldn't make sense geographically, but let them play the best. Maryville's had exceptional teams, exceptional players, and exceptional coaching the past several seasons - no doubt, no question. I think Riverdale's in the same boat. in the 1990's and beyond Maryville and Riverdale have been the best programs in AAAA and AAAAA respectively. Rankin's 150 wins in 12 years would place him in the ranks of the GREAT coaches.

So JPATS, read up, son. Study more. Learn. Broaden your horizons (beyond East Tennessee). Improve that vocabulary. Oh, and don't correct grammatical and spelling errors - leave that to the coaches and fans on this board who teach English.

if you use "touche" an accent mark must be placed over the 'e'. that is the rule. oh, by the way, i have a minor in english. ever heard of the morphologhy of english? i didn't think so. anyways, you are wrong about maryville having great talent. for example, in the last the 2 championhip games nash. hillsboro had better talent and more speed than maryville did; however, they were outcoached.

In an earlier post, on another thread someone mentioned that Maryville had 156 players on their team. That is a phenomenal number of kids for a 4A school. Could that mean that maybe some kids are moving in from other areas to be a part of the Maryville tradition?/ How many high schools are there is Maryville? I think there is just one. That neans that Maryville does not have to share their talent with any other school.They get EVERY kid!! The fact that there are 3 5A schools in Mboro now and there will be another this fall tells you that Rankin did all the wonders that he has w/o getting all the talent in Murfreesboro. Now let's remember that during the late 90's, Oakland won the state once and went to the game beore the clinic bowl another year. So that means that Mufreesboro teams have dominated 5A for about 10 years. The talent was split between the schools. I would like to see if Maryville could attain the status it has had if put into the same situation as Riverdale....losing many players to Blackman and still winning the state and then going back to the Blue Cross Bowl. Until Maryville has to share their talent, there is NO comparison in the 2 schools!!!

And BTW, Rankin is a GREAT coah! He not only lost players to Blackman, but coaches as well.He had a new Defensive coordinator this year. His last one, you may remember him, Ron Crawford, he WON the Blue Cross Bowl. Many thought that Crawford was the actual success at Riverdale, but I guess not.

And one more thing, I watched the game between Maryville and Hillsboro. I think that Hillsboro beat themselves!

what boro school starts out 0-4 and goes on to win the state? it takes a GREAT COACH that can lead a hs football team from that kind of start to winning the championship game. also, how many division 1 schools are asking for rankin to come and coach? well, probably not many. as for quarles, he has had several offers. look at the two men: quarles 35, extremely intelligent, great motivator, and has self-discipline (6' around 170); ranking looks 50, average intelligence, good motivator, and evidently has little self-discipline--what's he pushing 250-260? he needs to quit putting away so many little debbies. give rankin an average program and see what he can do, probably only increase the win percentage by a little.

It's rare that I get enraged by something that is not Franklin related. But to say what you've said about Coach Rankin JPATS, ooo, what guts. Gary Rankin is one of the best coaches in Tennessee. Period. Age, size... what in the world does that have to do with his coaching?! Nothing. I think you're just jealous that you don't have coach that has taken Jeff Co. to the Blue Cross Bowl in recent years. He has already produced good times with less talent as pointed out by other members, so your theory there is wrong buddy.

And give me a break, who is going to take the time to sit here to put an accent mark over the e in touche. I think everyone else understood except you.

It's rare that I get enraged by something that is not Franklin related. But to say what you've said about Coach Rankin JPATS, ooo, what guts. Gary Rankin is one of the best coaches in Tennessee. Period. Age, size... what in the world does that have to do with his coaching?! Nothing. I think you're just jealous that you don't have coach that has taken Jeff Co. to the Blue Cross Bowl in recent years. He has already produced good times with less talent as pointed out by other members, so your theory there is wrong buddy.

And give me a break, who is going to take the time to sit here to put an accent mark over the e in touche. I think everyone else understood except you.

i never said he wasn't a very good coach--read my first post! but let me say it again--he is not a GREAT coach. furthermore, he does not have the ability to take his skills to the next level. as for size, it does matter. for example, the bible says if a preacher cannot control his own home how he control the church. so how can rankin teach discipline when he cannot control his eating habits. like i said, he needs to quit eating so many little debbies.

Guest region4fan

I believe even your average person knows that whenever you use the word "English," that it should be capatalized. It is used as a proper noun. Maybe you should actually listen while in your classes, Jpats55.

You didn't answer my question. HOW many schools are there in Maryville??