Best High School Rivalry

JC4life

When I think of rivalries I think of two historically good programs with a series that hasn't really been one sided. And when I think of that I think of Dobyns-Bennett/Oak Ridge. Although they haven't played in recent years these two teams have had some great battles throughout the years with a lot of those battles coming in do or die playoff games. The overall record between the two schools is tied at 19-19. Doesn't get any better than that. Not to mention the two schools will forever be linked to one another. When the Wildcat football program was started up by the late Ben Martin (OR's 1st HC) he purposefully wanted our colors to be similar to that of Dobyns-Bennett who at the time was the dominant program in Tennessee in 1943.

Edited by SweetScience

When I think of rivalries I think of two historically good programs with a series that hasn't really been one sided. And when I think of that I think of Dobyns-Bennett/Oak Ridge. Although they haven't played in recent years these two teams have had some great battles throughout the years with a lot of those battles coming in do or die playoff games. The overall record between the two schools is tied at 19-19. Doesn't get any better than that. Not to mention the two schools will forever be linked to one another. When the Wildcat football program was started up by the late Ben Martin (OR's 1st HC) he purposefully wanted our colors to be similar to that of Dobyns-Bennett who at the time was the dominant program in Tennessee in 1943.

My thoughts exactly,GB against Oneida-GB against Coalfield these maybe 1A teams but play good sound rivalry football and are usually well coached.

Henry County/Dickson County AKA The Battle of the Barrel (currently on hold, but may start again as soon as next year depending on how the new regions are set up) is and was a phenomenal rivalry. They played every year from 1977-2012 with Henry County holding a narrow 19-17 advantage. Very streaky rivalry, sort of like Alabama/Tennessee, but we played some classics through the years.   

Marion County vs south pittsburg. When you leave sp stadium after losing a close game and your 8 yr old son says "dad I wish we could drop a nuclear bomb on this place"

That's a heated rivalry.

Yes it is. That's hilarious. Those little ones are fun. You better cherish the little league memories. I'm sure you're very involved with the little guy anyway, but make sure it stays that way. Time goes by fast.
  • Upvote 1