Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Violet
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Maroon
  • Orange
  • Gold
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Welcome to the upgraded message boards!  Please note: if you have been using a username to sign in that is different than the handle (display name) displayed on the boards, you must now sign in with either your handle (display name) or the email address associated with your account.  If you don't know what this means, then it probably doesn't affect you!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest catfish-hunter

Best Teams in TN High School Football History

Recommended Posts

Jefferson County in 1987, the only team even close is Tn High in 1971. Jefferson County beat Oak Ridge 52-0 in second round of playoffs that year, that ought to tell you something.

825653493[/snapback]

 

There are a number of teams worthy of consideration. Two teams come to mind which are worth mentioning.

 

Murfressboro Central 1970 - Undefeated and Dominent all season. Destroyed a good Melrose team in the championship game 36-0

 

Melrose 1996 - 3 current NFL Players Cedrick Wilson (Steelers), Andre Lott (Redskins), Kindal Moorehead (Panthers) who were starters. A 4th current NFL player , Dewayne Robertson (Jets) was a Freshman. In addition, WR, Kevin Taylor was All State and the number 10 rated college prospect n the state. A fifth player, DE David Paine, went on to be 1st team all USA Today in 98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2005 at 7:04 AM, orangemoundwest said:

 

There are a number of teams worthy of consideration. Two teams come to mind which are worth mentioning.

 

Murfressboro Central 1970 - Undefeated and Dominent all season. Destroyed a good Melrose team in the championship game 36-0

 

Melrose 1996 - 3 current NFL Players Cedrick Wilson (Steelers), Andre Lott (Redskins), Kindal Moorehead (Panthers) who were starters. A 4th current NFL player , Dewayne Robertson (Jets) was a Freshman. In addition, WR, Kevin Taylor was All State and the number 10 rated college prospect n the state. A fifth player, DE David Paine, went on to be 1st team all USA Today in 98

1998 Milan won 2A gold ball....1999 Milan won 3A gold....only team in TSSAA history to win a gold one year and move up a class and win it again....more than 1 source said 1999 Milan was the best team of all classifications that played that weekend.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2005 at 10:34 AM, johnnyboy said:

Jefferson County in 1987, the only team even close is Tn High in 1971. Jefferson County beat Oak Ridge 52-0 in second round of playoffs that year, that ought to tell you something.

Todd Collins and company.  A site to see.  Big fast .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not from Nashville. But saw the Maplewood team play Lawrence Co in Clinic bowl think 71or72 so many went D1 / most teams mentioned would have hard time staying on field with them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1986 Austin-East Roadrunners. One of the greatest teams to come out of Knoxville!

  • Led by Mr. Football winner & Parade All-American, Leroy Thompson
  • Had 2 1000+ yd rushers in Thompson & Joey Smith 
  • The defense was also dominant and had several shut-outs
  • Went undefeated (15-0) & played in a conference that included Knoxville Rule, Alcoa, & Maryville among others. We beat Maryville twice that year!
  • Beat Brentwood Academy in the Clinic Bowl to win the 2A State Championship
  • Several players from that team went on to play college ball. Most notably Leroy Thompson at Penn State & Joey Smith at Louisville
  • Thompson & Smith went on to play in the NFL.
    • Thompson with the Steelers, Patriots, Chiefs, & Buccaneers
    • Smith with the Giants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:47 PM, Roadrunner89 said:

The 1986 Austin-East Roadrunners. One of the greatest teams to come out of Knoxville!

  • Led by Mr. Football winner & Parade All-American, Leroy Thompson
  • Had 2 1000+ yd rushers in Thompson & Joey Smith 
  • The defense was also dominant and had several shut-outs
  • Went undefeated (15-0) & played in a conference that included Knoxville Rule, Alcoa, & Maryville among others. We beat Maryville twice that year!
  • Beat Brentwood Academy in the Clinic Bowl to win the 2A State Championship
  • Several players from that team went on to play college ball. Most notably Leroy Thompson at Penn State & Joey Smith at Louisville
  • Thompson & Smith went on to play in the NFL.
    • Thompson with the Steelers, Patriots, Chiefs, & Buccaneers
    • Smith with the Giants

That team was loaded. Thompson is probably the best RB I've ever seen in high school. He finished his career with 41 interceptions too. Heckuva BB player as well.

I can remmeber a few names from that year; Joe Cody, Joe Fishback, Von Reeves...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2005 at 6:32 PM, db21 said:

Marion County (92) Beat Brentwood Academy in the state finals when no one gave them a chance. Also the Warriors (95) Led by Eric Westmoreland defeated the likes of 5A teams Soddy-Daisy, Rhea Co. also a 4A team in Shelbyville and add DII Private Baylor also on their way to the state title. That group of players formed a mini dynasty as Marion Co. went 56-1 with 3 state titles during those seniors 4 years.

they were the reason Cartlon quit playin PUBS......also sen them make BA leave a runner-up gold ball trophy on the filed one time

Booger just sayin :evil:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ant read all the post...but ant nobody mentionin the early 1962 Puprple pounders of Harrison.......they might even need to have another year or 3 mentioned.......Booger thinkin that not one of the teams already talked bout could have beat these old cats......

....etter could put out some teams on the grid iron

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:16 AM, Booger said:

they were the reason Cartlon quit playin PUBS......also sen them make BA leave a runner-up gold ball trophy on the filed one time

Booger just sayin :evil:

I hope that you are not serious about Carlton not wanting to play the public schools?  The reason that D2 was formed is because Brentwood Academy defeated Riverdale for the state championship and that is when Rankin and the principal of Riverdale started to lobby for a private school division.  Randy Thomas (former coach at Springfield) predicted the split would happen when BA defeated Rankin.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2018 at 3:31 PM, cbg said:

I hope that you are not serious about Carlton not wanting to play the public schools?  The reason that D2 was formed is because Brentwood Academy defeated Riverdale for the state championship and that is when Rankin and the principal of Riverdale started to lobby for a private school division.  Randy Thomas (former coach at Springfield) predicted the split would happen when BA defeated Rankin.  

serius as a nose wart...so it was cause of riverdales state rankin...what was their rankin when that happened

Booger just sayin :twisted:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...