It's time to separate the privates

bigb31072

Yes. Only way to avoid is to come in as a freshman. Doesn't matter where you play middle school. You can apply for a hardship but I would assume they are hard to get.

They are impossible - we tried when my son came over from another private.  I thought we had as good a case as anyone could have - got a phone call from Bernie himself telling us too bad.

I think most open zone schools and city school districts, like Union City, Greeneville, Alcoa, and Maryville are better funded and have a better product all the way around.  Not just academics.  It comes down to community support.

However, no one can deny that an open zone policy significantly increases the pool of student athletes and makes it much easier for athletes to find their way to the school.

I think most open zone schools and city school districts, like Union City, Greeneville, Alcoa, and Maryville are better funded and have a better product all the way around. Not just academics. It comes down to community support.

However, no one can deny that an open zone policy significantly increases the pool of student athletes and makes it much easier for athletes to find their way to the school.

Great post!

Now that's funny. Private talking about open zone. How many non athletes does the privates recruit.Its probably not the open zone killing JCM.

The three major private schools in Jackson rarely get a student/athlete from JCM. I know USJ and JC doesn't have a player that has transferred from JCM. TCA has one who is a junior and will not likey ever see any playing time on the FB field other than JV. Most of the families at JCM can't afford the private tuition. It's much easier for Southside to recruit a student athlete because it's free. Private schools have not hurt JCM or any other public school in Jackson. Madison Academic Academy usually gets 5 to 8 TCA transfers after 8th grade and the same goes for USJ. Madison is an outstanding public school with high academic standards. Enrollment there is based on lottery system. There are two other private schools in Jackson. Sacred Heart is on the rise and will be good athletically soon. Already pretty good in basketball.