Ooltewah Head Coach Resigns

GradfromtheNest

ELA, I agree with you on many of your points, however, Coach Monroe is going to teach at Ooltewah. You say he was offered the job at Chatt Central which he was, but though they are in the same county, they aren't the same job. First of all Ooltewah is about 15 minutes from his house in cleveland, he can be there in no time. Second of all, Ooltewah does have more athletes and more support. All of us that know coach Monroe understand that he wants to win and win now. The Chatt. Central job wasn't the same job as Ooltewah. I do agree there are young coaches out there who feel they are ready, whose to say that Benny isn't going to groom a young coach who will be ready to take over when he retires again. Good Luck Coach Monroe.

I am probably way out of line in saying what I'm about to say: but that has never stopped me before so here goes....

I have a question for everyone.  Wasn't Coach Monroe offered the job at Chattanooga Central and turned it down?  If so, why did he turn it down?  The money is exactly the same in all Hamilton County Schools and I know for a fact he doesn't want to teach. He will just be drawing a coaching supplement while he works in his family business and draws his retirement check from the state. I have no doubt this man is a great football coach, his record speaks volumes and no one should question that; but wouldn't it be much better to hire someone who is going to be in the building full-time, teaching the students he will be coaching everyday?

From a coach's standpoint, I respect men like Coach Monroe and others who have recently came out of retirement to coach again; however, every time this happens it limits some great younger coaches in the prime of their career from moving up the ladder and believe me there are some great young men out there who are ready for the job. Not to mention middle age men who have head coaching experience and a respectable resume.

I didn't apply for this position so I feel I can speak my mind about it. I don't think any school should hire someone to be a head coach at their school unless that person is willing to work full-time in the classroom and on the field. You get a much better feel for the kids and their families when you see them in the halls everyday. Again, I have no disrespect for anyone; this is just how I feel about this situation. Coaching high school football is more about the management of coaching assets and personal decisions than it is X's and O's. I have no doubt men like Coach Monroe can do that part of the job to near perfection; however, the more intangible aspect of the job comes down to those interpersonal relationships that one develops with the students in your class and the teachers in the halls.

I never liked the idea of non-faculty head coaches and this is why! It may work in some states but I would much rather see someone who is in the halls every day having one-on-one interactions with the students throughout the year.

This is just my two cents worth. It may not even be worth two cents but I think I speak for a lot of middle aged coaches on this issue! Coach Smith at Soddy has more than paid his dues in the county and Coach James at East Ridge is well respected both on and off the field as a coach and a teacher. I would hope that the people who are making these decisions would look at these two men before they bring back a legend who has already retired and moved on with his life.

825645766[/snapback]

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is someone saying it's for sure Monroe?  I hear there are several "Finalists!"  Another rumor is that Zach Sanders and Kevin Burke have applied in a joint-application.  They are applying to coach for free as long as they will be able to make all personnel decisions.  Sounds like a good deal...with the budget situation it's a no-lose situation for the school.  And we all know they can win.

825645608[/snapback]

If they hire Kevin Burke they better be ready to pay up.....he's worth every dime! :lol:

If they hire Kevin Burke they better be ready to pay up.....he's worth every dime!  :lol:

825645849[/snapback]

They can't "Pay up" because the county will not allow any booster money to pay extra for the head coach. HC is a strange place right now if you are a coach and your resources are going to be very limited.

If Coach Monroe is going to teach then I have no problem with it but I would like to see one of the two men I mentioned earlier get the job! Coach Smith has done a good job at Soddy and has head coaching experience. Coach James is a proven winner and he will do the "PR" work that every head coach must do, plus he will reach out and get good people around him. There may be other good head coaches and assistants applying for the position that I don't know about so I wouldn't rush to judgment that Benny is it just yet!

Maybe he is the guy, I don't know... we'll all have to wait and see! :lol:

Edited by ELA

Why is ELA pushing coach James so much when he is already a head coach? And for coach Smith @ SD, yes he might be a great person and a good assistant but his head coaching resume is not so good. And does ELA truly believe that if Benny gets the job that he will not be spending time @ the school even if he does not teach a full schedule. Come on ELA you have got to know that Benny will be there the majority of the time especially if he has a few classes to teach, and even if he does not teach he will be there doing something. But from what I understand he will be teaching so I suppose it is a moot point. And believe me Benny "is the guy"!

Why is ELA pushing coach James so much when he is already a head coach? And for coach Smith @ SD, yes he might be a great person and a good assistant but his head coaching resume is not so good. And does ELA truly believe that if Benny gets the job that he will not be spending time @ the school even if he does not teach a full schedule. Come on ELA you have got to know that Benny will be there the majority of the time especially if he has a few classes to teach, and even if he does not teach he will be there doing something. But from what I understand he will be teaching so I suppose it is a moot point. And believe me Benny "is the guy"!

825645875[/snapback]

why not push someone that is a coach at another school, that happens all the time, i mean look, the tennessee men's basketball team just got a coach from another school who didn't get fired or anything, its part of sports, you try and move on to a better place, and ooltewah would be a better place than east ridge, i actually like the idea of james coming in...and how are you so sure that benny "is the guy"..i dont know if i can trust your judgement, i mean you were so sure that mcminn would be vying for the region championship last year, when they were really hoping they would come anywhere close to a .500 record