My Guesses at 4-5A

TDCman

1996? Wasn't that in the last century? Since then Riverdale has two state titles and two runner ups, Oakland has one title.

1996? you've got to be kidding me B)

for argument's sake, riverdale's best teams was in 94 & 97. the 94 squad is probably tenn's 2nd greatest team ever, with the 96 brentwood a. team being #1. do you beg to differ.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usuallly I like an underdog. You know like Jefferson County would be against Riverdale, but now because of the billigerant ranting of one poster from East TN I will be rooting againt them every week. I don't think either team will make it to that meeting, but thats besides the point. JPATS5 if you think you guys are going to be that good then be glad no one in Mid TN believes it. Try to sneak up on them as much as possible. Beacuse with all your "well you were just lucky enough to beat the team that was just lucky enough to beat us" all you are saying is your team has no where enough "luck" to play with Riverdale. There is no such thing as luck in football, teams make their own luck. Riverdale has proven year in and year out. You don't scare them with magazines and 1996.

Hey guys I have a new idea why don't we just forgoe the enitre 5A football season because one guy says Jeff county has the best athletes and can't be beat. Just send them the Gold ball now. If everything JPATS5 said was half true there would be a lot more people backing him up then I have seen.

JPATS sorry no one care about the so called studs from jeff co. You have to remember this is a 4-5a post. Oh yeah, by the way nobody even cares what happened last year or any year prior, this is 2003. We folks in Middle Tn care nothing about the east or west part of this state. Now I'm not saying there isn't any good football teams in east or west TN simply put we in the middle don't care.

Usuallly I like an underdog. You know like Jefferson County would be against Riverdale, but now because of the billigerant ranting of one poster from East TN I will be rooting againt them every week. I don't think either team will make it to that meeting, but thats besides the point. JPATS5 if you think you guys are going to be that good then be glad no one in Mid TN believes it. Try to sneak up on them as much as possible. Beacuse with all your "well you were just lucky enough to beat the team that was just lucky enough to beat us" all you are saying is your team has no where enough "luck" to play with Riverdale. There is no such thing as luck in football, teams make their own luck. Riverdale has proven year in and year out. You don't scare them with magazines and 1996.

Hey guys I have a new idea why don't we just forgoe the enitre 5A football season because one guy says Jeff county has the best athletes and can't be beat. Just send them the Gold ball now. If everything JPATS5 said was half true there would be a lot more people backing him up then I have seen.

well, wise one why don't you just start a thread on how people think jeff will do this yr. i promise not to put in my worthless 2cents.

Sooo, back to Region 4-5A (moderators, is it just me or do threads concerning Middle Tennessee 5A regions have a hard time staying on topic? B) )... I'm wondering about Blackman. Not much has been said about them, or maybe I've just glanced over it. Are they going to have a down year? I have no clue and am truly interested.

i dont see how jpats can sit back and say that they will kill riverdale/oakland/blackman/whoever. They say riverdale was lucky to contain DB's speed. Who's to say it was luck? even if it was, every team has some luck. Besides, i would say that Oakland/Blackman(dont know about this years team)/Riverdale have had tremendous team speed in the years past...and i know oakland has tremendous team speed this year. I dont know if you know him jpats, but Carlos Crawford is a beast. he rushed for over 100 yards in every game accept 2. He almost had 200 rushing yards in several games, and would have if coach euverard hadn't taken him out and put in some younger guys. Bottom line is, Oakland blackman and riverdale have proven themselves in recent years. the past 2 years, THE ONLY TEAM TO KNOCK OUT OAKLAND OR BLACKMAN OF THE PLAYOFFS IS RIVERDALE. You dont know what its like to play football in middle tennessee...the level of competition is so much higher.

I know you said "in the last 2 years", but if you go back to the 99' semifinal game between Oakland and Sevier County-it looked to me like the East TN team made it look easy running up and down the field on Oakland. If not for Oakland's TB- Oglethorpe, it would have been a lot worse than it was. I believe we put 55 on them, and Oglethorpe ran wild and made it look closer than it ever was with their 20 or 30 points.

-I agree, for the most part Murfreesboro, not necessarily Middle Tennessee, has more team speed than East Tennessee. I must agree with JPats with the fact that Jeff County's skilled players are as good as I've seen since the 97 Riverdale team which in my opinion is the best high school team that I've ever witnessed. If Murfreesboro is as dominating as marketed, us boys from TN shouldn't even enter the playoffs. If not for a fluke special teams play, DB would have beaten Riverdale last year, and DB was marginal at best for them last year.

