WORST HEARTBREAKING LOSSES

westtn2004state

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have several and they all stem from one rivalry

1995 - MBA v BA - Austin Kemp stuffs Max Fuller on a fourth down option play in overtime that sends the Eagles onward to face a mediocre Jefferson Co. team in the Clinic Bowl.

1998 - MBA v BA - Clinic Bowl - Heavily favored Brentwood Ac. sees Benji Walker's pass deflected at the line of scrimmage and picked off by senior Cole Barfield to clinch the game for the Big Red. BA needed a field goal to win.

2000 - MBA v BA - Clinic Bowl - Ingle Martin and a vaunted Big Red team narrowly escape defeat as Junior Kody Bliss's field goal sails wide. Granted it was from 50+ yds on college uprights, he was making them all year.

2003 - MBA v BA - It's hard for me to even come to grips with how those refs mismanaged that game. Nevertheless, it spoiled the Big Red's perfect season and hopes of a top 5 national ranking. We still thumped 'em in the one that counted though.

HM - 2001 Clinic Bowl BA v McCallie

I have several and they all stem from one rivalry

1995 - MBA v BA - Austin Kemp stuffs Max Fuller on a fourth down option play in overtime that sends the Eagles onward to face a mediocre Jefferson Co. team in the Clinic Bowl.

1998 - MBA v BA - Clinic Bowl - Heavily favored Brentwood Ac. sees Benji Walker's pass deflected at the line of scrimmage and picked off by senior Cole Barfield to clinch the game for the Big Red. BA needed a field goal to win.

2000 - MBA v BA - Clinic Bowl - Ingle Martin and a vaunted Big Red team narrowly escape defeat as Junior Kody Bliss's field goal sails wide. Granted it was from 50+ yds on college uprights, he was making them all year.

2003 - MBA v BA - It's hard for me to even come to grips with how those refs mismanaged that game. Nevertheless, it spoiled the Big Red's perfect season and hopes of a top 5 national ranking. We still thumped 'em in the one that counted though.

HM - 2001 Clinic Bowl BA v McCallie

825306414[/snapback]

I have two. 2001 Cloudland vs Ezill Harding state championship, we all thought our cloudland highlanders would win. But we got killed by a private school we knew nothing about.

2003 Cloudland vs CAK round 1 state playoffs. The two years before we were put out by private schools and when we played this one we thought for sure we had it won, we got the big head and led the whole game until the fourth quarter when they made an awsome comeback and won

It has to be Trousdale vs DCA playoffs, not sure of the year 88 or 89. Trousdale winning inside the five yard line going in to put salt in the wound on the last play of the game. Oh my, fumble on the play, Scooter Edwards picks it up goes 99 yards to score as the horn sounds. DCA wins goes on to win the state. Has to be most heartbreaking loss of any I have ever heard of.

It has to be Trousdale vs DCA playoffs, not sure of the year 88 or 89. Trousdale winning inside the five yard line going in to put salt in the wound on the last play of the game. Oh my, fumble on the play, Scooter Edwards picks it up goes 99 yards to score as the horn sounds. DCA wins goes on to win the state. Has to be most heartbreaking loss of any I have ever heard of.

825306483[/snapback]

That's not heartbreaking. That's stupidity. You don't get any extra credit for margin of victory.

Edited by rollredroll

825306483[/snapback]

That sounds alot like a Covington - Martin Westview playoff game a few years back...Westview had the ball and the lead on Covington's 1 yd line and a Westview back fumbles and a Covington player picks the ball up and runs 99 yds for a game winning score...Had to be a sad night for all Westview fans...