Maryville vs Melrose

REBELRON

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the turf on MTSU's field is about middle aged.  its extremely rough, we lost russel clement two years ago to some really bad turf burn on his arm, it wasnt pretty at all

825458833[/snapback]

Actually Russell hyperextended his elbow and busted his bursa. He came back in two plays later though. The arm swelled up twice its normal size and was extremely red for a few weeks.

I agree FBE.  The games should be played at the colleges with grass.  The venues could roate every year, for fairness sake.  So, for instance, one year the game is played at UT and the next maybe at memphis or vandy.  Does memphis have turf?  If they do, stirke that.  You get my point though...

825459433[/snapback]

Playing at the colleges that use grass-like turf wouldn't be bad. Memphis is installing FieldTurf this spring/summer...it plays exactly like grass, the only difference is that it drains so much better and saves a ton of money on maintenance...looks better too.

Just a generalization from looking at the brackets, but Melrose does not have overpowering offense.  Their defense is so good that they just have to score more than the other team which isn't hard because their defense is so outstanding.  Dyersburg they scored 13, ridgeway they blanked 35-0, JCM they scored 14, and against WhiteHouse 20.  That's 3 out of 4 close games (combined decided by 14 points, less than 5 per game).  I take Melrose fans' word that we have not seen a defense like theirs, but at the same time, if theirs is best Maryville is not far behind.  If Dyersburg and JCM can hold Melrose to below 20 points, I think we can too.  I also think we can score more than 7 or 12 against their D respectively.  Maryville had a couple close one's too, so both these teams have been in tight games the past few weeks.  I think the Maryville Defense wins this one while the Offense does what they always do.  If we can score 4 td's plus the pat's Maryville will win, in my humble opinion.

825460903[/snapback]

TruRebelPlaya,

You raised some interesting points about Melrose. I'd like to provide a correction, however, just for the record: Melrose beat JCM 20 to 13, not 14 to 12, as is shown on this website! I KNOW. I attended the game.

I agree with most of what you said with this exception: I really don't think that Maryville will score 4 TD's vs Melrose. If they do, then yes -- I believe Maryville will likely win. Melrose's offense is very capable of scoring lots of points, but shoots itself in the foot, OFTEN! If this happens VS. Maryville it'll likely result in a long ride back to Memphis, for us.

i think Maryville can pull this one out, and i dont think 4 TDs will be a problem, i doubt we will have 6 but i think 4 is manageable.  their offense has to have a weakness somehwere not to have scored lots of points against those teams, not saying they are bad, just saying they arent Maryville's defense.  if there is a fault somewhere you know Jim Gaylor will be on top of it.  I think MHS will win this one by 10 points at least.

825460940[/snapback]

RebelRaider,

Melrose's offensive woes ("weakness" is NOT an accurate description of Melrose's offense) have been the DIRECT result of (untimely) penalties, and turnovers. Those miscues resulted in numerous big-plays being called back, plus several T.D's being wiped out!

IMO, Melrose can't afford these type of errors vs Maryville. When Melrose does limit its penalties (mainly), it tends to put lots of points on the board.

As for the matchup this Saturday...I'm simply gonna say, I'm expecting a hard fought, CLOSE game. The best team WILL win.

The Wildcats will be flying on that turf saturday afternoon. Maryville will have to catch Melrose if they want to win.  Go Golden Wildcats!!!

825461256[/snapback]

After watching some film, not allot. Melrose does not look any faster than Knox Central. We all know what happened there. It was a tough play-off late win, but it was a win.

I will say speed only helps really, if a RB get's a good push from his "O" line or gets open on a sweep around the corner. Maryville's DE primary responsibility is to not allow anyone to get out side. Most good RB's will cut inside and with Maryville's speed, that many seem to think does not exist, will become the "Black Hole"! I do think a great RB like Cooper will get some yards but if he is slowed and the passing is not effective Melrose will lose this game.

Maryville will score on Melrose I think just enough to win the game. I do think the game will be close. Biggest advantage, Maryville's kicking game.

Playing at the colleges that use grass-like turf wouldn't be bad.  Memphis is installing FieldTurf this spring/summer...it plays exactly like grass, the only difference is that it drains so much better and saves a ton of money on maintenance...looks better too.

825461213[/snapback]

Is that the stuff with the rubber pellets and sand in it? Yeah, they say it's great...good update, thanks.

Hey bombsquad...still gettin over that butt whoopin Alcoa put on ya? I tried to tell ya man. thumb

Edited by dmoyers1

After watching some film, not allot.  Melrose does not look any faster than Knox Central.  We all know what happened there.  It was a tough play-off late win, but it was a win.

I will say speed only helps really, if a RB get's a good push from his "O" line or gets open on a sweep around the corner.  Maryville's DE primary responsibility is to not allow anyone to get out side.  Most good RB's will cut inside and with Maryville's speed, that many seem to think does not exist, will become the "Black Hole"!  I do think a great RB like Cooper will get some yards but if he is slowed and the passing is not effective Melrose will lose this game. 

Maryville will score on Melrose I think just enough to win the game.  I do think the game will be close.  Biggest advantage, Maryville's kicking game.

825461415[/snapback]

FBE, you've finally seen film. Good! You can dispell anymore myths that may appear. TraderB has given you Maryville fans a very good perspective of this Melrose team. Dandy82 has given you a good perspective from a White House fan's point of view. I've also tried to convey a perpspective as well. Finally ... a Maryville fan has seen film!

Let me say this about the Melrose offense, for those who seem to think they are inept or that they lack the ability to score. Their offense is supperb. They can score on anyone. Period. IF the offense is clicking and they don't have costly mistakes ... they march down the field every time. They are stopped only by themselves. They are their own worse enemy. PLEASE ... don't jump to any smack talking conclusions. I'm not saying that Maryville can't stop them from moving the ball. I am saying ... everytime they have been stoped in the past ... they have stoped themselves ... not the opposition. The Rideway game is a prime example ... they played mistake free football ... and won the game going away. They played a good game against White House ... and had a couple of self-stalling drives in that game as well. IF Melrose plays mistake free on offense ... I say they probably will win. IF the Melrose offense stalls itself ... I say Maryville will probably win. Your QB is excellent, his record speaks for itself. They don't just nominate nor do they hand out the Mr. Football awards to just anybody. I must say that the White House QB was an exceptional QB as well. I'm not saying the White House QB is Cade ... but he was a very good QB ... that was good competition for Melrose to face comming into this game. He was big, strong, fast, mobile, smart, and had a cannon for an arm. He also had good recievers to throw the ball to, and a Mr. Football candidate RB in his backfield. Yep ... this will be a very good ... close game.

That's my assesment of the up and comming game ... see you there!