My Guesses at 4-5A

TDCman

Guest region4fan

Yes, the key word is POSSIBILITY>> Many thought Oakland was set to take it all last year. Unfortunately we lost our most punishing hitter, Jason Carter ( linebacker)with a neck injury.This was devastating to the team as the boys thought he was parylized He was out for his senior season. Not only was he probably the most talented and gifted athlete on the team, but he was also an emotional leader on the field. It was such a huge loss that the whole defensive scheme had to be adjusted . Did I mention that this happened right before game number 1?.Jason was twin brother to Jonathan Carter who had to be moved to DE as a result of the changes, a position he had never played. I may also mention that Jonathan won the DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR in Region 4 for 2002, beating out all players from Riverdale, including Mr. Football candidate, Emmanual Oglesby. So oakland definitely had talented athletes and graet coaching.

Now I have pointed out the above to remind our friend from Jefferson County that even with great coaching, desire from the kids, gifted athletes, etc..... injuries can leave you in the dust. Support your team well, but be prepared when you have to maybe eat your words. I often support other schools and teams, but no one said that I knew what I was talking about either. So don't get cocky cause one guy agreed with you. For every one that agrees, there are ten more that disagree.

Edited by region4fan

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe that this year's team will have better skilled players than 87. Unless you have a 6'3 230 tight end, a receiver, a QB, and backs that run 4.5 with tremendous toughness, I can't see Jeff being better than 87. I hope you prove me wrong.

What about the D?

Johnny Williams, Andre Batts, David Satterfield, Todd Collins, Brian Spivey, Mike Smith and Paul Helton are the best D I've ever seen. Forget the fair secondary. The QB would not have enough time to get the ball off consistently for 4 quarters. I talked to a MHS coach a couple weeks ago and he even said they would have had a hard time throwing down the field consistently or running the ball against that 87 team. I think that team, especially the D, is timeless.

Edited by missingthesouth

Guest region4fan

Hey Jeff County...how many players from your region or from your school are playing in the East/West game this week? We have 5 from our region playing. Also how many did you have in the TN/Ky game? Riverdale not only had Buford playing, but the head coach was none other than Gary Rankin. Maybe you heard of him...head coach from your FAVORITE school....RIVERDALE!!!!

Over the last three or four months I have a lot of things coming out of Blackman that lead me to believe this will be a very tough next couple of years. The talent is down a little and the coaching staff has had some changes. I think they have enough tradition already to stay pretty competitive though.

When those kids from Blackman that are freshman they will be ready to make a good run for a couple years.

Edited by mynameis

Guest region4fan

I am assuming you are referring to the kids that will be freshmen this coming fall, righ? Blackman's last year's freshmen from 2002 ...well... did they finally win a game? I know when Oakland varsity played Blackman varsity late in the season, the Blackman frosh had gotten 70 points scored on them in one game. I was told at that point in the season that they had had over 200 points scored on their defense. So I am hoping you mean the same kids that I was referring toin an earlier post that lost in the championship game to Smyrna Middle. Alsup has a way of taking mediocre kids and turning them into players. Just imagine what he could do with all the talent he is getting in this fall's frosh class!!I heard the Locke kid may get moved up to varsity. Hopefiully Juicy has learned from experience to stay out of the spotlight and let the coaches do their job!Also hopefully Shadowens from Smyrna won't run off or ruin the superior talent that he is being blessed with from the Smyrna Middle Champpionship team that will be his new freshmen :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: .

I find it hard to believe that this year's team will have better skilled players than 87. Unless you have a 6'3 230 tight end, a receiver, a QB, and backs that run 4.5 with tremendous toughness, I can't see Jeff being better than 87. I hope you prove me wrong.

What about the D?

