Florida proposes unique playoff format - Can TN something similar?

Amid heated debate over our own postseason format, Florida's FHSAA has proposed something completely different than anything seen here. It could go into effect there as early as 2017.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/article77312762.html

The gist:

-No more districts, only regions

-Playoff births and seeds based solely on points system

-Points are earned by playing teams with more wins, with more points being awarded if you beat them.

-Bonus points for playing up a class.

What do you think of this? While it is unlikely that an exact copy will be implemented by the TSSAA, I think this could be considered as a model for whenever the playoffs are up for realignment. One of my favorite parts about the highly unpopular "Z-Plan" was that every game counted for something. But one of the worst parts was the fact that teams would less likely to play good teams. That being said, it needs to be popular, so what do you guys think?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amid heated debate over our own postseason format, Florida's FHSAA has proposed something completely different than anything seen here. It could go into effect there as early as 2017.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/article77312762.html

The gist:

-No more districts, only regions

-Playoff births and seeds based solely on points system

-Points are earned by playing teams with more wins, with more points being awarded if you beat them.

-Bonus points for playing up a class.

What do you think of this? While it is unlikely that an exact copy will be implemented by the TSSAA, I think this could be considered as a model for whenever the playoffs are up for realignment. One of my favorite parts about the highly unpopular "Z-Plan" was that every game counted for something. But one of the worst parts was the fact that teams would less likely to play good teams. That being said, it needs to be popular, so what do you guys think?

Horrible idea and logistics nightmare.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong cause it was before my time. But several decades ago wasn't the playoffs on a point system??

Yes.  I remember Maryville being undefeated along with Knox Rule in 1970 and Maryville had more points based on opponents.  Maryville went to the playoffs and won a state championship while undefeated Rule stayed home.  Two years later the playoffs began to expand in an effort to minimize the effect of the point system.

Sounds like Florida is going back in time.  Bad idea.  We've been there.

Edited by OldRebel2

The problem with playoff systems that make it really hard to make the playoffs is they aren't fair. Some regions/districts are much tougher than others. People who want to make it tougher to get into the playoffs say it would make the playoffs more exciting and there would be less blowouts. That isn't true by any stretch of the imagination. The "good" teams from weak regions that make the playoffs would still get blown out. It wouldn't change anything.

If you want the playoffs to be more difficult you can do the following:

Place both D1 & D2 back together

Have Class AAAA, AAA, AA & A

Non financial aid giving private schools must play in AA, AAA or AAAA

Financial aid giving private schools must play in AAA or AAAA

Go back to districts and only take the champion & runner up to the playoffs

All remaining teams with 6 wins are invited to go to a bowl game if invited.

Now how many of you want to go this direction?

Edited by cbg

I thought Ohio had the playoff system where you got points for beating people with a better record and in a bigger class or has that been changed?

Yes, Ohio does something similar, and it works pretty well. Biggest issue in Ohio is that there is no public-private split, and that is still a major debate. The parochial/private schools tend to dominate most sports. 

Edited by osunut2

If you want the playoffs to be more difficult you can do the following:

Place both D1 & D2 back together

Have Class AAAA, AAA, AA & A

Non financial aid giving private schools must play in AA, AAA or AAAA

Financial aid giving private schools must play in AAA or AAAA

Go back to districts and only take the champion & runner up to the playoffs

All remaining teams with 6 wins are invited to go to a bowl game if invited.

Now how many of you want to go this direction?

question I have seen bowl games on here but was kind of curious is that like a county school thing because I never heard about a metro school playing in a bowl game??