Multiplier

trnbrant

Shame on you for not being DII now and allowing those kids a good Christian education and athletics.

Don't care much for your judgemental attitude but I beleive it comes from ignorance. Let me give you the full story. Years ago when the split came about the thought was" we aren't going to give out athletic scholarships b/c that runs counter to our mission. We are a christian school not an athletic school. If these families REALLY want a christain education they should sacrifice." Sounds good, but that's not how the real world operates. I agree that attitude is "overly spiritual".

Also it was(and is) a matter of economics. With very little aid money to go around now I can just imagine a family that is denied aid. They will raise a stink about "athletes" receiving preferred treatment whether its true or not. These issues; - the preception of athletics getting too much of the money pie - avoiding controversy over who receives aid, might keep us in Div I anyway. Not to mention the extra travel that might be involved with a switch to Div II.

"we aren't going to give out athletic scholarships b/c that runs counter to our mission. We are a christian school not an athletic school. If these families REALLY want a christain education they should sacrifice."

Wow.

My point is that used to be the administration's attitude. A very poor one in my opinion. Things have changed dramatically at CAK mainly because of new administration and a new school board. Years ago you couldn't even designate donations to a specific fund. All donated money went to a general fund then the board decided where the money went. That policy changed five years ago and that's part of the reason CAK's sports programs have been improving. CAK is a large school with many interest who would like to go back to the old way of doing things. I hope they don't read CoachT. :rolleyes: I might be looking for a new job.

Edited by Dalton91

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Years ago you couldn't even designate donations to a specific fund. All donated money went to a general fund then the board decided where the money went. "

That sounds like how the publics used to run and STILL DO.....because of politics and that FREE education that is supposed to be this big advantage for public schools.

That's a good question, looks like they are going to take there ball and move to a different playground.

Its not football that the bucs have to worry about, it could be difficult to compete in the other sports, I am not sure though, maybe Baldcoach could speculate on the issue of how it will affect the bucs in other sports.

Well...certainly for the present Boyd would be very competitive in 2a in Football and Girl's Softball. We probably would do ok in Baseball as that has been improving for the last few years.

As for Basketball we have been struggling in our current region for a couple of years both the guys and girls...I don't think 2a will be any easier...

The rest are minor sports and really won't be affected.

Last I heard we weren't planning on going DII. Contrary to what others sometimes post the school is not really about Athletics, so a bump up in a category isn't that big a deal (except for the unfairness of it...I know, I know, I am biased lol). On the other hand if all the privates are going to bail I don't know if we want to be the last one in DI with a big target on our chests and people bad mouthing us all the time, so we may change our mind if all the Middle Tennessee schools jump ship...I'm really not in the decision loop. :rolleyes:

Hey baldcoach, you will have it made in AA until you win your region 3 or 4 years in a row and go to the state finals and maybe win one, then we will be on here again going through the same old arguments.

You guys will never be satisfied until all private schools are split from publics regardless of their classification and / or success rate. You might as well be completely candid about it.

DII schools cannot give "athletic scholarships". Please see TSSAA financial aid rule. DII schools cannot recruit athletes. Please see TSSAA recruiting rule. Please become more informed. No DII school is an "athletic scholarship school".

Come on over to DII and be happy. No public/private debates. No rumors. No in-school discrimination, ala DI's give FA, but not to athletes -- worse kind of discrimination ever! Done by Christians too.

Edited by charlie

"Years ago you couldn't even designate donations to a specific fund. All donated money went to a general fund then the board decided where the money went. "

That sounds like how the publics used to run and STILL DO.....because of politics and that FREE education that is supposed to be this big advantage for public schools.

CSense..You know that is wrong. I can and do give whatever money I want to support our sports teams at JCM. In fact if I want , I can even designate what I want bought with it if I feel so inclined. You know good and well that if you wanted to donate any money to any public school that you can designate what you want the money to be used for. I`ve done this many times with my public schools. You see a need and you take care of it.

Is the main reason for using the 1.8 to keep private 1A schools from winning so many football championships? And would someone explain the difference between private schools that don't offer aid and open enrollment. Doesn't Memphis have open enrollment? And one final question. Who represents the private schools on the TSSAA board of controls?

Is the main reason for using the 1.8 to keep private 1A schools from winning so many football championships? And would someone explain the difference between private schools that don't offer aid and open enrollment. Doesn't Memphis have open enrollment? And one final question. Who represents the private schools on the TSSAA board of controls?

In short..

Yes.

One charges tuition, the other doesn't.

Yes.

No one...all the TSSAA board members are public ADs

In short..

Yes.

Yes.

I thought that there was one from a small private school in the Memphis area.....I could be wrong.

If these small privates do join the DII's why stay in the TSSAA? Why not go and form their own Association without the T$$AA?

In short..

Yes.

Yes.

I thought that there was one from a small private school in the Memphis area.....I could be wrong.

If these small privates do join the DII's why stay in the TSSAA? Why not go and form their own Association without the T$$AA?

Gwave, go read the article in today's Nashville City Paper by Dominic Bonvissuto, "Monkey Business of Prep Athletics". It will answer some of your questions.

Nashville City Paper

Edited by robjim