Oldest and Longest Running Rivalries

THSVikings2004

just going to say Bradley central vs Walker valley will never be as big as Bradley vs Cleveland. although i do hate walker valley alot.

GO BEARS!

825694170[/snapback]

I totally agree with u on that one.. Name another two rivals in the state that couldn't play for 10 years due to intense competition these two teams have one another. Paint was thrown down the halls and the schools were just getting to vandalized from them to keep playing. shut in down in 92 and started it back up in 01. Cleveland has been on top since. I hate walker valley as well..

jaxoncm,

With all due respect, I am right.  As the rivalry WAS Jackson High vs. Brownsville High, this rivalry ended when Jackson High merged with Merry High and Brownsville merged with the other school.  You will not find a record book anywhere that recognizes JCM or Haywood Co. playing football in 1912.  Those two schools simply did NOT exist in 1912.  JCM and Haywood Co. began playing football against each other in the late 60's when both schools formed.  And that is the truth.

825754360[/snapback]

I am not going to argue about the rivalry or the length of it. I just wish you would get the names correct.

To my knowledge, there has never been a high school in Brownsville named Brownsville High School. Before integration, white students attended Haywood County High School and black students attended Carver High School.

When the two schools were consolidated, the school was officially named Haywood High School.

On another note, the Knoxville News Sentinel reported that Alcoa - Maryville is the

state's oldest rivalry. Both of those schools are great, and I have no problem recognizing their rivalry as the state's oldest.

However, since you seem to have proclaimed yourself the rivalry police, you might check this out. Alcoa High and Aloca Hall High School were consolidated in the 60s or 70s. I would assume that William Blount and Heritage picked up most of the students from Everett, Porter, and Lanier when they were closed, but Maryville High could have picked up some of those students too.

The truth is consolidation changed a lot of schools throughout the state. Barney, you better get to work on these rivalry records and nip all this misinformation in the bud!

• 15 years later...
10 minutes ago, TheCommissioner said:

Clarksville High and Springfield High have played against each other for a 100 years @LEON or @JacketLover or @Kevin38 can give you the breakdown and win/loss totals 

Yeah, I have heard this is the longest running rivalry in the state, I have no confirmation on that though, I am sure LEON would know, also dont know the win/loss totals, once again LEON's dept...

Edited by Kevin38

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 12:45 PM, FridayMainEvent said:

If you read thru this thread, you'll find older rivals than those two.  Assuming the info is correct.

Few have had the drama going back to 1924 as the South Pittsburg - Jasper rivalry has.  Now Pruitt's McChickens had cover to slip away with a 1 point loss instead of the wood shed thumping they had waiting on them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...