Johnny Williams, Andre Batts, David Satterfield, Todd Collins, Brian Spivey, Mike Smith and Paul Helton are the best D I've ever seen. Forget the fair secondary. The QB would not have enough time to get the ball off consistently for 4 quarters. I talked to a MHS coach a couple weeks ago and he even said they would have had a hard time throwing down the field consistently or running the ball against that 87 team. I think that team, especially the D, is timeless.

jennings--better rb than kenny m., better lb than satterfield, houston--better rb than cunningham, better db than any player in the 87 secondary, brown--better wr than any wr on the 87 team (remember their best receiver was jason ensley, also a better db than and db on the 87 team, parker clement a better passer; quarles a better runner out of the veer, cantrell--about equal to any wr on the 87 squad, carson--a better db than any db on the 87 squad. to shorten this a bit, the 87 squad had 3-4 better linemen than this yrs team and a better lb (collins) than anyone on the 2003 team. missingthesouth, that was 16 yrs ago and alot has changed. players are better conditioned, stronger, have more knowledge of the game. i'll sum this up in one sentence--great teams of 16 yrs ago could not compete with great teams of today, PERIOD. p.s. as for batts being named all-state, that was a real joke. he couldn't do squat in hawaii.

Guest region4fan

Jpat....look why don't you and your buddy battle this 1987 argument on a new thread. I even have aname for it...how about Jefferson County Football?????What a new concept to discuss your team on a thread about your team. Try it, you may like it.

Otherwise answer the questions that were addressed to you on this thread!

When these dominating players actually win something, then you have something to talk about.  Brentwood is the defending state 5A champion, and I have given them nothing but respect on here.  They won the game, even if Riverdale may have had better stats.  Stats don't matter - the score is what determines the winner.  Riverdale 14 DB 9.  We played the next week, DB did not.  They were a very good football team, and I have nothing negative to say about them. 

I said early on last year that the 2002 Warriors would not be the most talented team Riverdale ever had.  They won several games just because they were Riverdale, and they refused to lose. 

So just for the record, my not so talented Warriors beat a marginal DB team that beat Jeff County twice?  I can easily see where you come up with a certain state title out of that.

The real problem is that I fear eventually M'boro will not be the dominant city in 5A.  We have now gone from 2 schools to 4 in the past three years.  Lots of talent still here, but it is spread out among more and more schools.  The biggest problem will likely be a lack of depth.  That is where Riverdale and Oakland had a real advantage in the past.  A couple of key injuries could have a real impact, where in the past the coaches would just plug in another great athlete.

Jpats, ya'll win the state title in 2003 and I will give you all kinds of respect.  But until then, it's all just talk.

riverdale, explain something to me. how can a team in week 3 beat a team by 3tds and the lose to that same team in round 2? being honest, riverdale was the better team, but as rankin put it, "the team had been missing something all yr even though this was their first loss." what were they missing?

Edited by JPATS5

Guest region4fan

I can answer that one. If you are referring to Riverdale's loss to Lincoln County earlier in the season..I have the answer. First of all your score is wrong. Riverale did not lose by three td's to Lincoln County. I believe it was by one point. Riverdale missed a field goal with no time left on the clock that owuld have won the game. One of their finest players , Taron Henry , was horribly injured early in the game. Henry was a 2 way starter who was so aggressive and fast. The team took an emotional hit with his injury. It was so severe that it was obvious to even the most clueless player that he was out for the season. Even so, Riverdale fought back and almost won the game after falling apart. The win over Lincoln County was simply showing the Falcons that their earlier win was a fluke and Rankin made personnel adjustment sthat worked. Now if you are referring to some other game instead, please let me know.

Guest region4fan

Thank you LordFrost. I set him up with his own personal little thread so he can discuss all his little rantings,ramblings, and ravings with someone who cares.( that is if anyone even responds to it.)

Edited by region4fan

Yeah JPATS Riverdale has fallen apart the past two years. A 28-2 record, an undefeated season, one state championship and a state runner up finish is almost embarrasing to the once proud Warrior program. It certainly can't compare to the record your guys put up over that time frame. I mean, you almost made it to the semi-finals.

This must be Bizarro world.

yeah, riverdale, just to clear things up i was talking about riverdale in the beginning (how they are drying up). that was my main topic, not jeff co.