-My take is that I'm glad that high school football in Tennessee is gaining some momentum in recruiting as of late. I'm glad that Middle TN and East Tn can lend a hand to the Memphis area in college ball players to represent TN. Web sites like this simply creates conversation with other areas of the state that would not otherwise happen. Keep up the smack talking.

Guest region4fan

Blackman lost one of their motivational coaches....David Watson ...to Siegel. He was also a fine Offensive line coach for them. Just ask Rico about their lines.They are being really quiet right now. They have some superior talent that will be freshmen this year. The Blackman Flames at the Middle School are well-coached and should field some fundamentally sound players their way. They lost a few kids to Siegel , but I don't think it was anyone that they were counting on to be a big contributor.I think that they have established enough tradition to be a contender.

As for the remarks from the Jefferson County ardent fan........until you beat Riverdale in the 2000's, especially this year....you have no real justification to your bragging. As for the publications, David Wolke got invited to one of the most prestigious football camps around( He is the QB from Smyrna.) I am not sure why he wasn't listed in your precious magazine. By the way.....I certainly would not brag about committing to Vandy. Whlie it is a fine academic school where the young man will get an education worth bragging about.......the football team is not even mediocre. Although we Region 4 fans don't always agree with each other about our teams, we always seem to band against others who attack our region. If you can't play with the BIG BOYS in our region....go back to East TN with their E-Z schedule.

Oh and it is extremely difficult to win against a talented Sevier County team when your QB, Wardell Alsup and Desmond Rhodes were both not playing due to fighting the previous week . Both young men were all-state picks. I am not making excuses, but it does make a huge difference with your 2 best athletes were not on the field.I am not taking anything away from Sevier County, they had a QB with amazing talent. He was a one man show. However, Rhodes would have delivered a blow that would have rocked his ship! By the Way, what BIG SCHOOL IN D-1 is that QB playing for now?

Edited by region4fan

I know you said "in the last 2 years", but if you go back to the 99' semifinal game between Oakland and Sevier County-it looked to me like the East TN team made it look easy running up and down the field on Oakland. If not for Oakland's TB- Oglethorpe, it would have been a lot worse than it was. I believe we put 55 on them, and Oglethorpe ran wild and made it look closer than it ever was with their 20 or 30 points.

-I agree, for the most part Murfreesboro, not necessarily Middle Tennessee, has more team speed than East Tennessee. I must agree with JPats with the fact that Jeff County's skilled players are as good as I've seen since the 97 Riverdale team which in my opinion is the best high school team that I've ever witnessed. If Murfreesboro is as dominating as marketed, us boys from TN shouldn't even enter the playoffs. If not for a fluke special teams play, DB would have beaten Riverdale last year, and DB was marginal at best for them last year.

-My take is that I'm glad that high school football in Tennessee is gaining some momentum in recruiting as of late. I'm glad that Middle TN and East Tn can lend a hand to the Memphis area in college ball players to represent TN. Web sites like this simply creates conversation with other areas of the state that would not otherwise happen. Keep up the smack talking.

see, i do get some respect around here and he (tlove) is not the only one. word around east tn is that jeff co will be fielding their best team since 1987, and this yrs skill players are even better than those of 87. what does this mean? with good coaching, hard work, discipline, and maintaining a positive attitude, the possibility of winning it all is very much within their reach even it means going through the boro.

Edited by JPATS5

When these dominating players actually win something, then you have something to talk about. Brentwood is the defending state 5A champion, and I have given them nothing but respect on here. They won the game, even if Riverdale may have had better stats. Stats don't matter - the score is what determines the winner. Riverdale 14 DB 9. We played the next week, DB did not. They were a very good football team, and I have nothing negative to say about them.

I said early on last year that the 2002 Warriors would not be the most talented team Riverdale ever had. They won several games just because they were Riverdale, and they refused to lose.

So just for the record, my not so talented Warriors beat a marginal DB team that beat Jeff County twice? I can easily see where you come up with a certain state title out of that.

The real problem is that I fear eventually M'boro will not be the dominant city in 5A. We have now gone from 2 schools to 4 in the past three years. Lots of talent still here, but it is spread out among more and more schools. The biggest problem will likely be a lack of depth. That is where Riverdale and Oakland had a real advantage in the past. A couple of key injuries could have a real impact, where in the past the coaches would just plug in another great athlete.

Jpats, ya'll win the state title in 2003 and I will give you all kinds of respect. But until then, it's all just talk.

bluesally, this is a 4-5A thread, i can respond to anything on here. People all over the state put in their two cents worth when 4-5A is discussed. I meant I wouldn;t go to a site about Jeff county. If they come on this thread anything is fair game. IS there even a thread on the site about that region?