Brentwood Academy 27, MBA 24 (OT)

WesVLT

the reason they keep it on the field is that if the scoreboard which is not official,happens to stop working as in some games it does. that is why. the scoreboard is just to try to keep the fans know how much time is left about,but it is not official it is just to help the fans know where it is in the game and the players but it is not official. the clock clearly ran 2 seconds after tyler giffin spiked the ball which is where the extra seconds came ffrom for the last second field goal.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the game on television and do not know what the ruling on the on/off field clock is. From what I saw the clock ran out 2 if not 3 or more seconds before the ball was snapped and kicked. Granted the officials may have made the right call, but it sure seemed awfully bad with how poorly the final minutes of the game were played. BA won the game in overtime fair and square, but were handed the game in regulation, so it is difficult to say who deserved to win, as much as I hate to admit it, MBA deserved that game, and will prove it in a couple weeks.

how did mba deserve it? granted they did play a good game, but so did ba. if they deserved to win it they shouldve handled the ball better in the last minutes of the game to not even make ending like what happened tonight. if they deservred to win they shouldve blown it open like a national ranked team should do to a #6 ranked midstate team. i think BA played a great game and deserved to win it just as much as MBA did.

I know, I know the game is over and all of that, but I can't help but put in my two cents. I watched on TV as an outside observer just interested in seeing two good football teams (my team had played on Thurs. nite). And I was actually kind of rooting for BA. I don't know about the clock. The announcers on TV were calling out more time than the TV clock showed, but I'm not sure what all of that means. The bad call was the moving while the ball was snapped. BA's field goal unit ran on the field with less than 10 seconds remaining. Any coach will tell you that's almost impossible to get an entire unit on from the sidelines and get set for a second (they certainly didn't do that).

Both teams played well enough to win. The team that deserved to win was MBA. Why? Because the game should never have gone to OT. Bad calls happen to teams throughout games, it's just a shame a bad call allowed BA to tie the game in the last seconds.

Now, to address a previous post that said "they (MBA) should have handled the ball better on the field". Are you kidding? BA is the team that ran a QB sneak with no timeouts and 17 seconds left on the game clock. Had BA handled the ball better, there would be no questioning the bad call. I'm still scratching my head.

I taped the game and just watched the end AGAIN...in SLOW MOTION. My question is this... Is the clock in the comcast viewing the official clock? In slo mo, the clock is clearly showing 00:00 for about two seconds before the center's arm moves to snap the ball. Clock and center's arms are clearly visible.

And even last night, I kept expecting comcast to show that replay. Why didn't they show it?

IMHO Lincoln County could play with either of them....THIS year.

I will say this one time...

My comments in my first post in the thread and now in this post will be my only response to those who attempt to discount BA's win due to the final call. Let's give the BA kids credit for playing brilliantly and putting themselves in position for it to come down to one call. If you disagree with the call, that's fine. So do I (although I'm glad they made it!). But don't trash BA because of it, trash the refs. BA did not cheat. They played hard and got a break, then won the game in OT when MBA had the same odds BA did.

That is a rather big break to get, don't you think? MBA should have won that game. Period. Sure the bad snap hurt them, shure they should have made that FG, HOWEVER, the refs seemed to make every single call at the end of that game in favor of BA. The officiating was horrendous and it 100% cost MBA the game. BA played well, but they DO NOT DESERVE THIS WIN. I am sure they are quite excited, and I am sure that they played with great heart, but I don't call kicking a field goal with your line not set after time expired playing brilliantly. I call that lucky you had refs that should never have stepped foot on the field. I think someone needs to look into last night's officiating and get to the bottom of it. That crew should not work another important game this season.

I will say this one time...

My comments in my first post in the thread and now in this post will be my only response to those who attempt to discount BA's win due to the final call.  Let's give the BA kids credit for playing brilliantly and putting themselves in position for it to come down to one call.  If you disagree with the call, that's fine.  So do I (although I'm glad they made it!).  But don't trash BA because of it, trash the refs.  BA did not cheat.  They played hard and got a break, then won the game in OT when MBA had the same odds BA did.

That is a rather big break to get, don't you think? MBA should have won that game. Period. Sure the bad snap hurt them, shure they should have made that FG, HOWEVER, the refs seemed to make every single call at the end of that game in favor of BA. The officiating was horrendous and it 100% cost MBA the game. BA played well, but they DO NOT DESERVE THIS WIN. I am sure they are quite excited, and I am sure that they played with great heart, but I don't call kicking a field goal with your line not set after time expired playing brilliantly. I call that lucky you had refs that should never have stepped foot on the field. I think someone needs to look into last night's officiating and get to the bottom of it. That crew should not work another important game this season.

WILDCATFAN.....if all the calls went to BA, then why did they spot that pass to Santi on the 6 inch line, rather than the 2 yard line as it should have been?

Could it also have been that Rutledge did not have the confidence in his own team to go for the win on the 6 inch line and run Koban up the middle, or even let Fisher take it in? These are both Division I athletes. I think both coaches made some questionable calls in the end. This conversation would not even be taking place if Coach Rutledge would have punched it in. Koban ran through us like water all night. :)

Some of this is people simply parroting what Sperduto (the color man) was yelling all during the last few plays. Remember, this is the same guy who called "touchdown" on MBA's first pass in OT, when clearly it bounced...the same guy who kept yelling "they (MBA) were offside" after BA's game tying field goal, when they weren't...the same guy who was yelling that the spot on the pass to Santi in OT should have been spotted on the 4 inch line when clearly progress was to about the 1-2 yard line.

Here's what I saw: The scoreboard clock clearly showed 0.0 when the snap for the tying field goal was made. I would like to hear the "on-field" timing explanation from the refs...don't suppose we will ever get that. BA's formation was proper on the field goal...I don't know what Sperduto was talking about. BA's linemen were set for the field goal...again, a bit of hysteria from the announcer. Look at the tape if you have it, and I think you'll agree with my observations.

Having said all that, I am seldom if ever one of those who says that "it's a shame either had to lose that one." In this case, however, it's true. BA now must get ready for the rematch with CBHS. This will be another war. MBA must get ready for McCallie...I wouldn't automatically assume a win there either. Best of luck to both teams in the playoffs.