Its time

REBELRON

I agree Maryville has a way for killing the hype, which is coaching. GQ is the best in the game at this. Maryville does not look at this as a big game, just another game vs. a team trying to get where they are. Maryville however will have to play their best game of the season to slow those Bcats. This will be a huge task. I believe the Rebs will play well but this year this team has not developed the way others have. Rouse clearly needs to start at QB. #7 with 23 starts under his belt still has not developed the ability to look the field. Funny how this sounds I know, but it seems to be a fact. He threw into heavy coverage four times last week and put the defense in real bad position. Hence, two TD’s. The reasons for the two TD’s were bad field position and the inability of the LB’s to find the ball. #10 getting burned again! He got burned big time vs. West twice. One was more costly than the other. Playing both ways again I think is the problem with this. With the loss of #55 and the lack of anything exciting on offence I think Maryville’s run might have run out. I hope not and think not.

The Keys to the game as I see them: If the kids get up, the normal crowd shows up, and we will on what could be a cold night I think Maryville wins by not making mistakes or getting stupid penalties. Of course one never knows about those KFL ref’s. Never underestimate the Red Rebels! The strength and conditioning, and discipline in Maryville’s program, the home of the 3 Time State champs is of the best in the state. I also think that Maryville's defense will come up big again by slowing Central's playmakers to minimum yardage, like normal. Jackson only got 87 yards vs. Halls. Maryville offensively is the key to this game. Gaskin, McCord, Tallent and Clement need to get the ball, especially Gaskin. To do this the O line has to block better to allow the QB some time to look the field. If the Rebels can make things happen, and mix it up, Maryville wins a close one. See you there; I’ll be the guy wearing red!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

geez , cade makes a couple of bad throws and your ready to bench him ??? glad your not the coach . cade's a winner . let's not stir up any controversy . i'm sorry , but if you can't remember all the big time throws that cade's made , you must be watching a different game than i am !!!

how anyone could criticize a QB who's 23 - 0 boggles my mind

Edited by pepvol

The only thing is this season we really haven't had to play a full game except for the MoWest game. . .

And then there is always this - if McCallie can whip Central handily, then Maryville can beat them - Twice in the same season once in Week 9, and once more in the playoffs.

I predict that Maryville's defense will come up bigtime, limiting central's playmakers to minimum yardage.

Maryville by 2 touchdowns.

This will prove to be an equalizing factor. Central's starters really haven't had to play a full game other than the McCallie game that they lost.

And as far as that game goes... Central was playing a completely different defense then. They have made some major personnel adjustments since then that have made a big difference.

As far as either team beating the other twice, that is a difficult task. Unless the first game is just a blow out by one of the teams, there is a good chance that the other team may win the second meeting.

I have heard alot about the Maryville D, and to tell you the truth, I was not impressed last thursday. West did some things to hurt them. West obviously had better athletes at the skill positions, and everyone knows how much better Central's skill players are than West's.

As for a prediction, it is too close to call. I think both teams have high powered offenses, and weaker than normal defenses. The difference may come down to the special teams and penalties. To be honest, I don't know how good either team's special teams are. What I do know is that Maryville has the upper hand in the penalty category. Central seems to make a lot of mental mistakes resulting in penalties. And we all know how good the discipline of Maryville is.

Again I don't know if I can make a prediction. And as someone said earlier, this one doesn't matter that much anyway, you know that if everything goes as it should, these two should meet again.

Maryville basically struggled with the Williford kid against west as a lot of teams have. Other than that they played pretty well defensively and one of wests three tds came on a blocked punt recovery. Maryville's defense may appear weaker than normal but they have given up about 45 points in 8 games. Granted they have not faced a team like Central but i would not call them weak. I feel like this one like all big games who wins the battle up front and makes the fewest mistakes has the best chance.

I don't really remember many trick plays versus Central last year. I remember Carl Stewart with two long td runs and Brad Merritt picking up a fumble for one. This game has shaped up just like we all wanted it to. Both teams undefeated in the region going in. Central has more speed. But one intangible might be Maryville having more "big game" experience based on all the ones you play on the way to three straight titles. This game is too close to call. Many predictors in the media will pick Maryville because of the win streak and the fact that they are three time defending champions. I call it a toss up. I really think it is too close to call. And these teams will almost definitely meet again in week three of the playoffs. I plan on being there by six.

I havent seen Maryville play, I have seen Central play. Central has some big time weapons, Cassen Jackson is a very good back, Shavar Young is a good reciever but an excelent saftey with tons of speed, and Helton gets it done with accurate passes and very effective scrambling. The Central defense is not as tough as its been in years past but still good.

Like I said I havent seen Maryville play this season, but they do have the best coach in Tennessee in my opinion. The kids at Maryville the past 5-6 years have been the most heart filled kids I have ever seen. Even when they are down and out late in the game they dont give up and find a way to win ( Last year in state ). Maryville might have some of the most diciplined and hard working kids in the state, not to mention the most conditioned, top 5 atleast. And thats why they win.

My prediction... Maryville wins in the 4th

Maryville 24

Central 14

Edited by KFLfootball

I, too, think this one is going to be too close to call right now. Central's D has improved dramatically since they made some changes after the McCallie game. The Cats will have to keep the penalities to a max of 5-6 with none at critical times. The Central secondary will have to be disciplined and in position at all times. The line and linebackers will have to contain the run.

I think Maryville has similar concerns. They can't turn the ball over like they have. The Rebs line and linebackers will have to contain the run. Someone will have to mark Shavar Young. He's way too fast for Maryville if he gets a step on them. Maryville also will have to be smart in the special teams. Kicking off to Central is very dangerous.

Maryville platoons more than Central which is to their advantage. Central will have to stay focused for an entire game, which they have not had to do for a while.

What does all this mean? I think whoever wins the running game, cuts down on mistakes and is better at special teams wins. Should be one heck of a game.

My guess: Central 27 Maryville 24.