Why doesn't maryville play other states top teams?

I personally would like to see Maryville play a team from another state. When I lived in GA, AL, and FL all I heard was how much better high school ball was down there. So I would like to see how the best from TN competes.

Personally if you were taking the best teams from any of those states to play Maryville I would have to think those teams would be much better because of the quality of athletes in those areas. Look where UT focuses at and always has because of this. Some of those teams in Florida and Georgia have a couple of D-1 prospects every single year and Maryville may only turn out one every three or four years. I also personally think there are at least ten schools in the State of Tennessee that could beat Maryville anytime they wanted if they had a coach anywhere close to what we have and thank goodness they don't. Maryville is gifted with a lot of good high school quality players that are very smart and the team has so many of these type kids that the competition inside makes them better.  A good friend made a good statement last week which is very true. He said when it comes to playing a big game with better athletes that GQ comes to play chess while the other coach comes to play checkers. That's why we pull off big wins against Blackman and Oakland which have much more better athletes across the board. In states like Florida and Georgia the coaching is much better because it's all about winning or your gone. Case in point was a very good local coach that went to Georgia and didn't last very long. 

Personally if you were taking the best teams from any of those states to play Maryville I would have to think those teams would be much better because of the quality of athletes in those areas. Look where UT focuses at and always has because of this. Some of those teams in Florida and Georgia have a couple of D-1 prospects every single year and Maryville may only turn out one every three or four years. I also personally think there are at least ten schools in the State of Tennessee that could beat Maryville anytime they wanted if they had a coach anywhere close to what we have and thank goodness they don't. Maryville is gifted with a lot of good high school quality players that are very smart and the team has so many of these type kids that the competition inside makes them better.  A good friend made a good statement last week which is very true. He said when it comes to playing a big game with better athletes that GQ comes to play chess while the other coach comes to play checkers. That's why we pull off big wins against Blackman and Oakland which have much more better athletes across the board. In states like Florida and Georgia the coaching is much better because it's all about winning or your gone. Case in point was a very good local coach that went to Georgia and didn't last very long. 

Alcoa's former head John Reid will be coaching Rome this season.

Alcoa's former head John Reid will be coaching Rome this season.

He was coach at Tift County and went 2-8, 5-5 and 7-4 last year. He did a good job at Alcoa and I really think having those two state championships helped him in moving on up the ladder in Georgia. The school he is taking over was 3-6 last year and fired the head coach. I did see where he was going to make 95k just for coaching football which is a lot more than coaches make around here but that is also the reason a job as a head coach there is like being in a pressure cooker. Hope the man good luck.

• Upvote 1

I personally would like to see Maryville play a team from another state. When I lived in GA, AL, and FL all I heard was how much better high school ball was down there. So I would like to see how the best from TN competes.

Right Bc9995 that's all I'm saying. Why not see how you stack up against tough competition from other states.

Just my two cents, I think the Rebels would do well against out of state competition. I think a lot of teams don't fool with it is because of the expense of traveling and such and its a lot of money to do this. Buses, gas, hotels, food etc...Back in 2005 Riverdale traveled up to Ohio, Columbus area to play and it was not cheap! 

Right Bc9995 that's all I'm saying. Why not see how you stack up against tough competition from other states.

I think any time someone mentions Maryville playing out of state people assume you're trying to trash maryville. But like you I just want to see how TN compares to other states.

I think any time someone mentions Maryville playing out of state people assume you're trying to trash maryville. But like you I just want to see how TN compares to other states.

Yeah it didn't take long for me to get bashed lol. But I definitely understand the high expenses it would take to travel. But if anyone would have the money, maryvilles football program should.

Personally if you were taking the best teams from any of those states to play Maryville I would have to think those teams would be much better because of the quality of athletes in those areas. Look where UT focuses at and always has because of this. Some of those teams in Florida and Georgia have a couple of D-1 prospects every single year and Maryville may only turn out one every three or four years. I also personally think there are at least ten schools in the State of Tennessee that could beat Maryville anytime they wanted if they had a coach anywhere close to what we have and thank goodness they don't. Maryville is gifted with a lot of good high school quality players that are very smart and the team has so many of these type kids that the competition inside makes them better. A good friend made a good statement last week which is very true. He said when it comes to playing a big game with better athletes that GQ comes to play chess while the other coach comes to play checkers. That's why we pull off big wins against Blackman and Oakland which have much more better athletes across the board. In states like Florida and Georgia the coaching is much better because it's all about winning or your gone. Case in point was a very good local coach that went to Georgia and didn't last very long.

Barn I believe your getting d-1 guys and sec guys confused. Maryville had at least 3 or 4 guys sign d-1 last year didn't they?

Just my two cents, I think the Rebels would do well against out of state competition. I think a lot of teams don't fool with it is because of the expense of traveling and such and its a lot of money to do this. Buses, gas, hotels, food etc...Back in 2005 Riverdale traveled up to Ohio, Columbus area to play and it was not cheap!

I agree, it ain't cheap. I would LOVE to see Maryville vs. Buford out of GA!