Maryville vs Melrose

REBELRON

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it stinks rebelyell im on close supervision and i cant talk trash, they've taken away my identity!

825462331[/snapback]

Unless coacht told you directly NO trash talk, I think your ok with a lil, as long as it's football talk. I talked to him earlier today and I don't get that he wants us all to hold hands...just not go way out on a tangent talkin smack.

Kinda like if I said the irish stink and you're a skinny punk, but your one heck of a football fan and you have a great football mind. What do you think of our chances against their spread offense are....stuff like that. <_<

The spread attack of Maryville is going to be too much for Melrose to handle.  But the more I hear about Melrose, the more I think this will be a closer game.  Melrose great speed scares me, but I know our guys will find a way to win.

825462340[/snapback]

I suspect it'll be a lot like the Hillsboro game a couple years ago....although Mel is nothin like Hill offensively(like kwc mentioned). What I mean, is that we'll have that kinda battle on our hands for 3 qtrs.....the 4th qtr is up to you Mel...we'll be there!!

Somedude, check out moyers' lunch thread...

Edited by Rebelyell!!

I suspect it'll be a lot like the Hillsboro game a couple years ago....although Mel is nothin like Hill offensively(like kwc mentioned).  What I mean, is that we'll have that kinda battle on our hands for 3 qtrs.....the 4th qtr is up to you Mel...we'll be there!!

825462356[/snapback]

I have...I'll ask the guys that I'm riding with if they want to, but I'm sure they will want to come. Sounds like fun.

I suspect it'll be a lot like the Hillsboro game a couple years ago....although Mel is nothin like Hill offensively(like kwc mentioned).  What I mean, is that we'll have that kinda battle on our hands for 3 qtrs.....the 4th qtr is up to you Mel...we'll be there!!

825462356[/snapback]

Stamina won't be a problem. Melrose has seperate offensive and defensive personal. They run different players in on different sets as well. Some positions have another guy come in to either give a guy a breather or the coaches like that person in a certain position during certain sets/plays. They will be as fresh as, or as spelled as, however you want to look at it, as Maryville come the 4th quarter.

Quite honestly that's a subjective question to answer. This years Melrose team has done what the prior 2 had not ... get to the championship game. Melrose and Hillsboro are 2 different type of teams ... philosophically speaking. Hillsboro barely threw the ball ... barely. It practically took divine intervention to get the coach to call a pass play. Melrose isn't like that ... never has been. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Could THIS year's Melrose team beat LAST years Hillsboro team. Yes. Would they? ... I don't know. Could LAST years Maryville team beat LAST years Hillsboro team? Probably. But ... they didn't because Maryville was at home .... and the team that beat Maryville got mopped up by Hillsboro.  Who's to say that last years Hillsboro team doesn't mop the floor with your last years team? The Hillsboro team Maryville last beat was the Hillsboro team from 2 years ago ... not last years.

What does any of this prove? Absolutely nothing. I hope that answers your question.

825462032[/snapback]

Ok, KWC I applaud you for keeping this thread civil. Let's just talk football.

Yes, I watch film, but the job won't let me spend the time on it like GQ's staff will poor over it and see what Melrose will give us. I don't mean this like Maryville will only get what the catz give them because, If Maryville shows up, has resolve and is ready to play they will take all they want. People on here are just silly that the catz are going to shut this Rebel team out, its just silly to think it. IF Melrose can hold the Reb's to say 3 TD's then they have a shot because Melrose manages to score about that during this play off run. IF Melrose had such a great defence, then the Melrose "O" must have had many touches and scored more than the averages they have obtained. Now make no mistake I think Melrose has a pretty good team, not a great one but a good one. You have a very good running back and a about a 6-4 WR who looks like he has good speed and excellent hands. He caught a pretty tuff ball over two WH defenders. The defenders played the ball on that one and should have hit that kid and maybe he would have just cought it and not gotten a TD.

The upside as I see it for us Maryville fans, Melrose’s six team region foes had an over record of 24-29 and the play off opponents were 35-14. They averaged just less than 26 points but only allowed just less than 5 per game. But during this play-off run the numbers are closer, with the 4 game averages of 20 vs. 8 points per contest. Maryville on the other hand in vs. it’s seven region foes were overall 42-37 while averaging about 42 points for and allowing 9 per game. During the play-offs Maryville scoring average is 35 for and 10 against. Bottom line Maryville continues to hang near their average game points on teams in the play-offs and only allowed about 2 points more to play-off foes. We also know Maryville’s starters have only been needed in 2 of 4 the play-off games’ fourth quarters and the winning point margin over the four games has been 99 points. Melrose however has had to have their starters step it up in 3 of 4 games to preserve a win while only enjoying a 48 point winning margin in four games. 35 points in the Ridgeway (7-5) game alone. Maryville hung 49 on a 13-0 TN High team and shut them out even with the starting O getting one series in the 2nd half and no defensive starters on the field by the fourth quarter.

My thought is if both teams play the averages Maryville wins and further crowds a big Trophy case. I have nothing but respect for Melrose and know the will give the Rebels their best game of the year, but I think they will fall in to the “Black Hole” in this game.

I will continue to study this game and expect to be looking at film by Wed. and try to break it down further.

Stamina won't be a problem. Melrose has seperate offensive and defensive personal. They run different players in on different sets as well. Some positions have another guy come in to either give a guy a breather or the coaches like that person in a certain position during certain sets/plays. They will be as fresh as, or as spelled as, however you want to look at it, as Maryville come the 4th quarter.

825462386[/snapback]

Well, I'm back after a little run in with coacht. I'm being closely watched so lets keep this about football. The more I read about Melrose the more of a threat they seem to be, and they are not just going to be a pushover. This is very well going to be Maryville's closest game of the year, possibly even coming down to a touchdown or a field goal.

Well, I'm back after a little run in with coacht.  I'm being closely watched so lets keep this about football.  The more I read about Melrose the more of a threat they seem to be, and they are not just going to be a pushover.  This is very well going to be Maryville's closest game of the year, possibly even coming down to a touchdown or a field goal.

825462511[/snapback]

Welcome back, If it comes down to kicking, Maryville has the advantage. Even the Melrose faithful admits that. Go Reb's

Most people are talking about a pretty close game,  but does anyone remember the 98 Championship?  Same thing could happen.  Spread offense against a very athletic, good defensive team from the west.  Who knows?

825462663[/snapback]

Good point oneguy, not trying to be a pecimist, but do you remember the '97 Pearl Cohn game?? Some say this Melrose team is similar, but I dont know about that I never saw the '97 game. Dont get me wrong, I believe Maryville will win. It will be close though.