Cheatham Co. Schools Shut Down Athletics

ctf33

As one whose mother taught for 30 years and still subs when needed, and whose two sisters teach, one elementary and the other college level and whose wife has taught for 12 years, I have a very personal view on the subject of public education.

This thread is ultimately about the current attitude towards public education and the general public's view of the members of the teaching profession. I have seen it first hand for 30 years and it is just getting worse.

As a general rule, most parents are genuinely concerned about their childs developement, but it's the one's who use the school system as a daycare that I have a problem with. Then there are the folks who don't have kids in the system any longer, that can't see why schools always need more money.

There are many thankless occupations; police, fire, sanitation just to name a few, but I do not know of another occupation that has as much of an impact on the future of an individual as teaching.

I believe that educators and the profession as a whole are being taken for granted and until elected officials and the general public realize that the impact that educators have is the most important aspect of a community, we will continue to see school systems suffer.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerry Bertier:

At the risk of jumping on the pile here, I think you know not of what you speak. I love to hear guys who have signed up for military service talk about what they will do, or how they will react in the heat of combat. Although I believe you truly speak from the heart, until you are in the situation, you don't know. Alot of people say they will never get divorced, but there sure are a lot of them happening. The Christian walk line was totally inappropriate, but I'll just let that go.

I think the point you miss, and I think Truline danced around it, is that All teachers and coaches know that they will never be justly compensated financially for their hard work. However, I feel that it isnt the loss of the supplement that is the point here, but the total lack of recognition, no, the TOTAL DISRESPECT shown toward these coaches who have, thru great personal sacrifice, committed themselves to the ideals of which you speak. Im sure this decision isnt easy for these men to make, however, you cannot condemn them. It is much easier to make hypothetical decisions, then to actually make them. As for your final question about why older people question 18, 19, and 20 year olds, remember asking that question, and then 20 years from now you will laugh at yourself for ever wondering. When I left for college, I thought my father was the biggest idiot in the world, and had no idea how things were "now-a-days". When I was 30, I knew who the idiot was, and marveled at just how smart my dad was.

It is basically the same reason car insurance is higher for 16 year old then for 35 year olds. No substitute for experience. And we know we arent 10 foot tall and bullet proof. And every now and then, we shut up, listen, and learn something.

I know these examples are kinda lame, but I am trying give you something tangible that you can understand.

I don't live in Cheatham Co. but thought I would shed some light on this subject. Several years ago my principal came to me and asked me to coach a middle school sport. I said no thanks because I was already coaching one sport. She asked and asked and asked, then begged and begged saying she couldn't find anyone. I finally said yes. This is when they were having the "dog budget" up in Nashville and the horn blowers up against the income tax.

I told my wife (we have four kids) that I would take the extra supplement and pay her car payment since she would have to pull the slack at home with the kids.

When the job advertisement came out it read because of the uncertain budget problems in Nashville, the coaching position might be for no pay.

I called the director and simply said, "no pay, no extra work". Would this have been fair to my wife to volunteer to deal with someone elses kids while she is dealing with ours?

The next week the director called me back and said they raised the sales tax in Nashville and I would get my full pay. Many people will have you work for free if you agree to it.

Being a Sycamore High Student i totally disagree with what they are thinking. If you cut this and the coaches won't coach what will the athletes do? Their grades could drop and they could get bad trouble. Without sports some kids have no reason not to do this, and the board members obviously do not understand.

I have heard even though they cut 3,000 dollars that the coaches are still coaching. We have a game Friday against Mont. Central and i hope for sure we have alot of poeple there cheering us on in support for Cheatham County Athletics. :unsure:

There are three sides to this issue:

1. The School Board is putting pressure on the County Commission and using sports hostage in the process! Shame on them for using football as a wedge to get more money!

2. The coaches who have became pawns all across the state in these same stupid "bean counting" battles! Cut the salaries of the people at the top and leave the poor coaches alone! Stop taking money from those who can least afford it! How about creating a law or contract that takes 5-10% of the pay away from the Director of Schools and any other local officials who fail to produce a budget in a timely manner! I bet things would get approved and worked out way in advance!

3. The student-athletes are always the last to be considered! They are the ultimate pawns in this game of chess!

Edited by ELA

This has probably been stated previously, but how do the citizens of a county allow the budget to be determined after school has started? I know this happens in a few counties.

Did the board try to divide the coaches by making each principal decide how to make the cuts? If football supplements are not cut, will the football coaches still walk?

Will the commissioners increase funding? If the commissioners don't increase funding, how do they expect the school board to increase the budget?

The County Commission will meet this coming Monday at 7pm (I believe)

It would be in the best interest of the parents, students, coaches, and fans to attend this meeting and show the commission how much you really care. One of my connections says that the commission will turn down any proposal that shuts sports down!!!

The season will continue until the commission and the board get done fighting it out.

Its not over yet...

Will the commissioners increase funding?  If the commissioners don't increase funding, how do they expect the school board to increase the budget?

825341572[/snapback]

Watching the news this morning, one of the County Commissioners spoke at the School Board Meeting. He said that the School Board was given MORE money than they had last year.

Now, that said, I'd like to see how much of that additional money they received was earmarked for state or federally mandated items (i.e. NCLB).

If it did cover the mandated items, then they would have a net gain or zero balance from last year. If it did not cover it, then they would have a net loss from last year. I'd like to know how the increase in TOTAL funding compared to items that were mandated adds to the budget.

I would like to see the breakout on why, with more money than last year, they have to make $1.3 million in cuts.

This whole issue shows why it is SO IMPORTANT to get George W Bush out of office!! Funding from NCLB?!? You must be joking. Republicans want to destroy public schools with vouchers funded by taxpayers to send kids to a school run by Enron or Halliburton, making a profit for them.

I have the upmost respect for every coach in Cheatham County. I am proud to be a part of the Cheatham County school system because of the people who live there & send their children to us to guide them through life. I am especially proud of Coach Halstead for speaking up. He is a first-class individual who seriously cares about his players. He is not going to have to walk out because the citizens of Cheatham County will band together to support them & will ensure it is still football time in Cheatham County.

There was an interesting story on the news tonight about a $500,000 donation to Metro Nashville Schools from a private non-profit group called the Nashville Alliance for Public Education. Why not try to start a non-profit group for athletics statewide? We do have 3 professional sports teams in our state - I think they would be more than happy to donate money to support high school athletics.

Let these stupid small town politicians fight & we will find people who will fund a lot more than $9000 to our athletic programs. Fight the power!

Wow Joe Namath:

You think George Bush is responsible for Cheatham County's unwillingness to fund public education? Wow! It sure seems like if that were the case, there would be a lot less football being played in a lot more counties across the nation. Last time I checked, this situation is unique to Cheatham County alone, at least in this state. But hey, what do I know.

With reasoning like that, I can see why you are so proud to be part of an educational system with such great leadership in the central office.

by the way, great superbowl versus the colts